SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Have you shot your shotgun(s) recently?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you shot your shotgun(s) recently? Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Yep...at least twice a month with CAS plus maybe a couple of rounds of skeet or wobble from time to time at my local range...

Looking forward to shooting with Rolan a week from tomorrow at the Lead Mine Valley Shootout Smile...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Yep...at least twice a month with CAS plus maybe a couple of rounds of skeet or wobble from time to time at my local range...

Looking forward to shooting with Rolan a week from tomorrow at the Lead Mine Valley Shootout Smile...

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qyJ0-chZpC0" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Cowboy, 1880s 3-Gun! Looks like fun!!!

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I used to love shooting shotguns until I started shooting ARs. However, when I'm in the woods, I still love a shotgun because of its versatility and I can shoot in any direct with worrying about killing someone in the next county.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I used to love shooting shotguns until I started shooting ARs. However, when I'm in the woods, I still love a shotgun because of its versatility and I can shoot in any direct with worrying about killing someone in the next county.

True regarding birdshot.

I have seen the after effects of a 12 gauge deer slug that bounced off the ground and traveled several hundred more yards before hitting a front door of a house.

It was my house. The hollow point of the slug was packed full of dirt.

40 or 50 grain bullets of varmint construction like the V-Max will generally fragment into pieces small enough that they will not retain sufficient energy to overcome aerodynamic drag and are quickly on the ground.

I'm sure a full metal jacket bullet, especially 30 caliber and larger, is a ricochet hazard.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Will do so today. Waterfowl hunting is coming soon and it's long past time to get my Vinci out for some warm ups, especially now that the state's outdoor shooting ban has been lifted.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I put some slugs through my Versa Max Tactical for the first time. It was also the first time I have ever fired slugs. I was surprised on how soft the recoil was.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I hadn't in months, but this morning I put 100 rounds downrange, and was reminded again of how fun shotguns are, and how the recoil isn't as significant as most would imagine, and mine is just a basic 870 with the Magpul plastic, a +2 tube, and factory barrel cut to 18.5".

I put a mix of 100 slugs and reduced-recoil slugs of about six varieties into a pail and filled tube after tube in my 870 until they were gone. I killed the shit out of a standard paper plate stapled to a fallen tree, Minute-of-Pieplate confirmed at 7-21 steps, in about 30mins.

I hope I never have a reason other than fun to shoot 100 12ga slugs in 30min, but if the situation arises I'm as confident as ever that me and my gear will work just fine. My love for ARs and their high-capacity, low-recoil, compactness makes the 12ga easy to forget.

But it's still a fun and useful type of firearm, and is a unique experience - feel wise. If it's been a while since you've fired a few rounds or more through a shotgun, you might want to drag it out and do so. My brief session this morning was tons of fun.

Yes. Very fun. Recoil is not really notable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_dEAiNCrkk

Posts: 1372 | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:

Funny you should mention it, shot my Benelli M4 yesterday....

Same here, fired some reduced recoil Rio 00 thru one of my two 870s yesterday. I try to shoot them every three or four months.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
My club is thinking about introducing the shotgun into our steel matches next year, so I though I would build a new one.

I already have a few conventional pump guns, including a couple of 870's.

Since we do a lot of fun stuff at our steel shoots, including trying to come up with strange guns to shoot the events with, I decided to go with an 870DM and dress it up.

Last month I finished the build and sighted it in with slugs from the bench. It's rearrange-your-dental-work brutal from the bench but not bad at all when standing up.
Its a pussycat with birdshot and quite reasonable with buckshot.

Given Remington's reputation lately, I was surprised at how smooth the action was. I had no failures to feed, fire or eject while going through about 100 rounds of mixed ammo.

I had the limbsaver pad on for the bench. I wont be using it otherwise.
I also need to find an 18" removeable choke barrel instead of the 20 incher that I have on there.
The Bushnell red dot is just a place holder till I can come up with something better.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Mossberg jungle gun that's been sitting in the safe for years. I think its time to take it to the range.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post