SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendation for .22LR Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for .22LR Rifle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a 10/22, an M&P 15-22 and a Marlin 39A. They are all a hoot to shoot! A Henry lever would be a great option for a lever gun. I have one chambered in .22 WMR and is also fun to shoot!

Posts: 3464 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger 10/22 - but it is a mistress that will lead you down a dark path of modification!!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
I love my CZ452 very much.

10/22 is great for customizing.

I watched some Biathlon yesterday and now I really want an Anshutz.

Got my eye on an Anschutz with the Fortner action - see gun!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
I'm looking for some guidance on choosing a .22LR rifle. It'll just be for plinking and range use. I haven't had a .22 rifle since I was a kid and my eyesight was a lot better. I don't really care if it's a bolt action, semi-auto or lever action but I'm looking for one with good iron sights, although I may end up mounting a scope at some point. I'd also prefer a gun that's not child-sized. Other than that, I don't have any preferences. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

CZ 455 Trainer, or 452 Lux if you can find one New Old Stock.

Most of the sights on rimfires these days are junk.

I can take the factory tangent sights on my 452 out to 200 yards on milk jugs with no problems. And shoot squirrels in the head out to 50 yards.

CZs are also built with the quality of a centerfire, whereas many rimfires feel like toys.

I have numerous 22 rifles and the CZ is leaps and bounds better than the rest.

This pretty much sums it up if your first priority is iron sights check out. The Lux and Trainer variants are designed with iron sights in mind and have the hogback style stock to go with it.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I found a nice 80s marlin 60 22" 17 round tube with last round hold open. Nice guns and I've enjoyed collecting a few more marlins like the papoose and a lesser know 981t bolt.

Hickok45 Marlin 60 chapter 2
https://youtu.be/fLnaSqAjEWI

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I don't have the photos readily available because photobucket is a dumpster fire, but if you care about quality iron sights on a factory rifle, the CZ is really your best option.

I have a 10/22 takedown and it is a good rifle now that I added Tech Sights, but still not on par with the factory CZ.

Most 22s that have iron sights, the sights are an afterthought and essentially worthless.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I had mentioned to a guy at work that I was looking for a .22 with decent iron sights. He has a few Mossberg M44 US training rifles and has offered to sell me one if I like it. I'm going to check it out sometime this week. The sights look pretty good from what I can tell online.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
10/22 and LOTS of ammo. Big Grin

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I just bought 2 Ruger American Rimfire rifles in .22LR.

An 18" threaded barrel and a 22" barrel.

I posted a review of them and am thoroughly impressed with them.

The trigger is light years better than my 77/22 that is already silky smooth.

I use them to shoot rats in chicken houses and abuse the everlovin crap out of them with no problems whatsoever.

You can't go wrong with the RAR.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Tangent rear sight on my 452 Lux.

Not the greatest picture.

The sights are properly regulated. Aperture sights have their place. I put Tech Sights on a 10/22 for squirrel hunting and I actually much prefer the open style sights on the CZ. When it gets dim in the woods, aperture sights are harder for me to see through.

The CZ is a full sized rifle.

My favorite rifle to take to the woods.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
NEVER use Kraft Italian Dressing to marinate squirrel.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
NEVER use Kraft Italian Dressing to marinate squirrel.

Or anything else for that matter. Shelf stable salad dressings are disgusting amalgams of soybean oil and preservatives.

Icy salt water for a couple of days, then fried up with just a dredge in flour and a little salt and pepper.

Squirrel is delicious, it doesn't need a marinade.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IndianaBoy,

posted Hide Post
I got a Marlin Model 60 carbine for Christmas fifty years ago and it is still a great shooter. I will never replace it.

If I had to make a change it would be the 10/22

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I ended up picking up a Lipsey's 10/22 Sporter with a 22" barrel. The sights aren't bad at all. For the type of plinking I'll be doing, it'll work. I may end up with a CZ in the future as well if I decided to do more target shooting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bobandmikako,

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
OP,

For a plinker don't forget to look at the classic Browning .22, its sights are good not great.

If you want a great full size .22 for plinking you might look for a Surplus Model 82 by Kimber, last I looked they were running around $600 and have true target sights. You give up the automatic action however.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Several years ago I found a nice 80s marlin 60 22" 17 round tube with last round hold open. Nice guns and I've enjoyed collecting a few more marlins like the papoose and a lesser know 981t bolt.

Hickok45 Marlin 60 chapter 2
https://youtu.be/fLnaSqAjEWI

Most accurate 22 I have ever fired

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post