SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mechanical rest for shooting from a bench. Suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechanical rest for shooting from a bench. Suggestions? Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
A lot of my shooting these days is done from a solid wood bench. Ive decided I want something nicer than the old sandbags Ive been using.

I have zero intention to compete in any form but I want a legitimate rest to use. Protektor makes a nice looking rest and with front and rear bags it will run around $300 and its made in the USA.

Are there any others I should be looking at?

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat old home made sand bags,to reduce weight on mine I filled with used cleaning media.
I had a milk create full when I went to public outdoor range.
I also had one of the fancy cast iron heavy pos with all the wheels ,slides and adjustments.
That was a waste of a hundred and fifty bucks.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If you mean one of these sorts of things:

I don't love them.

I usually shoot off a bipod now, but otherwise the front rest I like the best (at least for stationary shooting off a bench at a range) out of those I have used is the "Bull's Bag" sandbag. It's basically four long skinny sandbags connected lengthwise in an X shape.

The height is easily adjustable by squishing the bottom two sections together/apart and how tightly it holds the rifle is easily adjustable by squishing the top two sections together/apart.

They're very stable.

quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Hard to beat old home made sand bags,to reduce weight on mine I filled with used cleaning media.

People go both ways, some people fill their sandbags with zircon or chromite "heavy sand" (about twice as heavy as silica playground sand) or even #12 lead shot (maybe 5 times as heavy as playground sand) to make them even heavier.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
All I do is bench rest.
Love the rest, made shooting much more of a test in ammo, gun performance not so much of me to screw it up.
I started with a
BR rock that had a windage wheel. Then a Randolf. Now a joystick farley.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too like the Bulls Bag.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
All I do is bench rest.
Love the rest, made shooting much more of a test in ammo, gun performance not so much of me to screw it up.
I started with a
BR rock that had a windage wheel. Then a Randolf. Now a joystick farley.

That Farley looks like quite the piece of kit. That price tag though. Smile

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at something like the Caldwell Rock Front Shooting Rest and Rear Bag Combo from Midway?
For around $85 they are not a bad deal for something you can shoot some really small groups with.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...015057639?pid=852713

Posts: 2678 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Benchmaster

Started using one of these in the 90s and if I ever go to the range again I'll be bringing it along.

Adding some cheap sandbags for weight on the front legs makes shooting magnums very tolerable btw.

Or for that, you could go with:

lead sled

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I bought a Lyman Match Shooting Bag & Bag Jack Combo Kit. You place the bag of your choice atop the scissors lift (I bought the combo, with Lyman's bag), then adjust the height to suit. Worked beautifully for sighting-in my AR, because I could elevate the rest to a height that would allow me to get the same cheek weld I would standing, sitting on the ground, etc., from a bench rest position.

Add a rear bag rest and you're set.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an automobile scissor jack. I put a piece of a pool noodle on top to rest my rifle. It is screwed into a piece of plywood for stability. Raise or lower to appropriate height.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I use a lead sled.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the all the input. I ended up going with a Sinclair Heavy Varmint rest with right hand windage and a Edgewood rear bag.