SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 5R 308 rifle - want to change to another stock - recommendations please - photos attached
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 5R 308 rifle - want to change to another stock - recommendations please - photos attached Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen - I am reading and I am listening and your recommendations make 100% sense to me with one exception....Which arca mount would you recommend?

Here is a link to all of the accessories photo and the you can scroll down to view each part detail...If I may ask when your time allows if you could review the link below and tell me which mount you recommend for the Bravo stock system. I totally agree that having the ability to easily attach and remove the bipod is something that would lend itself well for transport and times when I want to shoot without the bipod attached....Thanks Again for your help...

https://kineticresearchgroup.c...ories-bravo-chassis/

Posts: 2679 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I think the spigot mount gives you the most versatility. You will need a rail section for the mount and the rail adaptor for the bipod, but you can install and remove the bipod with no tools or small parts to lose.

Posts: 6752 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Arca-Swiss mounting system has been around for many years and I was vaguely aware of it for photography purposes, but I’ve only recently noticed its adoption by shooters to mount accessories and to mount rifles directly to tripods. I also note that more manufacturers are offering Arca-based accessories for shooters. Beyond that, though, I don’t know much about the system myself, so I would also be interested in any discussion and advice current users have to offer.

Added: The below photo shows a KRG with a “spigot” mount for the bipod. It uses a Picatinny rail section for my QD mount to attach to, but it appears that the KRG Arca spigot mount would be the same except designed for an Arca clamp.

There are a couple of advantages to a spigot mount in front of the forend of the stock. In theory at least the farther forward the bipod is mounted, the less any movement by the shooter’s body affects point of aim. In addition, it leaves the bottom of the stock unencumbered for whatever else we might want to do with it.

The alternative is to attach a long Arca rail to the bottom of the forend and that would have its pros and cons. The big pro is that it permits attaching the bipod or other accessories such as barrier stops to any point along the rail we wish rather than at one fixed point. If the shooter is trying to engage moving targets, as in certain competitions, the rifle can be panned through a larger arc more easily if the bipod is attached farther to the rear. Depending upon its configuration the rifle could also be mounted on a tripod with Arca head, and it might be possible to balance it in position without any other support; because the spigot mount is so far forward, that wouldn’t be possible with it.

The disadvantage I see to the long Arca rail on the forend is how the rail would affect shooting from certain surfaces, but more important, how vulnerable it might be to damage if we’re resting the forend on something like a metal fence rail or if the gun is being banged around. Perhaps there are protective covers that could be put on the rail, but I haven’t researched that.

I never considered the Arca mounting system before now and might change my mind in time, but if I had to make an immediate decision right now, I’d still choose the spigot mount over the long rail for the type of shooting I do.

“The most common reaction to a life-or-death situation is to do nothing.”
— Amanda Ripley, The Unthinkable: who survives when disaster strikes and why (New York: Three Rivers Press, 2008)

Posts: 42842 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spigot is a better choice over the extended rail for most shooters as it is used strictly as a bipod mount. The extended Arca rails can flex a little and are of little use unless you plan on clamping in on a tripod or compete in matches and need the ability of sliding the bipod back to obtain a shooting position on a small surface or use as stop against a barricade.

Personally, I don't compete anymore so Arca rails do little for me. I regularly use a tripod in my shooting and just use a rear bag on a table for distances out to 1200-1300 yards. If I'm shooting longer distances, say 2000 yards, I will clamp in to a short 4" Arca rail mounted at the balance point of the rifle, just in front of the magazine well

For most shooters who don't compete, the picatinny rail system is more convenient as you can use 1 bipod on several rifles, including ARs, for less cost. YMMV

Sigfreund: Nice example of a rifle using a KRG chassis with a spigot mounted bipod.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 627 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sig Marine, for your comments. That’s exactly the sort of thing I appreciate here.

“The most common reaction to a life-or-death situation is to do nothing.”
— Amanda Ripley, The Unthinkable: who survives when disaster strikes and why (New York: Three Rivers Press, 2008)

Posts: 42842 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post