SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger 10/22 - another question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 10/22 - another question Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted

What are folks using for a scope on a 10/22? I am not sure I want to go this route (vs just irons), but would like to look over the options. My interest would be for a good balance of quality and affordability. This is not an F class rifle, after all. I have the takedown model. It cost around $350, so I am looking at spending less than that, hopefully much less. But I don't know if that is realistic. This would be for daytime use only, plinking and small varmint disposal.

Second related question. Do you use the included rail piece that comes with the gun? And what rings, if they don't come with the scope?

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
For not a lot of money, I like Nikon's offerings. They make some very nice, not too expensive scopes. I have a 10/22 that I bought from a friend with an old Tasco on it. When I can see the cross hair, I can hit exactly what I am aiming at.

Unfortunately, with the Tasco, that is something of a debatable proposition. The cheaper scope is very picky about where my eye is, and the very fine cross hair tends to get lost when shooting out doors, or at a black target.

The relatively inexpensive Nikon that another friend has on his 10/22 is very comfortable to use. Unfortunately, I don't know offhand which model it is.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Nikon 4x32 rimfire scope with Leupold rifleman rings. I use the supplied rail with the rings.

I think my particular scope might be out of production but Nikon's rimfire offerings are usually under $200 for good quality stuff. The rings are another $20 so you will easily be within your budget.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a BSA Sweet 22 on mine, but the reticle started rotating counter-clockwise while I was shooting. I replaced it with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 . I'm using the factory supplied scope bases. I don't recall what brand of scope rings I used, but they were very inexpensive. I shoot paper targets out to 100 yards with this rifle.

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Good replies so far. Please keep them coming. Smile

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what is an acceptable level of accuracy for you. I have two TDs, one has a stock barrel and uses a Nodak NDS-26 rear sight with an integrated rail on the receiver but the other has a VQ cantilever barrel. The VQ barrel has had great results with a Simmons 3-9x32, Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32, and a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP. The same scopes on the receiver attached rail is a little less accurate.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by livingintx:
I had a BSA Sweet 22 on mine, but the reticle started rotating counter-clockwise while I was shooting. I replaced it with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 . I'm using the factory supplied scope bases. I don't recall what brand of scope rings I used, but they were very inexpensive. I shoot paper targets out to 100 yards with this rifle.

I went a very similar route with my 10/22. I purchased it and the BSA Sweet 22 at the same time after doing a fair amount of research on budget scopes. It's $79 if search around. I paired it with a scope base off of Amazon and some Weaver style and branded rings. Worked like a champ. I replaced it with a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-12x42 and it was night and day difference, but it's also 4-5X the cost. I recently dug the scope back out and remounted it because I needed something that could focus down to 50 ft. and she still shoots fine.

There was/is mixed feelings on the Ruger supplied scope base. I don't recall the reasoning, but new ones are $10-15. Another option for rings and the brand many 10/22 people run are the Burris Zee or Signature Zee. I have both on different rimfires and each works great, but in your case the small extra cost for the Signature wouldn't be warranted.

I'd say start with the BSA and see if it does what you need. If you are looking to spend more $$ there is a whole host of scopes in the 3-9/12 range that will work for you.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Nikon 3-9x40 Rimfire or the less expensive Rimfire II (1/2" moa adjustments)

Leupold 2-7x33. Small, light weight and excellent optics. A bit spendy at around $195 street price.

If you want more magnification and parallax adjustment, look at Mueller APV AO 4.5-14 x 40mm.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I have a leopold delta point Im going to use when I get a 10/22.

Posts: 5132 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
Depends on what is an acceptable level of accuracy for you.

This guy, at 25-40 yards:

posted Hide Post
99% of the time I stuff a Leupold rimfire on my 10/22's.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henry:...This guy, at 25-40 yards...

Tell me your secret of getting that close to them. I usually see them at 50+ high-tailing it away from me as fast as they can go.

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've got a PA 4-16x44 on a Tacsol X-Ring (10/22)

It's stupid fun. Had it out this weekend and let some guys shoot it. They were shooting 45ACP casings off a board @ 35 yards. Shoot a clay on the back stop. Then turn every little piece into orange dust. It's been mounted for probably 2 years and held zero.

http://www.primaryarms.com/pri...mid-july-2016-pa416x

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have been stick on Burris for a few years now.
What I have on my 10-22 is a Burris 2-7 full view and the same on my Benjamin Marauder pcp.
Several A/R also sport them.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you choose, consider the combination of target distance, scope magnification, and parallax.

Rimfire scopes often have parallax fixed at a given distance -- say 50 or 75 yards. With a fixed parallax scope, if your target isn't at the specified distance, parallax aiming errors can easily occur. Scopes with a parallax adjustment knob solve this problem, but a parallax turret (or objective) generally makes the scope more expensive.

Increased magnification makes it easier to identify targets at longer distances. Note that higher magnification seems to make parallax errors more significant. Old school thinking was that scopes at 10x power or less don't need adjustable parallax. Given my experience over the past few years with 2-7x and 3-8x scopes on rimfire rifles, I would not buy another scope of 7x or greater without adjustable parallax.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBobAries:
quote:
Originally posted by henry:...This guy, at 25-40 yards...

Tell me your secret of getting that close to them. I usually see them at 50+ high-tailing it away from me as fast as they can go.

Typically, that's the view I have, too. For that shot, I sat quietly near the hole for about 15 minutes. I knew he was in there, so just waited him out. For shooting, I can open my little garage door (the 3'-0" x 6'-8" door), and there are usually one or two within 30 yards just sitting like the one in the picture. They may react some to the door opening, by crouching a bit, but usually remain in the open. Kind of like a rabbit does, "if I remain very still you cannot see me".

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You'll be ahead if you just buy a Leupold or Burris now, instead of spending $40-50 bucks on a BSA you're probably going to end up replacing anyway. IMHO.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I was just reading about Tech Sights in sigfreund's thread. They look very intriguing, for the type of shooting I will be doing. What says anyone about them? They are certainly not a scope, but they also appear to offer good accuracy at the ranges and purposes I am looking at.

posted Hide Post
Leupold 2-7.

I have 2 of them, they are great scopes for 22s.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Leupold 2-7.

I have 2 of them, they are great scopes for 22s.

^^^^this

VX-1 2-7x28 w/ Leupold QRW rings

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post