SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    HA! Now I Want To Tell People I Did This On Purpose. Air Rifle Target
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HA! Now I Want To Tell People I Did This On Purpose. Air Rifle Target Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I was shooting some air rifle tonight and my target came out a bit like a "smiley / Oh Face". At some point I am totally gonna have to say to somebody I did it on purpose. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I need to look into this air rifle thing. I have some feral cats living under my three season house that need to be dispatched. Discharging a firearm in the neighborhood will be frowned upon.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Nice Big Grin

Weihrauch?

Regardless, it is far superior to the Daisy 880 I recently took out of the corner where forgotten things go. Airguns are just the coolest sometimes.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What peep sight do you have on your Hw30? Thanks.

Posts: 160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I need to look into this air rifle thing. I have some feral cats living under my three season house that need to be dispatched. Discharging a firearm in the neighborhood will be frowned upon.

I have a Ruger air rifle and it is significantly louder than my 10/22 shooting sub-Sonics. Just an FYI.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
What peep sight do you have on your Hw30? Thanks.

It’s an Airforce adaptive rear sight. Very robust and works fairly well on several of my Weihrauchs. It does need to be pretty much bottomed out though.

quote:
Nice Big Grin

Weihrauch?

Yes, it’s an HW30S .22. I have a few HW30’s and they are absolute joy’s to shoot. Far nicer then a great deal of .22LR rifles.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a Ruger air rifle and it is significantly louder than my 10/22 shooting sub-Sonics. Just an FYI.

A bolt action .22LR running colibri type ammo is absolutely quieter then any fairly powerful air rifle.

Also, just a suggestion about the cats, which I HATE BTW, maybe trap them and relocate or bring them to the pound. Besides I am sure they are doing their fair share of pesting for you. An air rifle is likely to cause them great suffering IMO.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I concur about the Ruger. I was not expecting that loud of a report. I was using cleaning pellets and fired it outside around midnight. Once was enough of that. Probably as loud as most of my .22's.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on the amount of noise generated by these things. I've tried to trap them they are to wiley for that. I still have mice frequenting the garage so I don't know how much miceing they are doing. I do have a Ruger Charger .22 that would be perfectly suited for the job. Maybe if I catch them outside during the day when most neighbors are gone working I can safely dispatch them. Thats the problem is catching them outside. The first noise of a door opening on the house and they are in the woods in a split second.

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
That would be a neat image to use for your avatar.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see you didn't like him smiling at you, so you put one to the forehead. Big Grin

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thats the problem is catching them outside. The first noise of a door opening on the house and they are in the woods in a split second

Whatever you do do it humanely. Sorry I just sort of shy sway from harming anything that ever had a mom unless absolutely necessary. Except spiders....spiders should be cleansed with holy fire!
!!!! Smile

quote:
That would be a neat image to use for your avatar.

That’s actually kind of a cool idea.

quote:
I see you didn't like him smiling at you, so you put one to the forehead.

Actually that one is spall from the trap. My traps get used pretty heavily and cleaned out very rarely so there are sections that are basically walls of solid fused lead so I get a fair bit of spall/blowback now and then.

The big glob of lead is right about where the "mouth" was. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Nope no worries whatever I do will be done humanely as possible. As I got older I found it harder to hunt and finally just stopped. Even fishing I release nearly everything I catch.

posted Hide Post
I've killed a number of feral cats over the years with airguns. A 22 or even 177 pellet from a high powered airgun to the head makes dispatches them fairly quickly.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

I have a Diana 34 and so is mine. Mine sounds like a 22LR.

And it's just a likely that a feral cat is killing song birds as it is killing mice. Humanely killing or removing a feral cat does everything in the woods a favor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If you have a dog, be careful to police up all spent pellets that may fall from an overloaded pellet trap.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find some .22 Long ammo. Not Long Rifle. You will be impressed with how quiet it is. It does not feed well from a mag into my CZ, but being a little shorter than the Long Rifle cartridge, it is probably like that for many rifles. Still, single feed it and it is fine

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCI makes a " Quiet .22 " ammo . That's what it says on the label . Pretty damn quiet out of my CZ bolt action .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
So I spent a full day researching pellet rifles. Aside from cost of pellets vs .22 and legalities in some areas, what advantages are there over a .22lr?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
CCI makes a " Quiet .22 " ammo . That's what it says on the label . Pretty damn quiet out of my CZ bolt action .

This is what I use in my 522 with the Spikes Buckwheat 22lr suppressor, all you hear is the bolt drop and the impact into the target.

Air rifle I had was much louder than the 22lr with CCI Quiet. Now the legality of shooting 22lr over an air rifle would need to be researched for your location...

We have a lot of Owls and Hawks in the area which clear out tree rats and ferel cats...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post