SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg 590A1 "Retrograde"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 590A1 "Retrograde" Login/Join 
posted
To my knowledge, this is the first 590A1 variant to come with a preinstalled heat shield. Although many of the standard 590's came with this feature. Anyone know differently?

https://www.mossberg.com/produ...a1-retrograde-51665/

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I installed a heat shield on mine, but it needed slight modification to fit the heavy barrel. I wonder if that is what they did here. I’m not aware of Mossberg selling a factory heat shield that fits the A1.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mossberg sells a factory heat shield to fit the 590A1 under part no. 16335P. When you order it from customer service, make sure you tell them that it's for the heavy-walled barrel. I ordered one a couple years ago for (IIRC) $45 shipped.

posted Hide Post
Looks like the average street price for these is in the $700 range.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I like the wood!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the interest of full disclosure, I just put one of these on layaway. I know - I'm a bad person, but I blame it on the allure of the walnut and it's evil partner heatshield.

posted Hide Post
Looks the part of a trench gun. Smile I think this is also one of the few times they've put the heat shield on a 590A1 model with ghost ring sights.

I'd have waited for this one, if I'd known it was on the way, but got a 590 Tri-rail with ghost rings several months ago.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I need no more shotgats, but, I still want this one. My very first gun was a 500 Persuader bought at Dick's because I needed it in a hurry and I wished I'd held out for a 590A1. This is what my first gun purchase should have been.

Ithaca has a nice M37 Trench repro out as well.

I don't need more gauges, damnit.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mossberg has also released a Model 500 Retro alongside the 590. It doesn't have the extended mag tube, though.

https://www.mossberg.com/produ...00-retrograde-50429/

posted Hide Post
Walnut furniture, heat shield, bayonet lug, Ghost Ring sights. heavy walled barrel...what's not to love?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
just needs a leather sling of OG cool

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
Dawes has it right. Part number for the 590a1 heat shield is 16335P. I’ve ordered it from Brownells in the past.

The heat shield combined with ghost ring sights is very unusual. The heat shield is installed on a bead sight barrel by removing the bead, sliding the heat shield on from the front and reinstalling the bead.

If I remember the US milspec shotgun details, the heavy barrel on the 590a1 makes the heat shield unnecessary.

Now if I could figure out how to shorten one professionally to install on my 14” 590a1.....

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I hope they sell the furniture separately eventually. I have an 18.5" 590A1 I put wood on a few years ago. Love it.

And last night as I was perusing Bud's I saw a 18.5" 590 model number 50778 going for $269....needless to say it went into my cart Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Looks kinda like my marinecote 590. I put hardwood and heat shield on it. Great shotgun.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I picked up mine last night, a little splotchy on the buttstock finish otherwise a nice A1, and considering a standard 590A1 is around $530 not a bad deal with the retro upgrades @ $660.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid 90's I carried a 590a1 with 20" barrel,
heat shield, and bayonet lug.
I wanted to buy myself one for the longest time, but only found versions with ghost rings, or speed feed stocks... never in the configuration I had.
I eventually did find one, 20" heavy barrel, heat shield, bead site, bayonet mount, standard stock. The only difference I could tell was the safety and trigger guard were plastic instead of metal, but I swapped them out myself.
Mossberg seems to be worse than Sig with all the different versions they make!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’d like to have this and a shockwave with wood.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
We can do better in the thread title than just listing the name of a weapon. Please be more specific as to why you posted the thread.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Want!

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post