SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Grouping expectation for slug gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grouping expectation for slug gun Login/Join 
posted
I have a 20 yr old Mossberg 500 with the Mossberg cantilever mount rifled barrel and cheapy 2.5x fixed scope. Im shooting Federal Fusion sabot slugs.

I had about a 3in spread at 50 yards shooting off a makeshift rest.

I know some of it was shooter related but is this an acceptable group? This will be a deer slug gun out to maybe 75 yrds.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Never had a slug[old remington type] group worth a shit.
Now the winchester sabot slug type are dinner plate at a hundred with my old winchester.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried any other loads?

I would think you should be able to slightly better than that if you can work out the best combo.

You mention the scope is a 'cheapy' so that makes me wonder some more. Also - is it securely mounted?

Even if that is the best you ever achieve - I bet it gets the job done when you employ it in the field.

=================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried them (I use rifles for hunting) but someone who has told me that the Hornady FTX Slug grouped great for them.
If you're limited to shotguns due to laws, it might be worth a try.

As Sig209 said, Even if that is the best you ever achieve - I bet it gets the job done when you employ it in the field.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Rifled barrel or smooth? Sabots and smooth bores generally don't play well together.

If you're trying to shoot groups with a slug gun (even though it may not be realistic to follow up shots while hunting) the secret is to shoot r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y.
Like a minimum of five minutes between shots. No joke.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I think the accuracy you are seeing is a bit low for a rifled barrel and sabot load. That's about what I see from my 18.5" smooth bore IC barrel with iron sights. I recently shot some 1 oz Remington Sluggers and Remington 1 oz Managed recoil rifled slugs and saw 2" groups with the high power load and 1.5" with the Managed Recoil loads. This was at 30 yards. Rifled barrels with the newfangled sabot loads are said to much more accurate. As suggested, you might check your scope to see if it isn't wandering on you.

BTW, even those so called reduced power loads are like shooting an elephant gun. Not something you want to do all afternoon for sure.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me that would be completely acceptable. I'd maybe shoot some other ammo to see if its better but that's good enough for the job at hand.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to minimize experimenting with different rounds. The federal fusions are already $2 a shot. Im $30 in just trying to get it dailed in to this point. I picked because they were available locally. I dont have much of a sabot selection around here.

Im sure there are so adjustments I could make to the scope. The scope is the one included with the cantilever barrel package. It doesnt even have a brand label.

The more I think of it, I really dont want to invest much more into the slug gun. I think its going to be good enough for my purpose.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can reliably hit a 6 inch paper plate at 50 yards with a smooth bore 870 and Federal Tru-Ball. I would try to fine tune the adjustments on your scope a little bit to improve accuracy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I was getting about 2.5in out of my Abolt II at 100 yards. Only tried 1 load. That avg was acceptable to me so I didnt care to spend a fortune in ammo hoping to squeeze another inch out of it. I wouldnt shoot it past 150 anyways.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post