SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Joined the 45-70 movement
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joined the 45-70 movement Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Admittedly I have no practical use for such a cannon, BUT when I saw this beauty about 8 years ago I just HAD to have one. Took me almost a year to find one, SF legend SCP Firearms came through and fulfilled my dream.

It sits in my safe, comes out one or twice a year, hurts my shoulder, then goes back in the safe.

Recently came across this, and thought it pretty funny... Difference between men and boys, price of their toys!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
It sits in my safe, comes out one or twice a year, hurts my shoulder, then goes back in the safe.

I have the same rifle and can shoot 405s out of it all day long.

Surprised to hear you say, "hurts my shoulder". I find it rather tame.

Next to the new SCAR, it's probably my favorite rifle in my "arsenal".

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

I have the same rifle and can shoot 405s out of it all day long.

Surprised to hear you say, "hurts my shoulder". I find it rather tame.

Next to the new SCAR, it's probably my favorite rifle in my "arsenal".

It’s all relative, all I normally shoot is 5.56mm and my 9mm MPX with a brace and the occasional .308

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s all relative,

True enough. And, I tend to load them a little soft as well. Wink

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It’s all relative,

Is the drop at 100 yrd measured in feet? Big Grin

The Hornady 325 gr round is pretty stout and will make you quit at 5 shots. If I still reloaded I'd come up with a more pleasant round for sure. I really haven't tried any other over the counter options.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I picked up a used #1 from a friend. That same friend thought, as a new firearm owner, I should shoot a full box of 405gr at my next range session. Needless to say, I couldn't raise my arm the next day.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Joined the 45/70 movement

There's a movement?

I must have got a really early head start.

45/70 still works, and the Marlin is a nice rifle. I've bought two of them, still have one. Mine has a Leupold Scout Scope. I consider it a 100 yard carbine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sns3guppy,

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My first .45-70 was a 12" Contender pistol. Cool

Second .45-70 was a Marlin Guide gun I chopped at both ends.

Third .45-70 was a Pedersoli Rolling block. I eventually made that a .45-90.

Fourth .45-70 was a Remington Hepburn, eventually made that a ,45-90 as well.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Stop it! I’m trying to convince myself I don’t need a 45/70! I’ve been window shopping GuideGuns since they first came out. Hahahahaha.
This place is expensive. Cool

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
quote:
It’s all relative,

The Hornady 325 gr round is pretty stout and will make you quit at 5 shots. If I still reloaded I'd come up with a more pleasant round for sure. I really haven't tried any other over the counter options.

Jim

Lol, this was my experience as well! I have an 1895 Guide gun, andI picked up a box of those Leverevolution 325gr rounds when I bought it. I took it to the range and only got through 12 of the 20 before I called it a day. Those things were BRUTAL (granted I was shooting off a rest...I've found it's much more manageable from a standing position where your body can roll with the recoil)! To add insult to injury (literally!), I found out that Hornady makes that stupid Leverevolution brass shorter than SAMMI spec to accommodate to ogive of the bullet. I've not purchased another box.

On the other end of the spectrum, my 405gr trailboss loads are a hoot...really light recoil and superbly accurate. I also have an IMR 4895 load at the high end of the trapdoor spectrum that is not too horrible on the shoulder but still delivers a nice thump downrange.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
It’s all relative,

Big Grin

It's not so bad.

My drop is (roughly) 10, 20, and 50 inches at 150, 200, and 250 with a 100 yard zero.

I don't even want to say what the drop is on the 500 grainers that I launch out of the Sharps. It's just too much fun. Especially out at 8-900 yards. Big Grin

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
It’s all relative,

Big Grin

It's not so bad.

My drop is (roughly) 10, 20, and 50 inches at 150, 200, and 250 with a 100 yard zero.

I don't even want to say what the drop is on the 500 grainers that I launch out of the Sharps. It's just too much fun. Especially out at 8-900 yards. Big Grin

Sounds like a fun and challenging load. 800-900 yards huh? Do you aim at the moon and hope it lands within a quarter of a mile of the target? Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You just walk it up from wherever the dust flies. Wink Big Grin

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I bought my first lever gun, and my first 45-70, the day Trump got inaugurated. I figured what better way to celebrate than with an All-American gun, in an All-American caliber, for the 45th President Of The United States who was 70 years old Smile
(I need to take better pics, and more importantly I need to shoot it!)

Here is a 405gr 45-70 round next to an egg I got from a buddy's chicken Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Man, I did not need to see this. Now I want one of these, even if I have absolutely no use for it.

They ward off elephants. I haven't seen an elephant in a 50 mile radius since I bought my 45-70.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Go read the recoil thread. Some rifles chambered in 45/70 weigh a bit much to carry very long. Others need light loads. One of mine is an 1886, the Montana commemorative. It could also serve as a crew served weapon. I don't know where you would mount the carriage, but it would be better than carrying it all day. Factory stats reflect the average wood. Somehow Browning located and used some pretty heavy wood. Nice figure, too. Using the under powered factory ammo, its just above pussycat.

I decided I wanted a scope on a 45-70. So I decided to use my handy B78, a reproduction of the original 1878 single shot. The stock is well designed and all it requires is a good scope. I define that as one with 4" of eye relief or more. Smile Leupold makes one in 1-4x variable.

Everyone here who owns a single shot seems to have settled on a Ruger. I have no idea why, for the same length overall, you get a shorter barrel. I guess the Winchester would be an eyeopener with a short relief scope.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Last week while fumbling along on GunBroker I stumbled onto a Sako 375 H&H, a gun I don't have any use for, but the Sako was fitted with gorgeous wood and craftsmanship, I had to have it.
I was ultimately outbid WAY past the point that I knew I should go.
While I was hot for the 375 I thought I should study up and see if another gun might satisfy.
I began to think if I wanted a safe queen, in that size caliber I should look for a control feed model with iron sights, I settled on a search for a CZ in 375 H&H.
Upon gathering info on that I saw the 458 Lott. If I want a dangerous game gun in the back of the safe maybe a BIGGER dangerous game caliber than 375.should be the choice.
I watched a few videos of people shooting the 458 Lott and decided that at 67 I don't want to damage what few body parts I have that still work so I should go back to the 375 and call it a day.
This 45-70 talk is walking me back off the ledge.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

(I need to take better pics, and more importantly I need to shoot it!)

Is that the Henry Case-hardened lever with the octagon barrel? Nice looking carbine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I bought a JM Marlin lever .45-70 from Big Rob (of Big Rob's Gunleather) a few years back. Already topped with a Skinner Alaskan rear peep, and sighted in so that Leverevolution ammo is dead nuts at 100.

As a bonus, Rob hand made me a leather buttstock ammo sleeve, and I've decided this will be a legacy gun for my family. It will leave my possession when I'm dead, not before.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too recently joined the shoulder fired artillery movement.

A Marlin 1895 Trapper, with the factory Skinner sight replaced with the XS Lever Rail. Topped with a Leupold fixed power 2.5 x 28 scope.

Next on the agenda is some range time with a variety of ammo to establish a 100 yard zero.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post