SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle to keep in RV.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle to keep in RV. Login/Join 
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted
We downsized the RV so we can go deeper into the woods. I am looking for an all round sort of rifle like a 308 Scout. No around here carries the Ruger, Savage, or Mossberg Scout rifles so I cant handle them. I would have to order one. Anyone have experience with these?

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be a bolt rifle?

There are a number of good options for semiauto .308s, which would likely be a better "all around" rifle than a bolt gun.

For example, a quality .308 AR can do everything a .308 Scout rifle does, and more.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know exactly if you are set on scout concept or not, but the Ruger American's are handy. I have the ranch version that takes AR mags in .300 Blackout and I like it a lot. I put a Dead Air brake on it and I keep my Sandman K on it all the time, loaded mag, in the safe ready to go in case I need to thump a coyote out in the pasture in the night.
https://ruger.com/products/ame...fleRanch/models.html

They (Ruger) have a .308 one out now that takes AI style mags and has full length scope rail that looks very interesting for an all around .308

https://ruger.com/products/ame...pecSheets/26926.html

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can speak for myself only.

I have a Remington Model Seven Laminate on the way in .243 for Central Texas Deer. I was the only one to bid on it in Gunbroker and got a deal.

They are available in

.243 Win
.260 Rem
7-08
300 Blackout

They are available in several models.

https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=Remington+Model+Seven

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d want a lower cost rifle too. Rather the $400 rifle go missing, than the $2000 rifle. Of course much depends on location & intentions.

I read an article a while back touting the benefits of a Ruger 10/22 as an all around rifle, fun, survival, defense. I will say, much was agreeable.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Do not discount a used lever action in 30-30 or 35 Rem. They are in your budget.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
What is the main purpose/purposes you have in mind? Hunting? Target? Self defense? I’d offer an additional alternative of a nice used Browning BLR .308. Plenty accurate, mag fed, slick action for fast follow up shots. There are bargains out there for the patient shopper.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
If you dont need .308 range, you really cant beat a lever gun for a handy all purpose (inexpensive) rifle.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I needed a rifle to go on a hunt with recently and I wanted a Scout. That seemed like a good enough reason to buy one. I bought a Mossberg Scout in .308 with the Vortex scope included. It doesn't seem quite as heavily built as my buddy's Ruger, but it handles and functions wonderfully. After about 100 rounds, I'm very happy with it.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too vote for a lever gun. With a little tweaking, they are excellent all purpose rifles.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I do not own a Scout Rifle but I have Shot A friends Ruger with a Leupold on it. at the Range it hit where I was aiming at 150 yards,

Posts: 1601 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Scout but my favorite knock about is a CZ527 in 7.62x39.

Posts: 458 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not really into the scout rifles, so I'd pick whatever cheap 308 bolt I could find at a local gunshop. As other have pointed out a lever action 30-30 would make a good cheap camper gun. So would an SKS for that matter.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Ruger mini 30 or lever gun. I have a scout and love it but wouldn’t be my first choice.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
What is the main purpose/purposes you have in mind? Hunting? Target? Self defense?....

Without this question answered we are just pissing in the dark.

Also, do you have any intentions of going into Canada? We bought a 12 gauge pump action shotgun for this very reason...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have a Mossberg MVP patrol rifle in 5.56. It uses the AR-15 magazines. It is a fun bolt action, small enough for a truck gun. Happy with it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Unless your dead set on a bolt action, why not a AR-10 or lever action (Marlin 1894?)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
With no intended purpose stated I have to assume your looking for a all around long gun.
If I could only have one long gun, it would be a 12 gauge shotgun.
Easy to change ammo to serve many different roles.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One advantage to mag fed as opposed to fixed mag or lever action tube mag. Depending on where you travel some states do not allow a loaded long gun in a vehicle- with a detachable mag you can load it when parked and easily unload prior to movement. If a sudden need arises for the rifle going from unloaded to loaded is much easier with a detachable magazine gun.
Again just in case you inadvertently cross into “ enemy territory “ California New York etc, a manually operated gun halls you avoid all the vague unconstitutional laws common in those areas

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Don't know exactly if you are set on scout concept or not, but the Ruger American's are handy. I have the ranch version that takes AR mags in .300 Blackout and I like it a lot. I put a Dead Air brake on it and I keep my Sandman K on it all the time, loaded mag, in the safe ready to go in case I need to thump a coyote out in the pasture in the night.
https://ruger.com/products/ame...fleRanch/models.html

They (Ruger) have a .308 one out now that takes AI style mags and has full length scope rail that looks very interesting for an all around .308

https://ruger.com/products/ame...pecSheets/26926.html

The addition of an AI mag fed Ruger American is very appealing to me. Thanks for posting.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post