SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do I trust a gifted Eotech?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I trust a gifted Eotech? Login/Join 
That is my spot.
posted
A relatively new friend of mine who is not really a gun guy recently got rid of his last AR.

He has some really neat stuff and seems to have well thought out positions for why and what he carries as a State LEO and what he owns and uses at home- and even has some stuff just for fun. He says that he is not a great shot but I know that he has survived a handful of LE incidents (4 to be exact with 2 dead bad guys and 2 bullet wounds.) I mention that because I have never been in a gunfight and like to listen to someone who has- at least listen.

He has a co-worker in a more challenging environment and gave him his Colt M4-gery. But he had a 552 at home that wasn't working and offered it to me. I have only known him for a few months and told him that my standard protocol with friends when we trade/ swap/ purchase is to always offer first rights to the guy if I want to trade/ sell what I got from them. He said that sounded good and he hoped I enjoyed the sight.

I pulled apart the sight and realized it was just missing a spacer- used some alum. foil to test and sure enough, it lights up fine. Called Eotech CS and they are sending me the battery contact rebuild kits, etc. free of charge.

I know of the recall/ refund situation. I do live in Florida so no real worry about cold weather and a lot of the stuff on their list of issues. I do not have the funds for any other sight and I am only half decent with irons- an issue I know I need to correct. (Even this buddy said that for close work, he prefers irons and likes them better inside 100 or so yards anyway.)

So my point? If I get this thing up and running perfectly well, and can shoot well with the thing on, do I keep it on my 16" BCM or just keep irons on it? I know the issue with any battery powered item and am willing to check batts, etc. Given that I am probably going to grab my 226 if things go bump in the night (in fact, I have without hesitation grabbed my nearest handgun and my SF light to check out multiple out of place noises over the years,) do I gain anything by putting the 552 on the AR?

As you can see, I am all over the place right now. I have seen many times, folks ask not very well thought out questions and be led to the water to drink from the well of forum wisdom. I am thirsty, friends. Smile

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are not fighting in severe weather, keep it and enjoy.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Keep it AND have back up sights, problem solved.

Edit: Wish my friends gave me anything other than a hard time!!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
I do live in Florida so no real worry about cold weather and a lot of the stuff on their list of issues.

No but you do have to worry about hot weather. You can never leave that gun out in the car, because in car temperatures can easily get to the 122 degrees (though that might not be the exact number).

quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Keep it AND have back up sights, problem solved.

No, no it isn't. You won't notice the POA shift until you shoot the gun. And only if you are aware enough to analyze why you are missing.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Throw it on a range/fun gun only and call it a day.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your responses. Okay. I don't have any range toys that I could use this thing on. I do think that I have refined my question from your responses.

Assuming I agree that my environment may mean I am impacted by thermal drift or moisture incursion, will that be more of a negative impact in a serious situation than my crappy ability to shoot with iron sights? I mean is this like me wondering about a 3 minute of angle rifle versus a one minute of angle rifle when I can't hold 10 minutes of angle? If I zero the thing at 70-something degrees Fahrenheit and the temperature gets to a hundred and twenty two or more they think I will lose five minutes of angle one way or another. Correct? That sub- tends to 5 inches at a hundred yards or so. Well considering this, do I add that on to however badly I may theoretically shoot already?

I guess I'm just trying to decide if it is really worse than iron sights for me at this time. I imagine the right answer is going to involve more lead down range either way.

Thank you again for your thoughtful consideration.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
If the recall is still active you might. Want a refund and get an Aimpoint.

I liked my EOTECH, rugged reliability was part of its selling points.

So, why train/plink with a sight you wouldn't trust your life to?

If you just are bumming around with it... a cheap Chinese knock-off would suit as well.

Having used guns in extreme temperatures, I filed for a refund.

I do shake my head though... good sight, quick as hell in CQB.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A similar question was asked in a different post recently and the answer was that the refund program is still active. My advice like the above is just send it back get the refund and buy an aimpoint.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
The recall/ refund really isn't an option. It really is not mine to send away. Maybe I can get there with the guy but for now it would feel a little like gift-horse mouth staring. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
If it were mine, I would offer it back to the friend I received it from. Let the friend apply for a refund if they desire. If they tell you to keep it, then you apply for a refund and purchase an Aimpoint Pro.

If it's not reliable, why have it? In the back of your mind you will always wonder.......when.....what if.....??

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. My sentiments match everyone elses. I think I wanted everyone else to talk me out of giving it back. I will fix it, tell him about the recall and work on my irons.

I do have another buddy who wants something but hasn't ever fired with a dot. We may play with it before I give it back. Just a free "proof of concept" for us.

Happy Saturday!

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I would not trust an Eotech.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 Eotech's and both were fine. Never had a problem.
I routinely check the batteries and replace e if necessary.
I don't run the rifle hard. If you do, you might have a different experience. I don't know.
It's on my Colt 6920 for home protection along with whatever pistol I'm carrying.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The transverse battery EoTech sights are ok. The inline battery ones need repaired sometimes, as you have found out.

I'd talk the guy into selling it back to EoTech, and replacing it with an MRO or Aimpoint Pro.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't trust it. I trust the late Pat Rogers who called the EoTurds.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post