SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The parts shortages have progressed to bolt action barrels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The parts shortages have progressed to bolt action barrels Login/Join 
posted
Last week Frank Green of Bartlein Barrels posted on Snipers Hide that Bartlein is really struggling with barrel demand, production, and lead times. Evidently, in some instances the lead times can be as long as 10-12 months, depending on barrel type. Yikes. It's no secret that AR barrels have been hard to find for a long time, but I didn't think the issues had progressed to bolt action barrels.

Around the time of Christmas, I decided to move forward with a 6mm Creedmoor bolt action build. At that time barrel options were quite good, however just for grins I ordered two 6mm blanks. I considered picking up another 6.5mm blank, but decided to wait. The inventory for 6.5mm M24 profile Bartleins at Bugholes was quite good.

I have no idea if it's just or coincidence or the result of Frank Green's post, but Bugholes is out of stock for a slew of 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, and even some 30-cal barrel blank contours. Not just Bartlein, but the other high-end barrel makers, too. Right now I'd be S.O.L. if I wanted a 6mm barrel of my preferred M24 contour. And similar contours, too. Barrel inventory at Bugholes was really pretty good a couple of weeks ago.

I finally found a Bartlein 6.5mm M24 blank last night and ordered it. Most other profiles were out of stock. Hopefully this one is actually in stock. I expect I'll find out on Tuesday -- if it ships or is backordered.

Which got me thinking that I don't have a replacement barrel for my new 223 bolt action. I won't need one for awhile, but.... So I found one this morning and ordered it. My preferred brand, profile, twist rate, and length was quite challenging to find. Again, I'll know more on Tuesday.

Just an FYI for anyone considering a new bolt action barrel. Over the past few months I've spent a bunch of time searching for good ammo deals. I put barrels on the back burner and I shouldn't have.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that I anticipate ordering any barrels, but thanks for that update on the status of things.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I sent a Savage Striker handgun into Mcgowen for a new 15" bull 22LR barrel(change from a 10"), they did not mention anything about a long wait. Guess I will find out.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I saw that post. I was wanting to rebarrel my Tikka but maybe next year? Maybe reloading supplies will show up by then too?

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not all barrel calibers, twists, profiles, and brands are sold out. The biggest challenges appear to be with barrels catering to competitive shooters -- medium- to heavy-profile barrels with 6mm to .30-cal bores. The folks who regularly shoot out and replace barrels.

A little flexibility in barrel configuration can go a long ways in obtaining a replacement.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good news is that the barrels I ordered were in stock. Good thing I didn't order from someone like Optics Planet. Wink

The 223 barrel from Proof arrived. It's purdy. The Bartlein 6.5 barrel was shipped and I have a UPS tracking number. But there's this winter storm of sorts that's messed up trucking...