SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Blast shields aka noise directors, specically for suppressor mounts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blast shields aka noise directors, specically for suppressor mounts Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Since I only have one suppressor but multiple rifles with AAC mounts I have been looking at the AAC blast shield to mount on the other rifles. At $150 though I have been sliw to grab one, then I found the below version made by Simplified shooting solutions, it looks good at $75 albeit not as nice as it uses a set screw to hold it in place.

http://soldiersystems.net/2013...ield-for-aac-mounts/

Anyone with experience with either the AAC or the SSS products?

I have used a krink can on another 10.5" pistol I made and it worked as designed, just curious about these 2 solutions

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the SSS one for four? Years now. No issues. I don’t tighten down the set screw like you’re supposed to.

I make it just tight enough that if I need to take it off I can unscrew it by hand.

My use is probably different than yours. Mine sits in the car all day and rarely gets used. It’s on there in case I need to grab the rifle and go. I’ve never shot more than a mag through it and it stays on. So I’m okay with it.

If I have time I can unscrew it by hand and install the suppressor. For the guys that I share the car with, they don’t have the option of a suppressor for the blast shield works for them.

The plan was to get surplus M4-2000 suppressors for everyone but none have come up lately. I’m using my personal suppressor.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have been tempted to get one to use on my 11.5 for the rare times I don't want to use the suppressor.

The cost has kept me away. I might look into that SSS option.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch AAC's website for sales on holidays. They typically put the Blastout on sale along with most of their accessories and offer a % off on top of the sale.

I paid $75 for a 51t Blastout direct from AAC.

https://www.advanced-armament.com/BlastOut_p_709.html

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I remember buying it for $45 back in the day. I wouldn't have paid $75.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I remember buying it for $45 back in the day. I wouldn't have paid $75.

Is the quality not up to par? It is still half the AAC version.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Quality is just fine. It does what it's supposed to do. I only bought it because I share the car with two other officers and they were complaining when they shot it. I have a suppressor and they don't. If I didn't buy it then they would've demanded a longer barrel. It's 10.5", our other rifles are 14.5 and 16.

It's moot now since I'm testing an 8.5" 300blk always suppressed patrol rifle at the moment.
I put the 10.5" 5.56 back in the armory and they can use one of the 14.5 or 16 5.56 rifles.

Not minority enough!