SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer Login/Join 
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted
Help me clear up some confusion I have regarding this shotgun. My father recently gave me one and it's probably 50 years old.

It's called "Deerslayer" and it has rifle sights. However, the barrel is a fixed, full choke. I'm no expert on shotguns but doesn't a full choke preclude the use of slugs or buckshot of appropriate size for deer? When I think of a smoothbore shotgun for deer, I think improved cylinder.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Fixed full chokes work fine with buckshot. In some shotguns, a fixed modified choke will pattern buckshot better than full. But the shot size (#4, #1, O, 00, 000) affects patterning too.

The older Foster-style slugs work fine with full choke. Not sure about any of the newer designs.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the choke marking but I remember those barrels were supposedly a tighter bore than usual for gauge.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, guys.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Most of the Foster style (rifle slug, no sabot) are labeled safe for any choke. I would suspect that a constant diet of slugs through tight chokes will tend to open them up. I think the best as far as accuracy goes is IC or Cylinder. I can get 1-1/2" 50 yard groups out of my 18.5 " IC slug barrel. I consider that acceptable for deer out to about 75 yards which is fine for hunting in heavily wooded areas. It probably wouldn't cost too much to open that tight choke a bit if it's a concern to you.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
According to Thomas Swearengen in The World's Fighting Shotguns, Ithaca spent 6 years developing the Deerslayer barrel. The Deerslayer was introduced in 1959 with a 26" barrel, and Ithaca began offering the DS with a 20" barrel in 1963.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family has shot quite a few deer over many decades with a Model 37. I don't think there was ever any accuracy issues. Of course, we were only shooting a couple rounds every year though.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have a Deerslaye 20" made in 1967. I took the rifle to a range that had an 18" hanging steel plate 100 yards out. I lined up the sights on the plate and sent a Brenneke slug downrange.

PINGGGGGGG

Yessir

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
My late uncle doted on his Deer Slayer. Mid '70's gun I'd guess. The thing would certainly shoot slugs.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5147 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't think any choke is too small for traditional fosters slugs. (what shoots better than others varies from gun to gun, load to load)

I believe the worry with tight chokes is repeated use with removable chokes and their fine threads.

Shoot away. They're great guns. I have my dad's, it was the first gun I every took in the woods. It's long overdue to go again.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'm going to take it to the range and enjoy it!