SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Have you shot your shotgun(s) recently?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you shot your shotgun(s) recently? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
I hadn't in months, but this morning I put 100 rounds downrange, and was reminded again of how fun shotguns are, and how the recoil isn't as significant as most would imagine, and mine is just a basic 870 with the Magpul plastic, a +2 tube, and factory barrel cut to 18.5".

I put a mix of 100 slugs and reduced-recoil slugs of about six varieties into a pail and filled tube after tube in my 870 until they were gone. I killed the shit out of a standard paper plate stapled to a fallen tree, Minute-of-Pieplate confirmed at 7-21 steps, in about 30mins.

I hope I never have a reason other than fun to shoot 100 12ga slugs in 30min, but if the situation arises I'm as confident as ever that me and my gear will work just fine. My love for ARs and their high-capacity, low-recoil, compactness makes the 12ga easy to forget.

But it's still a fun and useful type of firearm, and is a unique experience - feel wise. If it's been a while since you've fired a few rounds or more through a shotgun, you might want to drag it out and do so. My brief session this morning was tons of fun.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nothing. I have a 590A1 SBS that I haven't shot in oh, 5 years (?) and a new 590 that came decked with Magpul parts from the factory when Buds was blowing them out for $330. I think I got it 2 years ago and its been in the safe the whole time.

The SBS is legit 5+1 with Federal Flight Control OO Buck but it's not in the top 10 things I would ever grab unless legislatively shotguns were easier to use.

Maybe I'll drag them out when the weather finally turns. From May - Sept/Oct, all my range visits are early morning and very direct to the point - either training with a CCW handgun or zeroing 1-2 weapons in under an hour. No time to dilly daly in the heat / humidity of the south.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We killed a whole box of clays back in January, was the first outing in a long time with my Browning BPS.

We were running out of clays faster than ammo, so we started trying to double on each clay, shooting in pairs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot couple boxes through my 590 shockwave couple weeks ago.
You are right, shotguns are a blast at the range!

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
yes

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i agree

whenever I hear someone use recoil as the basis of AR vs shotgun for HD I am pretty 'WTF ?'

love my Benelli M1

there is no substitute

--------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Just last weekend! Click the picture to get the video.

Rolan Kraps 10 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I do a shotgun match every July (do as in match director, designer, builder) so I did a fair bit in July. Despite having two dedicated "race guns", I used one of my turkey guns. I have some that see use throughout the year. Some every couple years. Some I haven't shot in decades and at least two I've never fired.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Yep, shot several cases of skeet with the boys shooting my SBE3. Getting ready for teal and dove hunting.

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think its been about a year. I love my 1897 but havent done much with it in a bit. I do admit shotguns arent really my thing outside of historical or novelty designs.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Benelli M2 tactical impresses me every time I shoot it, with me wondering why the hell I always choose an AR15 over it.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Not in a very long time, the last time being trap with my Winchester Super X1.

Since that time I had shoulder surgery and although I'm healed, I feel very apprehensive to go shotgunning.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention it, shot my Benelli M4 yesterday. 00 buck is nothing through that gun, it is a beast. While I do not shoot it often I cannot see parting with it anytime soon.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Not in a few years.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samnev:
Not in a few years.

Ditto ... in fact I bought one walking around at a gun show last year just because I couldn't pass it up ... and I haven't shot it yet either.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My shotgun is a featherlight Ithaca 37 12ga, old wood stock with a plastic butt plate. Recoil in a t-shirt is not enjoyable and thus it hasn't been shot in several years. I honestly don't have much use for shotguns as I am not a hunter.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Define recently? If you mean in the last decade, then yes. Our gun club doesn’t allow any shotgun shooting in any of our bays. Unless you want to shoot trap, you’re out of luck.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
My dad and I went in together on a DryFire shotgun system, I shoot a full round of skeet and other clays every day I have it in my basement! Live fire however, last shot was on quail last year.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:
Define recently? If you mean in the last decade, then yes. Our gun club doesn’t allow any shotgun shooting in any of our bays. Unless you want to shoot trap, you’re out of luck.

that's one reason I was fond of my last gun range - they had several 'shooting pits' - surrounded by high berms on three sides - you could pretty much shoot whatever / however you wanted as long as it was safe

I would fire 50-75 rds for practice with my HD shotguns numerous times per year at the end of my handgun / rifle range sessions

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot 50 rounds of Trap with my 20 gage O/U and 50 with my 12 gage BPS. BTW the Browning has a 30 inch barrel so it's a great Trap gun, just wish it had the Trap Cutoff.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post