SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Interesting" AWB era magazines.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Interesting" AWB era magazines. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I thought you all might find these magazines interesting as they are all bought in 1994 right about the time the AWB kicked in. First up is a dual purpose Ramline magazine. Supposedly, it works with both the AR-15 and the Mini-14. I bought several about the time it became clear the AWB was going to pass (it was also one of the few magazines I could find. Unfortunately, I just put them in storage so I can't tell you if they work or not.

(As an FYI, click on each picture to enlarge them).

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Next is a Thermold 40 or 42 round magazine. The idea behind this magazine is that you would load 30 rounds in it and then put it in your bugout bag, etc. If you needed to use it in an emergency, you could immediately collapse it down from the 42 to the 30 round size giving you a strong reliable spring. It also was supposed to prevent wear on the feed lips. Like the Ramline, it went into storage so I can't tell you if it works or not.

Finally, back in the day, Ruger only sold 10 round magazines for the 10/22. Butler Creek was considered the Cadilac of "high capacity" magazines as they were reliable and durable. I thought the $8.99 price was interesting considering the price of 10/22 magazines today.

I have a few other "pre-ban" magazines: standard 30 round Thermolds, Orlite and some steel USA magazines for the AR and some KKK magazines for the Mini-14. However, I thought the above were the most interesting.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The '94 AWB made for interesting times.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I bought two of the Ramline magazines back then. They have worked well in both AR's and my Mini-14!

I still have two of the collapsible Thermolds loaded up and 'ready to go'. From back then. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I bought two of the Ramline magazines back then. They have worked well in both AR's and my Mini-14!

I still have two of the collapsible Thermolds loaded up and 'ready to go'. From back then. Big Grin

They certainly don't have the quality feel of current polymer magazines like P-Mags, Lancer, etc.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
During the AWB all my mags came from Uncle Sam's magazine and other sundries emporium.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thermolds, Orlite and some steel USA magazines

Of these, the Thermolds would be the only ones I'd use for more than range/plinking duty. I've had Orlites that cracked feed lips relatively quickly, even with the wire mesh stiffener. I probably don't even need to mention the USA Steelies Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I curse Bill Clinton to this day!

I recall the madness of trying to find hi-cap mags during the dark ages.

I remember seeing the 10-22 25 rd "hot lip" mags listed for $100 at gun shows. Never saw any sell though.

I always thought the tear drop 50 rd 10-22 mags were very cool. I don't know that anyone has picked up that design, hopefully I am wrong but I have not seen any new units for sale.

FU Clinton and your hag wife!

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Thermolds, Orlite and some steel USA magazines

...I probably don't even need to mention the USA Steelies Big Grin

I'm not sure who make a worse magazine USA or Promag.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I bought my 1st pistol during the AWB.
I paid $75 for a used 15 round factory 226 magazine. Eek that was big scratch for this college kid.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post