SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendation for .22LR Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for .22LR Rifle Login/Join 
Picture of bobandmikako
posted
I'm looking for some guidance on choosing a .22LR rifle. It'll just be for plinking and range use. I haven't had a .22 rifle since I was a kid and my eyesight was a lot better. I don't really care if it's a bolt action, semi-auto or lever action but I'm looking for one with good iron sights, although I may end up mounting a scope at some point. I'd also prefer a gun that's not child-sized. Other than that, I don't have any preferences. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best value these days is the CZ455. I like the varmint models, as they have heavy barrels, but no sights. They have other models with sights. Quality rifles, made like their heavier caliber brothers, but in .22 caliber

Try the triggers whenever you get the chance, CZ are good/very good right from the factory. Also, the CZ .22’s are OK to dry fire.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Ruger 10/22 TD is my choice. Be prepared to "Barbie" up the rifle.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CZ's are a great choice if you want a bolt action rifle. All around if you only have one 22lr it's pretty hard to beat a Ruger 10/22, nearly infinitely customizable, reasonably priced, and commonly available.

There are a number of excellent 22 rifles. Many of them fit specific purposes and niches. I'd still argue for a 10/22 as the best all around.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
I'm looking for some guidance on choosing a .22LR rifle. It'll just be for plinking and range use. I haven't had a .22 rifle since I was a kid and my eyesight was a lot better. I don't really care if it's a bolt action, semi-auto or lever action but I'm looking for one with good iron sights, although I may end up mounting a scope at some point. I'd also prefer a gun that's not child-sized. Other than that, I don't have any preferences. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

CZ 455 Trainer, or 452 Lux if you can find one New Old Stock.

Most of the sights on rimfires these days are junk.

I can take the factory tangent sights on my 452 out to 200 yards on milk jugs with no problems. And shoot squirrels in the head out to 50 yards.

CZs are also built with the quality of a centerfire, whereas many rimfires feel like toys.

I have numerous 22 rifles and the CZ is leaps and bounds better than the rest.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a fun plinker, look into the S&W 15-22. I have yet to have someone shoot one of mine and not fall in love with it.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henry, marlin 39a, cz trainer, cz 512.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I love my 10/22.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Factor8:
If you are looking for a fun plinker, look into the S&W 15-22. I have yet to have someone shoot one of mine and not fall in love with it.

I have had multiple people borrow mine and say that they were heading straight to the gun store to buy one. At least one I saw again later and they DID go and buy one. The S&W 15/22 is a first choice for anyone with AR-15's and wanting less expensive practice rifles. I still think "all-around" the 10/22 is the best for hunting etc etc etc. But good point about the S&W 15/22 maybe being the most FUN 22lr around!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ruger 10/22, American Rimfire, or CZ455 series

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A Marlin 60 and a Ruger 10/22

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'll add to the CZ crowd. I have an American in 22lr, a precision trainer in 22lr, a scout in 22lr, a varmint in 17hmr and a 452 in 22mag

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
For a bolt action, I’d go CZ of some type. I really like my CZ 455 Varmit, but’s its a 17HMR with no open sights.

For a semi, it’s a toss up for me between a Ruger 10/22 and the M&P 15-22. The Ruger is a little more traditional, it’s nice to have the ten round mags tucked up into the stock and that helps when shooting from a rest. The 15-22 works great and is more user friendly with the mag release and such.

Both can be modified, both can have 10 to 25rd magazines. My Ruger has a full Volquartsen kit and I added an ALG trigger to the 15-22.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Get a CZ 455 if you want a fancier, high quality tack driver.

Get a Ruger 10/22 if you want something that you can customize the hell out of, and that can fill any role.

Get a S&W M&P 15-22 if you want a fun plinker that will put a grin on the face of anyone who shoots it, and that can be set up like your defensive rifle for cheap training.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Marlin 60. Best bang for the bucks.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t have much to add that everyone hasn’t said already.

Bolt - CZ455. You can get ridiculous accuracy from this rifle with some mods

Semi auto - Ruger 10/22. 10/22 has been around forever and there are too many parts available for it. If you want rock solid reliability (after some minor tweaks), this is it.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! I'll start looking around at what's available on Monday. I'm thinking of getting a basic 10/22 for plinking and if I end up wanting to do more target shooting, then I'll look to a CZ. From what I can tell on Ruger's website, the 10/22 has a gold bead front sight and those usually work pretty well for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bobandmikako,

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
How about a Browning BL-22 Lever action and put a Skinner rear peep on? Certainly a more expensive option, but those things are slick and the rear peep makes them unbelievably fun to shoot. -- who doesn't like working a lever action?

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I love my CZ452 very much.

10/22 is great for customizing.

I watched some Biathlon yesterday and now I really want an Anshutz.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Of all the .22 rifles I have, my favorites are:
Henry lever action Frontier Octagon 20" H001T model. Super smooth action, very accurate, buckhorn rear and gold bead front sights. Beautiful little lever gun.
Ruger 10-22, one has wood stock and iron sights, the other has a Hogue stock bull barrel and scope. Both have custom triggers. Both are just FUN rifles.
I picked up a mint Remington 581 magazine fed bolt action like I had years ago. Mounted an old Weaver scope on it and walk the woods with it shooting squirrels and plinking. My sons have similar rifles we found and it's made for some great memories.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post