SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which Long Gun Would You Probably Like But Never Own???
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Long Gun Would You Probably Like But Never Own??? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Something chambered for 338 Lapua, especially a Sako TRG-42 to go with my -22s. I wouldn’t have a place to shoot it that would do justice to the cartridge, though, and if I couldn’t manage the 300 Win Mag Tikka I had, I’m sure I’d do no better with a 338.

Must keep reminding myself of all that.

The TRG-42 in 338 Lapua is easier to manage than you might think. It doesn't kick too much more than the TRG 22's it's just stinking LOUD! :-D

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
There's only one - I will find a way to get a Dakota Model 10 and a good Sharps from one of those two places in Montana. The "one" in question? Feast your eyes on the mighty mite, the one and only East German SSG-82.

I've got your Dakota Model 10 in 7mm Dakota. It comes WITH Brass and dies ;-) ;-)

I would trade it in on a Barrett 50 cal which is my like but prolly will never own.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont know if it fits the category of long gun, but:
M1895 Gatling Gun. "Remember the Maine"!
Otherwise:
M1873 Winchester Saddle Ring Carbine in .44-40.
I have ran across them before but always when I was too broke to buy it. Must be fate.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A full auto American 180. A .22 LR automatic weapon would be a hoot.

Now I sense a Class III "Which Class III Gun would You Probably Like But Never Own??" thread

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I want a .416 or .458 safari rifle, high polish blue, Mauser action and French walnut. No reason. Just want one. Ya know, in case I need to stop a charging Buick.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Since he specified rifle, carbine, or shotgun, I'm going to leave off the full auto stuff.

With regards to more common rifles, I'd say a Gewehr 43. Cool piece of history, but prices are ridiculous now. ($2,500+)

For less common rifles, I'd say a Johnson M1941, or the experimental Johnson Type R carbine.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
AR-15 RDIAS, Sturmgewehr 44 (or variant thereof), FN FNC (Full Auto of course), legit Swiss SIG 55X series, HK MP5 (FA).

Came close on getting the SIG, but passed before the priced when way up on those that came with the faux suppressor.

I could get an MP5 clone but it'd just be a toy, so not worth it.

I've always lusted for an FNC since I was a kid.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I've always lusted for an FNC since I was a kid.

Same. Has that "1970s/1980s Cold War utilitarian" vibe.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Came to me instantly...Barrett fifty!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
In the actually doable, but won't happen range, a semi auto BAR would be nice. I want to take one hunting for some reason.

In the "since we're spending your money, not mine" column, a nice Austrian or English double rifle please.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
SCAR Heavy.

Super cool, super fun, three colorways of FDE Wink, but just outside my budget for a semi-auto .308

When you can get good-to-excellent AR10s, HK/PTR-91s, and Galils in that 1500~ range, I just can't see spending double to have the SCAR.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Beretta BM-62.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
In the actually doable, but won't happen range, a semi auto BAR would be nice. I want to take one hunting for some reason.

I was gonna say that it'd be like bowhunting with a rifle (follow-through while the bolt runs forward being like follow-through while an arrow clears the bow), but then I realized - semiauto would have to fire from a closed bolt rather than an open bolt in order to pass legal muster, right?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
probably an M1 Garand

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I was gonna say that it'd be like bowhunting with a rifle (follow-through while the bolt runs forward being like follow-through while an arrow clears the bow), but then I realized - semiauto would have to fire from a closed bolt rather than an open bolt in order to pass legal muster, right?

Currently, yep.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
M1 carbine.

Same here.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like one of the commemorative Quigley Down Under sharpes rifles. Absolutely no use for one, but would still enjoy it.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
A 460 Wby. Just because

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
A really high end side by side double shotgun, like and Ideal grade LC Smith. I love old doubles, but don't have the money to play on that field.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'll agree 100% with RougeJSK...that Johnson M1941 would be the berries Cool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post