SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So 22 lr rifle is not the best choice for fox **update**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So 22 lr rifle is not the best choice for fox **update** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have to deal with foxes and my chickens all the time. I actually don't know and haven't studied if the size/weight of fox varies a lot by region. The ones I have to deal with are quite small. My Town doesn't give me the option of a center fire round,I have to use a rimfire or shotgun so if you have the centerfire option and the backstop/downrange situation allows you to do so then I'm pretty sure anything centerfire will do. If I had the option of centerfire rounds I'd use .223 since I own lots of stuff to shoot it and its really cheap.
But I have to use a rimfire so my choice is .22 winmag. No issues so far with many animals. I use a HP round and really doesn't matter where they are hit. I happen to really enjoy and use the CZ rimfires so if you get one you can change calibers if you really get to the point of preferring something else.
YMMV of course.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would use the 5.56. As I age, I'm getting lazy, I use my 45/70 now.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can you even find evidence of a fox after 45/70?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
...he actually only went about 30 yards but the blood trail wound around everywhere.

Sounds to me like the .22 did just fine.

Head shots work even better if you don't want them to run.

I like hvyhawler's suggestion though. Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it did fine.

17HMR would be a great option, it also reduces the chances of a ricochet since the small bullets going so fast tend to disintegrate on impact, unlike slower, heavier 22 rounds.

CZ 455 can take all 3 barrels (17HMR, 22LR, 22Mag) and swap in about 5 minutes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

CZ 455 can take all 3 barrels (17HMR, 22LR, 22Mag) and swap in about 5 minutes.

Thank you, I'll have to look at that model.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Not all .22 is created equal. Try some CCI Velocitors.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drobinson
posted Hide Post
I used a Ruger 10/22 and American Eagle hollow point ammo to kill a fox two weeks ago. Shot was about 60 yards and hit her just above her left eye. Dropped where she stood and flopped for about 10 seconds. I was made impressed with the "little .22". That said I am looking at 22 mag and 17 hmr rifles just because.

Posts: 563 | Location: SC | Registered: April 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stopped at my LGS and priced a 22 magnum and 17 HMR but didn't buy either.
They showed me a 22 LR round that seemed interesting so I bought 2 boxes.
The round is from Winchester and is called "Varmint HE". It's a segmented round, 37 grain and says 1435 fps.
This morning I spotted a fox and decided I'd give it a try. It dropped him in 1 shot at about 50 yards.
I again held right behind his front shoulder and the round did its job. He did flop around for about 5 seconds but he was done.
So maybe a 22 LR isn't so bad for fox upon further use with a different round.
Still kinda want a new rifle but now I don't know if I can justify it, not that I really need any justification. Smile

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at Aguila .22 ammunition? They have a hypervelocity round with a 1700fps claimed muzzle velocity in a 30gr bullet. I've not chronographed it, but it was quite accurate out of my 10/22 at 25 yards.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arflattop:
Have you looked at Aguila .22 ammunition? They have a hypervelocity round with a 1700fps claimed muzzle velocity in a 30gr bullet. I've not chronographed it, but it was quite accurate out of my 10/22 at 25 yards.

I have not but thank you, I'll ask them if they stock it.

God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Stopped at my LGS and priced a 22 magnum and 17 HMR but didn't buy either.
They showed me a 22 LR round that seemed interesting so I bought 2 boxes.
The round is from Winchester and is called "Varmint HE". It's a segmented round, 37 grain and says 1435 fps.
This morning I spotted a fox and decided I'd give it a try. It dropped him in 1 shot at about 50 yards.
I again held right behind his front shoulder and the round did its job. He did flop around for about 5 seconds but he was done.
So maybe a 22 LR isn't so bad for fox upon further use with a different round.
Still kinda want a new rifle but now I don't know if I can justify it, not that I really need any justification. Smile

Interesting round!

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like to tinker, these tools always looked interesting.
Paco Kelly 22LR tools

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
.17 WSM. Zoom zoom.

yep this^^^

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post