SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    KAC AR's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KAC AR's Login/Join 
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted
Contemplating a purchase but have never shot or handled one. I've been an LMT guy but am looking to expand. Any forum members have a Knights and your opinions.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in FL Knights was right down the street in Titusville, cool company. However, I shot MANY multi-gun matches at the Volusia County Gun and Hunt Club where a few shooters had Knights rifles. Especially in .308, they seemed unreliable rolling around on that sandy range vs. other frankenguns brought out there to compete. After firing damn near everything made in the AR world these days, I’m fairly convinced it’s all the same shit in the AR world. I can’t find one thing I was able to do better in an LMT, LWRC, BCM, KAC, etc etc rifle vs say a PSA build.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the course of a few days in a precision rifle course, I spent some time with the facility owner's KAC SR25. The SR25 was chambered in 308, and I shot FGMM 168 and 175 through it. One of the course instructors was Nick Irving -- a Ranger sniper who had recently finished his tour, using a KAC SR25 as his sniper rifle. Nick stated that the facility owner's SR25 felt and shot just like his duty rifle.

Nick felt the SR25 was an extremely useful rifle, with sniper capabilities out to 700-ish meters. His ability to shoot the SR25 accurately, from both stable and compromised shooting positions, was a pleasure to watch.

My accuracy with the SR25 wasn't as stellar as Nick's, but I did shoot it quite well. I got to shoot the SR25 side-by-side against an SCAR 17, and a GAP-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. IMO the SR25 is one of the best AR10s out there. From an accuracy standpoint, I feel the GAP-10 and my Black Rain Ordnance based AR10 are more precise rifles, but that may be partly due to their 6.5CM chamberings.

I've shot a couple LMTs that are chambered in 223. Not a boatload of rounds, but enough to get a feel for the rifles. Those LMTs were quite nice and they were quite accurate.

Both KAC and LMT make high quality rifles. Both are expensive, but I believe comparable KACs generally cost more than the LMTs.

It comes down to what you want out of a KAC. For most shooters, I doubt either brand's comparable rifle will provide a noticeable difference in reliability or accuracy. Especially if those shooters will never put more than a couple thousand rounds down the pipe over the course of ownership.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think some of the problems that KAC / SR-25s had initially have be solved - at least from the stuff reported about them on other forums, which include their industry reps.

As Fritz says, it really depends what you want to do with it. I have considered a KAC purchase multiple times, most recently an SR-25 of some variety - but I come back to the realization that where I live, it's very difficult for me to shoot >300yds and all of my realistic shooting is <100yds, so that great capability (if I could master it) is wasted.

So when the AR-10ish urge struck me again recently, I chose the Colt CM762 FMS over-runs that they were clearing out this summer for $1375. Yeah it's proprietary to a degree, but most AR-10s are (esp. KAC) and after shooting it on steel out to 300 last weekend, I know that I made the right decision for me, because for about 30% of the cost of a SR-25, I have everything I want.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Are you interested in an SR-25, or SR-15? I've been very happy with my SR-15, and the new ones offer many improvements over mine.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we are talking SR-25 then what you are buying is something with a pedigree that is meaningful and related to an issued rifle. That's whats in the purchase price and the product. Its an excellent product for someone who knows how to build what it is. If the pedigree means nothing lots of other options almost all cheaper and probably in a better caliber.
If we are talking SR-15 then I have no idea and no experience.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
SR15 is top notch.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3173 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had 3 SR-15's. They were excellent weapons but I ended up selling them at a substantial profit during one of the AR Scares. I wouldn't mind owning another couple but can't really say that functionally they were any better or in some respects as good as the LMT's and LWRC's that I currently still own.

I remember the Match SR-15 I had as being the only AR I've ever had that absolutely REQUIRED the use of a Small Base die to reload for it. Note: In the instruction manual it STATED that you should only use factory match ammo in that particular rifle so I didn't hold the need for an SB die against it. The other 2 I had functioned with whatever I shot in them.

Ultimately they are a top-tier AR at a top-top-tier price. For me they certainly turned out to be a good and profitable investment but I don't know if I'd bet on that happening again. If I found a good deal on one and had the cash I wouldn't pass over one but I won't be selling off my LMT's to move into one either........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
My SR-15 is a top-notch rifle. I have no qualms about it.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KAC rifles are awesome. Based on what you get in features and accessories, the SR15s are really quite a good value.

The SR25 CC and PC are in my opinion the pinnacle of the Stoner design at present. They are accurate, light weight (CC feels like a 5.56 AR), reliable battle rifles. I recently shot a PC out to 930 yds using a NF ATACR 1-8. Phenomenal. The MAMS is expensive but just fantastic at recoil mitigation. Recent production CC and PC have chf barrels. The intermediate length sealed (at gasblock) gas system is great. I have a lot of time behind the LMT mws, LaRue obr, kac pc, kac cc, fn SCAR17s, and SCAR20s, with a bit of time being the DD5. The CC and PC are my favorites, with the mws with LW barrel a very close contender.

The SR15 series with its e3 bolt upgrade, ambi lower, and intermediate gas system really shines. The 14” SR15 mod2 is so smooth shooting.

I too love LMT. I could standardize on kac and LMT and be very happy.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Outstanding rifles for sure. I really like that they redesigned the bolts with radiused lugs and improved geometry. I also like that they use hammer forged barrels. I'm not sure if the SR-15s use mid-length gas systems but either way, they are great rifles. KAC is a company that puts forth an effort to make the best product possible regardless of expense without cutting corners.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of SR15 E3 Mod 2 16" carbines. Keymod, just before their M locks came out.

I'm fighting the urge to get a pair of Mlock ones.

They are primo fighting rifles. The only change I've added to mine is a MIAD grip

Otherwise the standard accoutrements: Aimpoint, and Surefire as well as a BFG sling.

IIRC the Secret Service has issued SR 16s for a number of years.

When I figured the LMT sopmod stock, ambi lower, quality 2 stage trigger (not too light), great rail, great barrel, and primo iron sights.... I came out ahead of buying a quality base rifle and adding several of these upgrades. I also have built a number of my own carbines. I'll still choose an SR over any that I've built myself, even no cost spared builds.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
I have a pair of SR15 E3 Mod 2 16" carbines. Keymod, just before their M locks came out.

I'm fighting the urge to get a pair of Mlock ones.

They are primo fighting rifles. The only change I've added to mine is a MIAD grip

Otherwise the standard accoutrements: Aimpoint, and Surefire as well as a BFG sling.

IIRC the Secret Service has issued SR 16s for a number of years.

When I figured the LMT sopmod stock, ambi lower, quality 2 stage trigger (not too light), great rail, great barrel, and primo iron sights.... I came out ahead of buying a quality base rifle and adding several of these upgrades. I also have built a number of my own carbines. I'll still choose an SR over any that I've built myself, even no cost spared builds.

Yep. When you factor in the rail, 2-stage trigger, CHF CL barrel, best in class BUIS, ambi lower, and SOPMOD stock, the Mod2 is quite reasonably priced. Add in the KAC upgrades to the gas system and E3 bolt (basically a “forever” bolt wrt longevity) and it’s really reasonably priced. It’s a turn key rifle that only needs an optic, sling, and light.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Everything I have from KAC is top quality and innovative design. Worth every penny.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29592 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post