SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Dilemma: Sako Finnbear Sporter missing action bolt. What to do?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dilemma: Sako Finnbear Sporter missing action bolt. What to do? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I have a good friend whose 1981 vintage Sako Finnbear Sporter in 7mm Mag is missing the bolt assembly to its action. Seems it was removed from the rifle as part of a household goods shipment process and then subsequently lost.

He continues to try to find a replacement but thus far no joy. Sako doesn't have one to sell him and they simply suggested the used market but nothing has ever shown up.

So first, does anyone have any idea where he might find one?

Second, what would you do with such a rifle with this situation?

Appreciate the help here. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pray for a miracle, he's pretty much out of luck. :-/

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Numrich or PTG?

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part it out.
Keep the receiver as a trot line weight / reminder not to loose the bolt.

If he found one it will be a crapshoot whether it headspaces or not anyway. They aren't "drop in".

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Years back there was a Sako collectors Assn. See if it still exists...drop them an e mail. One of those guys may have one.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
good luck with that! I can tell you there is many many bolt actions out there in need of a bolt. Years ago I used to help out a older gun smith/gun shop owner at gun shows. He had a lot of odds and ends gun parts from over the years. At the guns shows it seemed like 3 to 5 people a day would ask if he had a bolt for such and such rifle. They had a rifle or two or 3 with no bolt.

Far to many people remove the bolt and store it some where else in the house to "keep it safe" for kids in the house. Years go by people move can't find it again or die or wife throws out that junk in the drawer, down the road some one got a rifle with no bolt. I one case I know of wife threw out the bolts to 6 rifles.

"Second, what would you do with such a rifle with this situation?" might be able to part it out but mostly it is junk.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can check on the Sako Collectors Forum they may have something or know of a place to get one.

sakocollectors.com

The only love that money can buy is a dog

Posts: 176 | Location: Space Coast Florida | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Finnbear = AIII action. Bolts appear on eGhey all the time. Just keep watching there.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
Finnbear = AIII action. Bolts appear on eGhey all the time. Just keep watching there.

Hopefully he can find one there but don't forget that just because you find a bolt doesn't mean it will properly headspace to his barrel and action, Be sure and check it before firing!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not necessarily, my Finnbear in .30-06 is a L61R receiver.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
quote:

Not necessarily, my Finnbear in .30-06 is a L61R receiver.

I've picked up two L61R bolts on eGhey over the years. There was an AII bolt on there this morning. Just make sure you know what you need and keep watching. One will pop up.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm passing your comments along as we go.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with the Sako rifles or this shop, but you could try these guys. A couple bolts listed.

https://www.customshopinc.com/...ry/parts/sako-parts/

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post