SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Joined the 45-70 movement
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joined the 45-70 movement Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Last week while fumbling along on GunBroker I stumbled onto a Sako 375 H&H, a gun I don't have any use for, but the Sako was fitted with gorgeous wood and craftsmanship, I had to have it.
I was ultimately outbid WAY past the point that I knew I should go.
While I was hot for the 375 I thought I should study up and see if another gun might satisfy.
I began to think if I wanted a safe queen, in that size caliber I should look for a control feed model with iron sights, I settled on a search for a CZ in 375 H&H.
Upon gathering info on that I saw the 458 Lott. If I want a dangerous game gun in the back of the safe maybe a BIGGER dangerous game caliber than 375.should be the choice.
I watched a few videos of people shooting the 458 Lott and decided that at 67 I don't want to damage what few body parts I have that still work so I should go back to the 375 and call it a day.
This 45-70 talk is walking me back off the ledge.

The 375HH is a weakness of mine. I love the round, the history and it’s capabiliry. Livening in Alaska dosent help my situation either as lots of people show up here with shiny new 375s then realize they don’t really need them and they sell them for cheap. I think right now I have 5 of them including a sako kodiak, kimber talkeetna, Winchester 70 Alaskan, weatherby vanguard dangerous game and a cz safari rifle. They do get used, I take one on the boat or snow machine anytime we go out but the only animals I’ve ever shot with them are wolves and coyotes.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
CZ or Sako?

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
CZ or Sako?

If you’re asking which I prefer in 375HH between the 2 I’d have to go with the sako for my uses. Blued wooden guns don’t hold up all that well where I live and I’ve seen some get absolutely trashed in the space of one combo bear/moose hunt on the peninsula. Not saying CZ isn’t good because they are but it wouldn’t be my choice if I was going to have one 375 here. The sako very well could be my choice if I was only going to have one.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
A levergun in .45-70, particularly in a handy carbine length, is one of those guns I don’t seem to have a practical use for but that I want just the same. I love threads like this one!

Me too!

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
CZ or Sako?

If you’re asking which I prefer in 375HH between the 2 I’d have to go with the sako for my uses. Blued wooden guns don’t hold up all that well where I live and I’ve seen some get absolutely trashed in the space of one combo bear/moose hunt on the peninsula. Not saying CZ isn’t good because they are but it wouldn’t be my choice if I was going to have one 375 here. The sako very well could be my choice if I was only going to have one.

I finally settled on a Weatherby Dangerous Game rifle chambered in 375 Weatherby Magnum.
Put a Primary Arms 1-6 scope with QD base on top.
For now it lives at the front of the safe where I can only imagine what it is capable of lol.
When it warms I will down some Rhinos at the gun range.

I do have the hots for a 45/70.
What is the recoil like with your hand inside the lever action, it looks like it would HURT under full recoil.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1895 GSBL. I added a Wild West "Happy Trigger" and a Skinner rear sight. Great rifle for knocking over SUVs.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Just got mine back from Wild West yesterday from having an action job done. Need to get back out with it again.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R K9 J:
I have a Marlin 1895 GSBL. I added a Wild West "Happy Trigger" and a Skinner rear sight. Great rifle for knocking over SUVs.

In your opinion was the WW trigger worth it? I've been toying with the idea of buying one for my 1895...it has the worst trigger of all my Marlins...not horrible, but heavy and kinda gritty.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by R K9 J:

In your opinion was the WW trigger worth it? I've been toying with the idea of buying one for my 1895...it has the worst trigger of all my Marlins...not horrible, but heavy and kinda gritty.

Ranger Point Precision seems to have a better reputation on marlinowners.com. I therefore went with them instead of Wild West and was very pleased with their action and accuracy packages.

I do not know any of the principals or owners at RPP or have an interest in them. Just a simple plug for a company that did good work and treated me very well.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Ranger Point Precision seems to have a better reputation on marlinowners.com. I therefore went with them instead of Wild West and was very pleased with their action and accuracy packages.

I do not know any of the principals or owners at RPP or have an interest in them. Just a simple plug for a company that did good work and treated me very well.

Does ranger point offer a drop-in trigger kit? I can't find it on their website. If so, I'd be very interested. My primary interest in the WW trigger is that it avoids sending the gun out for work and all the expense and hastle that entails.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Does ranger point offer a drop-in trigger kit? I can't find it on their website. If so, I'd be very interested. My primary interest in the WW trigger is that it avoids sending the gun out for work and all the expense and hastle that entails.

They don’t offer one that I’m aware of, and unfortunately RPP has ceased doing on site gunsmithing...at least for now. The WW trigger is a drop in anybody with a little mechanical acumen can install.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post