SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    colt 6920 prices wow! were have I been?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

colt 6920 prices wow! were have I been? Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
I had planned on picking up a colt LE6920m4 for a Marine who is graduating as a gift of a job well done, but have been having some sticker shock at how much they have climbed in price.

I Had heard that colt stopped production so I'm guessing that is part of the climb in price. I figured that with the glut of Ar on the market I'm sure colt was busting at the seams with them.

I guess I missed the boat. Bummed Frown

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Supply and demand. But, often, markets don't reflect just the perceived current market, but the future market. Stocks, Toilet Paper, Colt ARs... when the announcement was made the Colt ARs, already with some demand in place, were snapped up.

This has been discussed in this thread for several months, with some members discussing various ones that surface.

You Will Buy a Colt

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you missed it about 1-1/2 years ago from cheap 6920s and about 6 months ago from still available Colts.

Colt got a large FMS contract and had to move rifle production to fill it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I too wanted a 6920, but Colt lost me at the time as they went wonkers with all the variants and I did not wish to try and figure out what the hell they were doing. Just wanted the original 6920 le marked complete rifle. Nope.
Fortunately just found and bought a 6720 and closed the book. Now it is part of my retirement portfolioSmile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I got an email the other day that someone had a few at $1400 each.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I got an email the other day that someone had a few at $1400 each.

A seller local to me is trying to sell them for this price. Initially it appeared that they were trickling out one at a time, but now has 5 posted for sale for $!400.

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good quality AR's out there you can buy than paying top dollar for an overpriced Colt. If you shop around I'm sure you can find a reasonable priced Colt 6920. There was a shop in my area that just a few weeks ago had 6920's for under a grand.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I bought my 6920 several years ago for $995. Prices were going up then and I thought I’d better buy it while I can get it for $995. Then it seems like I saw the price drop down to $699 and now they are up to $1,400? Crazy.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
And they will likely continue to go up in price.

Ceased production for the commercial market does that.

Good thing is there is ample production outside of Colt - and most of what's out there will fill market demand.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I bought mine for $690 when they were going BK the first time around. It finally looks like a good buy.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are great rifles to have even right now for a very fair price, there is no denying that the 6920 is a good rifle but the great thing is there equal quality or better rifles for less and plentiful.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get him an FN AR, it’s who’s making them for the military now anyway. Plus the seem a bit nicer, I’ve seen both colt and FN M4’s brand new out of the box and The FN was just gorgeous

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I have a coworker that wants to buy my LE6920 that is stamped LE and .Gov use only. I’m having a hard time finding a price because everything is inflated and I can’t do that to a coworker but I also don’t want to get screwed.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends, is it a 'friend' or 'coworker'..?

I'm not one to 'gouge' someone, in fact I traded an AR-15 for a Beretta M9A3 last week - it was a fair pre-panic trade, but the dude was a close family friend.

Colt rifles have been hard to come buy since they stopped dedicated civie sales to fulfill an FMS buy, so there is no way I'd sell one for less than $1200-ish, give or take. Heck if someone offered me $1500 cash for my LE6920-R "Trooper" (shaved FSB and Centurion rail), I'd say no. You'd have to get closer to the $2K range (ridiculous for a DI-AR) to get me to sell it, because I really like the rifle.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
There are deals out there. Gotta keep your eyes open and be ready to jump on one when the opportunity presents itself.

Last year, well after Colt announced a halt to civilian production, I saw a post on ARF. Somebody mentioned they saw a Colt 6920 HBPW (14.5" SOCOM Barrel) at a store in Texas. The OP was debating whether he should buy it at the advertised price of $1,099.

While he was considering the purchase and fielding responses from forum members, I was researching the store he mentioned and I placed my order post haste. Turned out to be a great transaction and an excellent new Colt.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
While he was considering the purchase and fielding responses from forum members, I was researching the store he mentioned and I placed my order post haste. Turned out to be a great transaction and an excellent new Colt.
Yeah, that's a good deal. I considered one of those last summer but when with the Colt MR762 rifle for $1375.

Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
For some, the prancing pony makes them pony up for the asking price. Smile

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
For some, the prancing pony makes them pony up for the asking price. Smile

It's certainly true you can get a cheaper AR than a Colt. Few will hold their value as well though.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
It's certainly true you can get a cheaper AR than a Colt. Few will hold their value as well though.

Once I started building my own AR's they became a commodity tool in my mind. Hammers basically. I just don't think about 'Holding value,' for better or worse. They're totally de-mystified.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek: Once I started building my own AR's they became a commodity tool in my mind. Hammers basically. I just don't think about 'Holding value,' for better or worse. They're totally de-mystified.
Thats fine, but it's a fact that a Colt LE6920 or other variant will command a much higher premium, especially during a craze, than a LGKEK-AR15.

Because it's a known quantity - and while ARs aren't 'hard' to put together, there are still a large majority that manage to fuck them up.