SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's Your Favorite Multi-Prong Flash Hider These Days?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Your Favorite Multi-Prong Flash Hider These Days? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
Was just sitting down and considering picking up two of Smith Enterprise's Vortex flash killers. Having too much time on my hands (at the moment), I went swanning around checking out items like the Wilson Combat three-prong model, and the oh-so-long (as in, eat your heart out Krebs!) B.E. Myers 249S, and it vaguely occurred to me that there may be more, and perhaps better, options out there.

So. What do we like for three- or four-pronged flash disruption muzzle devices? I'm looking to accommodate ARs in 7.62 and a 6.8, but wouldn't mind hearing what you think about other models for other calibers as well.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the Advanced Armament “nonmount” three-prong flash hiders. As I recall I chose them because reviews rated them highly (best?) for the sole purpose of hiding the muzzle flash. They are relatively long, but that makes no difference to me, and may be the reason they are so effective.

https://www.advanced-armament....der-556mm_p_449.html

The company offers a similar design for 7.62, but I have no experience with it.

https://www.advanced-armament....der-762mm_p_450.html

Although I have no experience either with the Smith Enterprises vortex model, I did try a similar design by Thunder Beast. What I found was that the “vortex” design makes it impossible to index the flash hider to minimize muzzle blast on the ground when shooting from the prone; i.e., the gas escaping through the slots of the device kicked up a cloud of dust and fine gravel every time I shot. The helical twist of the TBAC is much more pronounced than the Smith’s, and perhaps the Smith wouldn’t have the same problem, but it may be something to consider.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Dead Air Flash hider works great. Shooting my Sandman K at night there is a nice little fireball, take off the can and shoot the flash hider only and flash is gone, this is with a 10" barrel too.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3639 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I also have a few of the AAC flashhiders, some are also can mounts. I have been very happy with them. I would also like to try one of the Surefire Warcomps. Supposedly this is the best combination of a flash hider, and a compensator.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2494 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have an AAC silencer mount 3 prong threaded for 5/8-24 that I bought mistakenly, thinking it was a 1/2-28.

I use them on several other rifle bids and they work well. I would make you a deal since it is the wrong thread pitch for my rifle.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7.62 I run the surefire. 5.56 I run the AAC. Both seem fine and well made. If you go AAC invest in their tool. Since I'm not testing flash very often I can't say anything about the actual reduction, but I've seen comparisons around on the net.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I can see I'm definitely going to have to take a closer look at AAC.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first prong-type FH I had was from Wilson, as they came with new rifle. The Wilson FH worked fine, and suppressed flash better than the traditional bird cage designs.

But I have no use for flash hiders -- when they are used by themselves, as the sole muzzle device. I cannot imagine a situation where a FH works better than a can.

All my ARs are suppressed now. I use Surefire's QD attachments for their SOCOM suppressors. I have a mix of 3-prong open tine, 3-prong closed tine, warcomp, and brake attachments. They all work just fine with the SOCOM cans. I have multiple models because I purchased what was on sale at the time.

The one difference I notice is the harmonics of open-tine multi-prong flash hiders -- the ring is noticeable within the suppressor. I have to listen for it, but it's there.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post