SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need a pellet rifle for small game/rodent control...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a pellet rifle for small game/rodent control... Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
The better airguns that use scuba tanks are upwards of $2000 when you get done with all the gear to make them work. That was before adding the thermals and you only got 40 rounds before you had to recharge the tank.

This is simply not true. I have a .22 cal Hatsan Flash Pup that I got from Pyramid Air that cost me $449 with hand pump, 2 12 round mags, and a bipod.

I was always struggling with accuracy due to the two stage recoil inherent to spring piston guns and decided on the PCP airgun. All joking aside, it may be the most accurate rifle I own at 50 yards. It makes one .5" hole at that range. I like the fact that it is bolt action, and as long as I don't let it get below 75 bar it isn't too much of a pain to pump it back up. I get about 60 shots from 200 to 100 bar. Last year alone I killed over 30 squirrels and 40 chipmunks with it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All...

Just a quick update. Got an "in stock" alert at Pyramyd Air that they had the Beeman R9 in .22 in stock.

As luck would have it, my insurance company just gave me $600 for taking an annual physical (which I always do) and watching some "healthy living" videos on their website. I actually got the money today.

Then I had the great pleasure to speak with cslinger by phone so that I could ask him a few questions and for him to provide his final recommendations on my purchase plans.

So, as of this evening, I have a Beeman R9 in .22 caliber, a 1 piece scope mount, the Pyramyd Air 10 for $10 service, and 4 tins of pellets on the way. Fortunately, Pyramyd Air is located about 100 miles from me, so I should get it relatively quick.

From Amazon I have a Hawke Vantage 3X9, 40 scope that will be here by Tuesday.

And tomorrow, I will be going to get the supplies I need from Lowe's, Home Depot and maybe one of the electrical supply houses (on Monday) to pick up the components for a "silent" bullet/pellet trap that cslinger turned me on to.

I will post back with pictures. Probably will not show any targets as I will need to learn how to shoot this type of gun, but I am hopeful it will come along quickly enough due to the excellent advise given by cslinger.

cslinger... thank you so much for the time, patience and willingness to provide all of the information you have given so far. If only we were a little closer to one another geographically, I can see us becoming fast friends. Thank you...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Order more pellets!

Please share details on DIY silent pellet trap build.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Very happy to help and very nice speaking with you. I sincerely hope it all works out for you.

As for the silent pellet trap, I made my first about 20 years ago and it is still in use. I have since made a couple larger ones to keep in other locations but here is the gist. You can go pretty with a nice wood box build but I just went practical.

I use a cheap steel fuse/junction box from Lowes Depot etc.
-Gut the inside of it of all the electrical components.
-Drill four holes on the bottom to mount some rubber feet (Optional)
-Drill holes on top to mount a carrying handle (Optional).
-Drill or use holes to mount binder clip or clips .
-Pack the inside with duct seal, also known as monkey shit. It is typically sold in the plumbing department. in bricks that look vaguely like C4 blocks. You will need quite a few to pack it but it will NEVER dry out or bad. Well at least mine hasn't. Between the duct seal and steel back there isn't any pellet going through it.

Here is a picture of one of mine that should give you an idea of what I am talking about. Just clean yours more often then I clean mine. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Another option to the "monkey shit" is rubber landscape mulch which is what I use in my DIY pellet trap. I also use a heavy duty cardboard box with double layered sides and back. Works like a champ. Smile
I'm able to shoot 10m indoors downstairs safely with even my high powered .22 springer. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Another option to the "monkey shit" is rubber landscape mulch which is what I use in my DIY pellet trap. I also use a heavy duty cardboard box with double layered sides and back. Works like a champ.

Similar thing for me. Per a recommendation on the web, I also put an old towel on the inside of the back of the box. Haven't had anything escape to date, although I do have a piece of particle board behind the box trap -- for errant shots.

I re-tape the front of the box here and there with duct tape or packaging tape, when the pellet holes grow in size. I will eventually throw away the whole box, then start over with a new one.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Rubber mulch works really well but I find it requires more "maintenance" if you will. They are lighter though. Old carpet works pretty well, old towels and clothing do a pretty good job etc. That said the putty traps do require cleaning every once in a blue moon and I like to keep a shoe box or similar in front of them to catch all the paper/target/putty/pellet crap that falls out with use.

I tend to end up shooting in the same four or five "areas" and the putty traps tend to stand up to that more so then the others. Now a lead mass will eventually form and that can cause some mild ricochet's/spall from time to time but its easy to clean it out and re-mold the putty.

Everybody's mileage will vary. JUST MAKE SURE YOU USE A BACKSTOP. Don't want anybody or anything getting hurt that shouldn't.

Chris

Chris

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going with a 12" X 12" X 6" deep NEMA 1 Junction Box that does not have any knockouts (little cleaner look I think). I will be putting 10 pounds of duct seal in it (at least that is what I ordered). Going to start with simple binder clips as hangers, but may take an old wood clip board and cut that up and mount it as a more permanent hanger.

This trap will not have any additional metal or wood added to strengthen the back unless I have issues. My backstop will be a 2' X 2' piece of 3/4" plywood.

Getting the junction box, putty and plywood from Home Depot. I will be adding a "garage door" handle and some rubber feet as well.

I also have a magnetic snake light that I will be using sorta like an art lamp to illuminate the target close in so that the cheaper scope will have all the light it needs to give me the best view possible of the target.

Going to start with simple copy paper with 1" orange target stickers as targets. I have 1,000's of these and do not see the benefit in purchasing "real" air rifle targets.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So I changed scope mounts on my HW95 .22 today and subsequently shot some groups.

Some folks will tell you the .22 HW95s don't shoot well. Now to be fair the HW95 is a fairly powerful spring gun that is also fairly light weight, with stock designed more around carrying/hunting. The .22 HWs also tend to have generous chambers IMO as well.

That said once you get a feel and feed them what they like I find they shoot pretty well. Here are a couple groups from today from around 20 yards. (I have 60 feet wall to wall but my back to my target is probably around 58-59 feet). One group was shot with Air Arms Diabolo Fields the other H&N FTT 5.53s and both are under a dime in size so I am pretty happy with that.

Just remember you need to learn your spring gun and like most guns figure out what it best likes to eat for best results.

As always take care, shoot safe.
Chris

posted Hide Post
cslinger...

I will basically have the same setup tomorrow. I was also able to snag 2000 CPHP's from China-Mart. This is in addition to the assortment of pellets that will arrive tomorrow with my order. I have them in 5.5, 5.51, 5.52 and 5.53. Will get 5.54 and 5.55 after I test these.

All of the components of my silent bullet trap arrived today, so I will be working on that this evening. I think 10 lbs of duct seal is going to give me at least 1.5"+ across the entirety of the trap. It may have been too much, but that and the 14 gauge junction box are going to catch everything with no worries.

Can't wait to start slinging Smile lead tomorrow.

The "Boz"

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For what it’s worth I tried some of the Crosman Piranhas, which is usually not my bag as I am not into the gimmicky pellets. At any rate Wally World had some cheap so I gave them a try and they shoot pretty well all in all.

Enjoy the new toy tomorrow and remember the cardinal rule.

“Don’t shoot your eye out kid!” Razz

Chris

posted Hide Post
Well... She has arrived.

Crap picture, but here she is:

First shot out of the box, 5 yards, open sights, 1" target sticker:

This and all shots today were with Crossman Premium Hollow Points. Will start testing in the next few days (after I learn to shoot this), what it really likes to dine on.

Again, cslinger, dude, thank you so much. I have already found myself looking at other offerings online in various calibers. This may quickly become an addiction just like my firearms Smile

The "Boz"

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I dig the stock. Congrats welcome to the addiction. Pretty sure my wife is ready to beg me to pick up hookers and heroin as a cheaper alternative hobby. Smile

Doesn’t feel or look like the pellet guns from the large mart or from your youth does it? Smile

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'm been fence riding for a while...keep wanting to do something large caliber, capable of taking medium to large sized game (Alaskan deer, maybe even a moose or caribou in a close shot). I've been thinking end of the world survival. Well, there's some cool guns that can do that...but they're just not in my pricepoint with the whole pump thing.

After reading this thread, I ordered a Benjamin Trail NP XL this afternoon. Figure I may as well pick up something I can pop rabbits nuisance varments with.

I appreciate the info, and I'll have to update with pictures when the rifle shows up next week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cslinger...

Never had a pellet or BB gun as a kid. I grew up a military brat with a father that had a lot of favors owed to him, so I grew up getting range time on M-16's, M-9's, M-60's, etc. Never did get to shoot the 50 though.

AK...

Very cool. What caliber did you get? I may pick up a large caliber pellet rifle (bigger than .22), but I have a lot of learning to do first.

The "Boz"

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post

Big bore air guns intrigue me. I've never owned an air rifle worth over $100, so I'm hoping this Benjamin will be a good entry to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
While the big bore airguns like the AirForce Texan intrigue me and I find the technology/mechanics super cool, I simply have no use for them.

I shoot all my guns for pleasure. That said that goes doubly so for the airguns. If I need real power I have firearms for that. If it’s the end of the world hopefully I am part of a like minded, wide skilled community other than that it’s all about the toilet paper and bourbon baby. Smile

posted Hide Post
boz - what made you decide on the R9 vs the HW95?

I'm about to order but am having difficulty deciding between the two.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Same gun. The R9 probably will have a nicer stock and gold trigger.

Beyond that no mechanical difference. I do think Boz’s stock is quite nice and nicer then my 95.

posted Hide Post
Thanks cslinger - Beeman R9 w/scope combo. is now on order. Should have it late next week. It will be my first "real" bb/pellet gun. Really looking forward to it!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post