SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    12/19/20 RANGE REPORT - Photos on page 2 ** Remington 5R 308 rifle - want to change to another stock - recommendations please - photos attached
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12/19/20 RANGE REPORT - Photos on page 2 ** Remington 5R 308 rifle - want to change to another stock - recommendations please - photos attached Login/Join 
posted
Guys - Need some help please..... I have had a Remington 700 5R Bolt Action rifle with the stock BULL (Heavy) stainless barrel for 10+ years that has the factory green and black composite stock on it and I would like to change the stock over to a DROP IN (do not want to have to bed or machine) stock set up that would allow me to use detachable mags without breaking my bank account....

I saw pictures of the Magpul Hunter stock and did not know if this is viewed to be a good stock for my set up. I also would like the mags to be affordable and easy to get (plans would be to have a handful of 5 rd and a couple of 10 rd mags).....

Can anyone comment on this Magpul Hunter stock and/or recommend a comparable stock that will allow me to use detachable mags please....I would like to stay in the range of $300 or less for the stock....

Thanks in advance for any support/guidance...Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarmsp226,

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
I would take a look at the KRG Bravo line of stocks. I have them on three actions and I'm very impressed for the money.

KRG Bravo

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If that is an HS Precision stock like they used on the Sendero and 700P of that vintage , HS makes a drop in detachable mag system.

If you hate the stock, that’s a different matter.

https://hsprecision.com/produc...ine-conversion-kits/

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
I would take a look at the KRG Bravo line of stocks.

I have a KRG X-Ray chassis for a Tikka and am happy with it, but it is more expensive than the Bravo.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/

That H-S Precision conversion looks interesting, but I would be a little concerned by the fact that it uses proprietary magazines rather than something like AI mags that would be much more common and there are substitutes for.
(Yeah, that coming from the guy who uses proprietary Sako and Tikka mags, but some proprietary products are more available and less expensive than others.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fire Away has it right. In my opinion, the Bravo is "heads-and-shoulders" above the lower end Magpul stocks. One of the biggest advantages with the Bravo is the adjustable cheek rest. It is actually adjustable to any height - not a replaceable cheek piece that is restricted to a predetermined height.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Not sure if Accuracy Innovations (aigunstocks.com) offers a detachable mag setup, but I like that they imbed an aluminum chassis into real or laminate wood stocks. Might want to inquire.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
AICS. Expensive but they work. If you decide to swap stocks and wish to sell the current one, drop me an email. Ty.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Like it's been said, if that's the old HS precision stock they used I wouldn't ditch that for something else.

If it's not, then for a drop in the magpul works. Personally bedding int that hard to do and inletting just takes time. Any half decent gunsmith can do it (just ask what they use to bed). I always used devcon at the shop, shit got harder than some stocks so it wasn't moving at all. I've also seen some bed jobs that they glued a fucking nickle in the stock to just tighten things up (I wish I still had the pics of that since I took them so the customer would believe me, but that was a few years back now).

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
Like it's been said, if that's the old HS precision stock they used I wouldn't ditch that for something else.

Is there a way to use that stock with detachable box magazines as the OP is seeking?
I was a little confused by H-S Precision’s conversion to box magazines and whether it was compatible with older stocks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Is there a way to use that stock with detachable box magazines as the OP is seeking?
I was a little confused by H-S Precision’s conversion to box magazines and whether it was compatible with older stocks.

I'm nearly certain it can be used. The 700 floorplate design hasn't changed that I'm aware of. One of my stocks was from the 90s, the other from about 5 years ago. Both fit the same.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I drank the Magpul koolaid. I have the Magpul Hunter on a Ruger American Predator and I really like it. Enough adjustability for my needs. It is stiff enough and leaves the barrel fully free floating.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have the Magpul on my .308 700 PSS. It was a straight drop in IIRC. The setup uses Magpul AICS pattern magazines at @ $40 per. The magwell was a bit tight, but a little sanding on the mags cured the issue. For the money you can't beat the utility.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Sorry for the huge pic. I'll resize it when I figure out how to. LOL

The Magpul Remington stock works just fine. Just realize that you'll need to buy the magazine adaptor too since they don't always come with the stock itself. You also will likely want to buy the cheekpiece inserts to fit it to your preferences.

Is it as good a stock as a Manners carbon fiber stock, NO. But it's 1/4 the price and good luck getting a Manners quicker than several months from now. Is it as good a stock as a Accuracy International stock, NO but it's 1/3 to 1/6th the price of some of the AI stocks.

The Magpul is a good stock at a good price that is one of the less expensive ways to convert your rifle to magazine fed and adjustable cheekpiece. It works with inexpensively available mags and is relatively bulletproof. There are better stocks available but at FAR higher cost. I like the Magpul much better than stocks in it's price range.

I hope you find what you like!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone - I want to thank you for your comments, recommendations, and suggestions.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Bravo-KRG black stock so this is where I am going to start. I will also be receiving and trying the Magpul ACIS 5 round mag system so this fits my need and based on the comments here is a good basic stock system to start with.

One Question that I do not know the answer too that if others here do please let me know.

I intend on using a Harris "S" Bipod - Can anyone advise if I should purchase the "Harris Bipod" "Inline" Direct Mount below to use on the Bravo stock?

https://kineticresearchgroup.c...roduct/harris-mount/

Thanks Again to everyone for your help. I will post pictures once I receive the stock and get this unit set up on this new for me stock system. Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I suspect that that mount is a little more stable than just attaching the bipod to a sling swivel stud, and although that usual mounting system always worked fine in my experience, the extra sense of security would probably be worth it to me if I were using a Harris bipod. FWIW, I had no problems the one time I returned merchandise to KRG, but of course the shipping costs for an inexpensive item are something to consider.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That mount has more surface area than the sling swivel stud mount does, and appears to have the added benefit of not being able to shoot loose as easily. I've always used the swivel stud because I swap two bipods between four or five rifles. If you're going to keep the bipod on the gun that mount looks like a good choice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that the question was asked, but for possible consideration I much prefer being able to attach and remove my bipods fast and easily with a QD mount that affixes to a Picatinny rail section on the rifle stock. I do too many different things with my rifles and own too many that I use bipods with to limit myself to a mount that makes it slow and difficult to put the bipod on and take off.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
At this point you should either use a rail section as sigfreund says or an arca section and adjust the bipod to one or the other. an acra section is way more versatile.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen - I am reading and I am listening and your recommendations make 100% sense to me with one exception....Which arca mount would you recommend?

Here is a link to all of the accessories photo and the you can scroll down to view each part detail...If I may ask when your time allows if you could review the link below and tell me which mount you recommend for the Bravo stock system. I totally agree that having the ability to easily attach and remove the bipod is something that would lend itself well for transport and times when I want to shoot without the bipod attached....Thanks Again for your help...

https://kineticresearchgroup.c...ories-bravo-chassis/