SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do you like for a rifle case?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you like for a rifle case? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I ordered a Sig MCX Patrol. I need a hard case. This is what it will be stored in so it has to have good locks or good place for locks. I don't yet have a safe big enough for long guns. Thinking a 2 rifle case would be a good idea even though this will be my first long gun. I have a feeling, ya know, sort of like pistols seem to multiply.

Anyhow are the Plano cases crappy? I like that it's made in USA. Other choice I know if is Pelican.

Here's a couple options. I'd like to save money but rather spend once and cry once.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Vault-7...porting-goods&sr=1-2

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
For theft prevention a safe is the way to go. Failing that, a rifle case won't prevent a thief from taking it, all it will really do is satisfy any state or local requirements about "secure storage" or "keeping kids out of it". For that, a Plano case with a provision for a padlock is just as good as a Pelican, IMO.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Definitely not for theft prevention. A safe will be on the list. But this is for transport to meet our laws and for damage protection carting it to the range. I’d probably throw a few pistols in it going to the range also.

So basically looking for advice on quality differences.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Then I'd say the heavier Plano cases are fine for transport, but skip the lighter $25 ones.

Also, measure the trunk of your car (if you drive a pickup, not so much of a deal) to make sure it will hold the case you're considering. I made that mistake a few years ago when I bought a nice heavy duty transport case for one of my match rifles. When the day came to pack the car for the trip to the (out of state) match, the case didn't fit in the trunk. I had to stuff it through the passthrough hatch and still had to move the driver's seat forward to make room for it. It was not a comfortable drive.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Been looking for a case for my Scorpion carbine as well. Peak Cases look to be good quality and are a bit more expensive than the Plano but not sure the Peak is made in the USA I don't think it is. I'm kind of leaning towards a soft case anyhow. Lots of US made products out there for soft cases and for just transport to and from the range and protection in or out of the safe I think they perform just fine and aren't as clunky as a hard case.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I will probably go with the Plano for $90. Those Peak Cases look pretty cool but I don't see one for the MCX. The length isn't right on the generic AR model and my stock will be pinned due to commie state.

These go to eleven.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You shouldn’t store a gun in a case for any length of time, humidity in the air can get trapped in the case and right against the gun’s finish, plus there is no way for air to circulate for humidity to be absorbed by a desiccant.

Granted the air conditioned air in your home has very little humidity in it-there is some water.

/drift

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
You shouldn’t store a gun in a case for any length of time, humidity in the air can get trapped in the case and right against the gun’s finish, plus there is no way for air to circulate for humidity to be absorbed by a desiccant.

Granted the air conditioned air in your home has very little humidity in it-there is some water.

/drift

Then I guess a safe will be higher on the list of expenses.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
As to Plano cases: I bought a new air gun from Pyramid and in order to get it from their custom shop, it had to be shipped to me in a Plano case.
As soon as I went to open the Plano, all the latches fell off it.
I emailed Pyramid and they gave me a credit on my order, so its all good.
The Plano case is not good, though. Buy with caution.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I needed five rifle hard cases for my move from TX to VA. I ended up buying these for $115/each from Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...ong-black-64520.html

They are a little smaller than the US competition and made in China, but I could not justify the expense of five at. $200/each.

P.S. The cases were unloaded when my safe was delivered to my new home and now they reside in my attic untouched for 6 months. They did their job until my next move.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Been looking for a case for my Scorpion carbine as well. Peak Cases look to be good quality and are a bit more expensive than the Plano but not sure the Peak is made in the USA I don't think it is. I'm kind of leaning towards a soft case anyhow. Lots of US made products out there for soft cases and for just transport to and from the range and protection in or out of the safe I think they perform just fine and aren't as clunky as a hard case.

I'm a fan of the Peak cases, They are US made and you can order one of their standard cases or custom order, I think they used to have a lot of different standard designs on Gunbroker for AR, HK, AK, CZ Scorpion ... if you want to save a bit of coin, they also have blem cases ... which is what I ordered when I ordered a custom case for my 551 and 226 ... I had a couple different scopes in mind and they cut it for a long and left spacer pieces in. Now I wish I'd just had it cut for the short scope, but that could change next week. By the way, the Peak Case won't pass airline requirements. But they are a very nice case. I think this one was $160 or so and I couldn't find a blem anywhere, but that's what they charged me for.

I'm also a fan of this heavy Plano Case I found on Amazon, it was $50 less than what Academy wanted for the exact same case. The one I ordered was a 36" case which is more than sufficient for most 16" carbines.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the SKB iSeries Cases when a hard case is needed, and have a few. When I purchased, wanted a lower cost alternative to Pelican. I also MUCH prefer the wheels & latches on the SKB's as they require less effort to operate, and the handles are more comfortable than the Pelican as well. And, they're Made In the USA! Cool

It does seem however, that the pricing of the SKB's has increased a bit since I got mine and they're now a bit more on par with the Pelicans. Also, Pelican seems to have 'refined' their cases a bit and added the Vault Line for those that don't require a Mil-Spec Bombproof Case! They may have also taken some cost out (and possible margin as well) as other competitors offered similar products at a lower price point. All that said, I'd probably want a Pelican if I were flying as they seem to unparalleled in the robustness department! Wink

The SKB iSeries - Made in the USA

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips. I went with the Plano for $90. It will fit the bill for now and if I need better later I will drop some real money. For now I need all the cash I can for ammo and a red dot.

These go to eleven.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I'm a big fan of the SKB iSeries Cases when a hard case is needed, and have a few. When I purchased, wanted a lower cost alternative to Pelican. I also MUCH prefer the wheels & latches on the SKB's as they require less effort to operate, and the handles are more comfortable than the Pelican as well. And, they're Made In the USA! Cool

They are a great case for sure, I ran across 4 of the 54x15x6(i5 IIRC, its pretty big) at our State Surplus store a few years ago, for $60 each, only problem is the foam was cut for survey equipment. I didnt really need them but, bought them anyway, then found out how much the replacement foam is ... haven't done anything with them yet but one of these days a use will come along.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post