SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any Love for th 556XI?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Love for th 556XI? Login/Join 
Picture of Dump1567
posted
I've been out looking for other than AR type rifle recently (I've got plenty of those). I came across this XI for $1150 in a local Pawn shop and picked it up. Seems to be in excellent condition, but I haven't fired it yet.

How's the accuracy on these? Any issues?
Thanks.

(I added the optic).

Watch & Pray

Posts: 726 | Registered: June 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They’re OK, I guess. $1150 seems a bit high for a used one without the optic and mount, or at least it was in pre-pandemic/pre-election-panic times. Hope you like it as is and nothing breaks since you really can’t change much on it because it’s pretty proprietary, and it’s also discontinued, so there aren’t many spare parts available. I have a 7.62x39 Sig 556xi that sits in the safe mostly. It runs OK using more recent production ammo (has jams with 80’s Norinco ammo), but just doesn’t do much for me. Mainly got it for something other than an AK in that caliber.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
They're bringing more than that on the auction sites right now, you did OK

I have the XI Russian in 7.62x39, not as accurate as my AR's, but better than most AK's

One of my favorite guns to shoot.
Sig discontinued them , lack of parts...blah blah blah
The naysayers will say all kinds of stuff, but that's a nice rifle.

There were some early QC issues, but mines been 100%.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yep, you paid more than its worth but less than what people are asking for them. You did okay and they are good guns. Mine is a great and accurate rifle. People think they are rare and demand higher prices for them but I have always thought they were worth less because of the limited access to parts.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dump1567
posted Hide Post
My check of GB shows they were going for about what I paid or more, so I don't feel like I did too bad. I bought this just to have as something different. I had a 556, 556R, 556 Pistol, & 551A1 in the past. All of them worked without issue.

I'll probably go shoot this next week.

Watch & Pray

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dump1567:
My check of GB shows they were going for about what I paid or more, so I don't feel like I did too bad. I bought this just to have as something different. I had a 556, 556R, 556 Pistol, & 551A1 in the past. All of them worked without issue.

I'll probably go shoot this next week.
Its a good gun. Im sure you will enjoy it.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
A friend bought one through the Sig auction. Got it at a great price. It's a real tack driver. But the M400 caused it to fall by the wayside.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. I much prefer the Sig 556 line to DI ARs.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I really liked the look. I almost bought one when they clearanced the remaining stock. But I am glad I didnt. No support if something breaks and no aftermarket parts.

It could last for decades but if it doesnt you have an expensive paperweight

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dump1567
posted Hide Post
Aren't the internals just 550 series parts (Except the gas regulator)?

Watch & Pray

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
They're bringing more than that on the auction sites right now, you did OK

I have the XI Russian in 7.62x39, not as accurate as my AR's, but better than most AK's

One of my favorite guns to shoot.
Sig discontinued them , lack of parts...blah blah blah
The naysayers will say all kinds of stuff, but that's a nice rifle.

There were some early QC issues, but mines been 100%.

My comments mirror ElKabong's only mine is a P556Xi 762 SBR

It only functions reliably with polymer mags

I've also bought Xi lowers for my P556 SBR & P553, I like the larger trigger guard, ambidextrous controls & the logo on the mag-well is a nice touch that should have been on the 556 all along, (edited) because I found a picture of with the logo facing out ...

My favorite P556-SBR is an 2009 model that has seen many configurations over the years ... I seem to keep changing the hand-guard from typical plastic to the quad rail, and it currently has the collapsing MPX stock on it but I have a side-folder for it as well. I originally bought the the ACOG NSN for an AR but just never liked it, and ever since I bought this P556 it's the first and only thing I've really liked on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have the 556xi Classic pistol, 10.5" barrel.

I actually like it a lot, shoots well, extremely reliable. I like the 556xi action, kind of a cross between the AK and AR platforms. But loud as hell with the muzzle brake. I also took the Sig brace off it for now, the old brace system is kinda clunky.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post