SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So 22 lr rifle is not the best choice for fox **update**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So 22 lr rifle is not the best choice for fox **update** Login/Join 
posted
I live right next to a farm that used to be my grandmother's. The person who bought it went to the same school I did but he's 10 years younger than me. We have become good friends and he will come over shooting at least a few times a month.
He called me at work yesterday (he works 1st shift and I work 2nd shift) and informed me that a fox was getting close to his chickens. He ran outside, yelled and it ran off. He shoots but he's not much of the hunter type.
I told him that I'd take care of it. He supplies me with fresh chicken when he slaughters them so I have a vested interest.
This morning I got up early and figured I'd watch the edge of the property just to see. I've never hunted fox but have seen them in the morning and at dusk when I'm not working.
At about 08:00 a fox comes out of the woods on the edge. He's ~50 yards away. I slowly raise the rifle(a Marlin semi auto with a 3x9 scope on it) and aim for his shoulder. Pull the trigger and down he goes.
Now I've hunted deer, bear and caribou successfully not to mention small game and for some reason, I relaxed. Rifle put on safety and just laying there prone. The fox jumped up and before I could get into any type of position to shoot, he was gone. Rabbits and squirrels really don't need follow up shots and usually you'll see those fall and they're done.
I hate wounding an animal and having it run off. The few deer and 1 caribou I got dropped right away. The bear, black bear in Quebec, did take off but only went about 20 yards.
So now I have to track a wounded animal. Done it before but where the fox ran is thick and swampy. Rifle is not going to cut it. Back to the house for a pistol as a sidearm.
I grabbed my P220, OWB holster and a spare magazine. Back to the woods. I did find him after an hour or so and he actually only went about 30 yards but the blood trail wound around everywhere. Did not have to use the Sig, thankfully, but am now in the process of thinking what rifle for fox.
223/5.56 seems to much at under 100 yards and would most likely do a lot of damage, not that I'm keeping the fur. This is strictly pest removal.
I was going to use my long range rifle, a Savage 243 Winchester that's been worked on but again, I think it's to much and with a 30x fixed scope, it's to much magnification at close range.
22 magnum? 17 hmr? What do you guys think and if you've had experience, please share.
Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joatmonv,

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You can get 1700 fps hyper velocity .22LR.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Not keeping the fur?

223 would be fine, as would 22mag or 17HMR if you keep shots under 100 yards.

Fox are quite small. 22lr just doesn't do much other than punch a clean hole in a body shot. Even the CCI Subsonics that I favor for squirrel hunting. They DO mushroom via the hollowpoint, and I know this because I have recovered intact bullets in the far side hide of a squirrel. With a headshot they make a definitive *SMACK* and you know that squirrel is dead.

I was sitting quietly while squirrel hunting and a juvenile coyote ran by. It took several body shots to stop him and then a head shot to put him down. He was small, not much bigger than a fox. And he was only 15 yards or so away when I shot him the first time.

For me 22lr is a small game/target round only.

I wouldn't grab a 243 if you own a 223 but if it is all you have and have a safe backstop it will certainly work. But a 30x fixed scope is, as you mentioned, non-ideal for hunting. Especially a quick critter like a fox.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Not keeping the fur?

223 would be fine, as would 22mag or 17HMR if you keep shots under 100 yards.

Fox are quite small. 22lr just doesn't do much other than punch a clean hole in a body shot. Even the CCI Subsonics that I favor for squirrel hunting. They DO mushroom via the hollowpoint, and I know this because I have recovered intact bullets in the far side hide of a squirrel. With a headshot they make a definitive *SMACK* and you know that squirrel is dead.

I was sitting quietly while squirrel hunting and a juvenile coyote ran by. It took several body shots to stop him and then a head shot to put him down. He was small, not much bigger than a fox. And he was only 15 yards or so away when I shot him the first time.

For me 22lr is a small game/target round only.

I wouldn't grab a 243 if you own a 223 but if it is all you have and have a safe backstop it will certainly work. But a 30x fixed scope is, as you mentioned, non-ideal for hunting. Especially a quick critter like a fox.

Not after the fur at all. I've done my share of fur hunting/trapping but this is purely to get rid of the predators.
I was going to grab the AR this morning but decided against it. The Eotech is sighted in at 40 yards and would have made quick work on the fox.
I have a bunch of rifles but most are for big game. I will probably stop at my LGS here soon and look at a 22 magnum topped with a good optic.
I was thinking of trying a head shot this morning and I'm sure a 22 lr would work there but a side shot presented itself and it's a bigger target than a head.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you don't want the fur, then use whatever you like.

But I think a .22lr is fine. Maybe use an increased velocity round and a hollowpoint and not standard velocity.

Maybe the .22 magnum or even .22 Hornet would be better, but I wouldn't buy a rifle just for the odd fox hunt. Not that that should stop you if just wanted a .22 magnum.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the 17 HMR. The velocity is devistating.
I have dropped many a fox in their tracks with it.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
.17 WSM. Zoom zoom.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
works behind the ear

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Shotgun with #2 shot ought to work pretty well.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Just use the AR.

Unless it is an excuse to buy another gun.

Which is cool too. Cool

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Just use the AR.

Unless it is an excuse to buy another gun.

Which is cool too. Cool

Priced a nice set up in 17 hmr. Weaver rail on top and I looked at a Leupold scope.
Seeing as I know there will be more fox, I'll probably get it. And yes, it's an excuse for another gun albeit a rifle as I usually buy pistols.
It can sit along side the big game rifles and have company. Smile

The Constable
posted Hide Post
.17 hmr.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My go to round for fox is a 17 hornet. I have yet to have one get away. With a decent rest 200 yard shots are not a problem, day or night.

Posts: 225 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
If you've already got an AR-15 (5.56), why not use that?
A solid hit and Mr. fox ain't going anywhere.

Your .243 would do very well, too (yeah, you might have too much scope on it, but whatever)

However, if you're just looking for an excuse to buy another gun, that's cool.
It's not like we all haven't done that!

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
That's one thing I learned early on in my hunting life. USE ENOUGH GUN. Any responsible hunter will tell you that. Sounds like you're killing the fox just to kill something, and that in itself is sad. But if you are a responsible hunter, you should know to use enough gun to do the job quickly and with minimal suffering to the animal. It's like if an annoying neighbor shot your dog with a .22 'cause he crapped in his yard, and your dog wandered around in agony, coughing and choking on his own blood, till he died on your doorstep 2 hours later from a poorly placed gut shot with a .22... A 22LR is Ok for squirrels or rats but it's a shit round for anything else.

-Mike

Posts: 270 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamfisted:
Sounds like you're killing the fox just to kill something, and that in itself is sad.

A 22LR is Ok for squirrels or rats but it's a shit round for anything else.
-Mike

Hamfisted,

I have to disagree on 2 points. The OP stated he killed the fox to save the chickens. For some, that may seem like an inadequate reason, but I find it entirely appropriate to do this.

Secondly, 22LR is plenty for a fox as well as other smaller animals. I have personally used it for clean and humane kills of foxes, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, groundhogs, & opossums at more than 100 yards. Inside of 50 this is about the perfect critter getter. A shot placed behind the ear is quite effective on producing DRT results. Remember, anything can kill. It is a matter shot placement, velocity, and distance.

That being said, I find that the 17 HMR is rather fun and extremely accurate and those little V-Max's are devastating. I'd love to have a CZ 452 or 455 Varmint in 17 HMR.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like you're killing the fox just to kill something, and that in itself is sad.

Seriously? Did you not read the OP?
Have you ever seen what a Fox can do in a henhouse? It has to be seen to be believed.
If raising chickens is part of your livelihood, you don't want a Fox anywhere near your property.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamfisted:
That's one thing I learned early on in my hunting life. USE ENOUGH GUN. Any responsible hunter will tell you that. Sounds like you're killing the fox just to kill something, and that in itself is sad. But if you are a responsible hunter, you should know to use enough gun to do the job quickly and with minimal suffering to the animal. It's like if an annoying neighbor shot your dog with a .22 'cause he crapped in his yard, and your dog wandered around in agony, coughing and choking on his own blood, till he died on your doorstep 2 hours later from a poorly placed gut shot with a .22... A 22LR is Ok for squirrels or rats but it's a shit round for anything else.

-Mike

Not killing just to kill. This is a farm and he has free range chickens. This is not a dog crapping is his yard.
I grew up on that farm when it was my grandmother's and remember when she used to get up because a fox or weasel was in the chicken coop.
Secondly, I have killed deer, caribou and a bear and know enough to have enough rifle for the job. I thought the 22 lr would do it. Fox aren't that big. If you would have read, I went and tracked the blood to the animal. I didn't just pack it in and go sit in the house after I shot the fox. That's what responsible hunters do.
Possibly read my original post a little more carefully.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I remember a thread a year or so ago where I think it was Zaksquach (sp?) that used a .17HMR to devastating effect on coyotes.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I remember a thread a year or so ago where I think it was Zaksquach (sp?) that used a .17HMR to devastating effect on coyotes.

I can see that. I looked at the round when I stopped at my LGS in search of a better round than 22LR.
Pulled up a ballistics chart and looked at 100 yard zero and drop. That round is sizzling fast.
I also looked at 204 Ruger which has a little more range than the 17HMR but might be a little much for closer range.
Still deciding and that's part of the fun.