SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    First AR (Options) Recommendations?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First AR (Options) Recommendations? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Virginia is about to make buying and selling an AR illegal, so I figure it's time to give the General Assembly the middle finger and buy one before their grabby fingers come after it.

I've been doing a lot of research on getting my first AR, and talking with my son-in-law (who builds his own), I'm getting closer to finding one that suits both my needs and budget.

I looked at the S&W M&P Sport 15, but a lot of people have suggested Rock River. RRA has a bunch of build-your-own options, which intrigues me, but I'm not quite sure on all the components that make a difference. The AR-15 is probably the most popular firearm in America these days, and the people of SIGForum are not shy with their opinions. So, I'm waiting to read yours...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fpuhan,

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
many to choose from

Smith and Wesson would be fine

I would also recommend Windham Weaponry

https://www.windhamweaponry.co...3-556-caliber-rifle/

Armalite is having a sale:

https://www.armalite.com/produ...b1ccbb4121-441346365

also check out Palmetto State Armory

you should have bought several by now Big Grin

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'd think a S&W M&P Sport II would be readily available. LGS near my house had them on sale with a Vortex RDS for $675.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
many to choose from

Smith and Wesson would be fine

I would also recommend Windham Weaponry

https://www.windhamweaponry.co...3-556-caliber-rifle/

Armalite is having a sale:

https://www.armalite.com/produ...b1ccbb4121-441346365

also check out Palmetto State Armory

you should have bought several by now Big Grin

--------------------------------------

Maybe, but I've been a handgun guy all this time.

PSA was the first place I saw a long gun that triggered my GAS, the AKV-9 (OK, technically it's a pistol, but I like the looks).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are lot of great options on the market right now. I am looking to buy one before VA passes the ignorant laws.

I have been looking at the S&W M&P Sport II, plus the Ruger AR556.

I would love to get an FN like the one the Army issued me but the prices are a little steep for me right now.

I do like the Eagle-15 16″ Mission First Tactical Edition – 15EAMFT.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs issues Rock River Arms the LAR 15 and the agency I was with before I went to work for the Government bought RRA LAR 15.

I would like to get an M4 variant but also a M16A2/M16A4 equivalent like I had back in the old days (1992ish) and this time around in basic (2010)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
As your first, and maybe only, I’d suggest the venerable 6920

First, this is the “basic” AR in anyone’s stable. Secondly, like me, shooting an AR, apparently, hasn’t been your standard shooting instrument, so you don’t want to spend a ton of money initially. And when Va. stops being a leftist state and you’ve decided you no longer want to give them teh finger it will be easier to sell. Or, you can continue to keep it and stil have one of the best basic AR’s available.

Just my opine.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Considering you haven't bought one until now, it's likely going to spend most of it's time in a closet or safe.

So I'd suggest S&W MP Sport or PSA.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
get an assortment,colt,R R psa.Get purpose ones,rifles carbines and pistols ones.
My itch started about forty years back,I up armed my kids and grandkids and still have a few in the safe and as house guns for handy use.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Armalite's having a flash sale.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I’ve never owned a Colt, but there are many here that recommend them and I trust their expertise. I however have the SW Sport, first and second generation. They are a great purchase for the money. I also have several from Palmetto and never had a problem with them either.

It is a great time to be in the market for America’s rifle.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given that this may be the ONLY AR 15 you can buy and own, I'd buy a Colt 6920 and not consider anything else.....The Colt will also have the highest resale, especially if they do what they say they're going to do and it's grandfathered in, in VA.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
If I were starting from scratch and looking to jump into the AR game, I would go with a Ruger AR 556:

https://www.ruger.com/products...specSheets/8515.html

Ruger's excellent customer service, easily removable forend, ( just unscrew the delta ring ) front and rear sights and a cold hammer forged barrel make for one solid AR for anyone.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
S&W
Ruger
PSA
Del Ton

All will do what you need to do, cheap, reliable.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Virginia is about to make buying and selling an AR illegal...

Which likely means that resale value of an AR means nothing. You're buying an AR for you, for your needs and wants, and for nobody else. If you have experience with other rifles, you should be able to narrow the scope of your AR purchase. If you don't have previous rifle experience, consider buying an AR that's easily adaptable to future use.

Some basics, without considering brands or models:
- Assuming you're looking for a 16" barrel AR15 in 223/5.56, look for a mid-length gas system. Carbine-length gas systems need to go the way of the dodo.
- Look for a free-floated barrel. Rifles that don't have free floated barrels need to go away.
- With your free-floated barrel, look for a modern rail system. Quad rails need to go away. Mlok systems work.
- Go with a barrel that has a 1:8 or 1:7 twist rate. Don't even consider a 1:9 twist barrel.
- Consider if you want to use iron sights, a red dot, or some form of a low powered variable zoom optic. Consider the cost of the optic in your budget.
- Budget for a reasonable supply of good mags. They can be aluminum or polymer. It's OK to try a few different types or brands, but keep the majority of your mags in one brand/type.
- Budget for the possibility of upgrading a stock trigger.

Barrels can be made of chromoly or stainless steel. I prefer stainless, but both types work. If feel you must have a chrome-lined barrel, so be it -- I wouldn't own one. If you're really concerned about barrel life, consider a nitride/melonite treated barrel. Chrome-lined barrels last longer than untreated steel barrels, but they're not as accurate.

Consider the above before buying any brand.
IMO, Colt makes good ARs, but at a price point that doesn't justify its components. A common recommendation is a Colt 6930 -- which has a carbine-length gas system, non-free-floated barrel, chrome lined barrel, and no rail system.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
This may be your only chance to purchase an AR legally in Virginia. I would recommend something mid length gas in 16" Bbl, free floated. High QC because parts may also be an issue.

BCM is a nice place to look.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger purchased two years ago that has been satisfactory, i.e., it has fed, fired and shucked everything. The delta ring (which you seldom have to remove anyway) is threaded and pretty much needs a strap wrench to take it off.

Posts: 27837 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
CT did the same thing several years ago, banned AR's .
There was a huge run on AR's prior to the law going into effect. The safest "bet" would be to buy AR lowers--register the lower with the ability to have an AR in the future.
Buy a quality lower(s)--securing the option for a future build(s).

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Plenty of good options above. Just buy one.
Then buy a few stripped lowers. They can be had for $40 now. No reason to not put some away for a rainy day that, in your state's case, is definitely coming.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
CT did the same thing several years ago, banned AR's .
There was a huge run on AR's prior to the law going into effect. The safest "bet" would be to buy AR lowers--register the lower with the ability to have an AR in the future.
Buy a quality lower(s)--securing the option for a future build(s).

This is likely a wise suggestion.

The only full factory built AR I have is a RRA and it has been running like a top for well over a decade now.

If I was in your shoes I’d be buying 3 S&W M&P Sports and likely 5–10 striped lowers.

My LGS has the S&Ws currently for $539 with a CT red dot and $549 with a fixed front sight post and a rear Magpul BUIS.
You’ll be hard pressed to be S&Ws at their current prices.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post