SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Late to the AR15 party
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Late to the AR15 party Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
So, it would appear I'm warming up to AR15s as everyone else is going to AR pistols and braces. I don't see a lot for sale locally (for a reasonable price) so when I saw a PSA "freedom" rifle kit on sale for $200 off and couldn't resist. I'm thinking I will be able to find a stripped lower easier than a full rifle.

I guess it's never too late but someday it could be.

I didn't know a lot about them but it's been a fun last few days reading and researching. Interesting that it can be the least expensive rifle you have but also the most expensive. really trying to keep to the former.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
This is one of those cases where you go to every "big box" online retailer you've ever heard of, and keep an eye out for deals. PSA is good, but there are some good buys out there on S&Ws, Rugers, Stags and lower-end Armalites (Eagle Arms) among others.

The market's a bit bifurcated - there are some solid options out there for not a whole lot of money, but a lot of manufacturers (NOT just LMT, BCM, DD, et al.) are doing their level best to stay above a certain price point.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
There's about 10 million on Armslist. Did you check there? Market is soft, prices are down due to over-saturation.

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
If you want a budget rifle that will most likely cover 99% of most people’s needs, then a PSA is a good product for the money. Personally, I have a PSA 10.5” and it’s great overall for the price. If I was looking again at 16” set ups I’d look at the Smith and Wesson M and P sport II. They are actually great rifles for the money (usually around $550-$650), and some even use them for duty.

On the other end of the spectrum is BCM, DD, LWRC, etc, to name a few. Prolly looking at over $1100 for a higher end, with many upwards of $1800-2K and above depending on options, add ons, triggers, etc.

It a a great time to buy and the sky is the limit now. I thought of picking up a nice Colt M4 about a month back just to have, it was around 1K, pretty decent considering they can go way up when you look back at when Zippy was in office.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I too was a little late to the “party”...I bought my first AR15 about 2 1/2 years ago (a Ruger AR15) since then I have built two with PSA uppers and lower kits and two from “scratch” using locally purchased lowers and everything else (stripped uppers, barrels, parts kits, etc) ordered via the internet...PSA for me has been GTG...
This being said, check out the various online distributors such as Bud’s for their sales for complete rifles (free shipping and no sales tax... I just pay it at the end of the year when I file here in TN...just add the FFL transfer and background check fee)...they have never been less expensive and I would be surprised if they would be ever...

I’ve been very pleased with the Ruger for a complete rifle...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...ld_30r_blksyn?cpath=

The S&W MP AR15 are GTG also (my brother has one)...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...rt_ii_kit_556?cpath=

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I too, just joined the party. On Thursday I purchased my first, a Core15 Scout M4. They are manufactured here in Ocala Florida. They have an outstanding warranty, and from what I read, the customer service is excellent.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
If you are “late to the party” as I was...buy magazines and .556/.223 ammo on the various and sundry websites offering such Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^indeed, it has been a Brownells, SGammo, and PSA week.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
This is the time to buy.

For a lot of things, prices can't get much lower.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, it is a great time to buy any firearms, especially the tactical type ones like, AR'S, AK'S, Hi-cap pistols and Hi-cap mags, and ammo. **But, are you committed to keeping them** when or if the politicians pass a no possession ban of these weapons in the future and try to but the fear of God into you with fines and jail time. Will you bend over for them and go limp like a wet rag and comply or will you be in the sea of people trying to flip your guns, mags and ammo. It will go like this: assault type rifles first, then assualt type weapons( hi-cap pistols and assault shotguns), then your bolt action sniper rifles, huge tax on ammo and reloading components which includes black powder and you will probably need some some type of card or liscense to get it, special liability insurance, can't legally pass any firearms on to members of you family. And don't think they will let you wheel gun boys alone, as they will get to them too at some point They have a step by step plan to divide and conquer. Where will you draw the line? Vote Trump and Republican in 2020 !!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Now is the time to buy cheap and stack deep.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
I too, just joined the party. On Thursday I purchased my first, a Core15 Scout M4. They are manufactured here in Ocala Florida. They have an outstanding warranty, and from what I read, the customer service is excellent.

I’d like to add, I already own Sig 556, so I have plenty of magazines and ammunition. One of the major reasons I opted for an M4 is I found the Sig 556 a bit front heavy and was looking for something a bit lighter.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My advice, since you need a stripped lower anyway and have to do the whole background check etc. dont buy 1, get at least 3. They can be had for as little as $40 ea.

They dont take up any space and you can slowly build others just by ordering parts. Stock up on magazines as well, you can often get aluminum mags with magpul followers for $8 ea or less.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Now is a great time to buy, and the PSA kits are a tremendously good value.

Find a lower locally, order the kit of your choice. Federal is running a rebate right now and you can get a whole case of 5.56 for about $250 shipped. They also have some deals for a case of ammo and 10 PMAGS.

You can get an entire AR-15, 10 mags, a Sig red dot, and 1000 rounds of ammunition for less than the price of a Colt 6920 from a few years ago.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Didn't really have a need for a PSA pistol kit but I couldn't resist. Maybe the Gray will be good for a paint project.

FYI, received the rifle kit, great trigger, a little play on the Anderson lower but looks good. Ordered a carry handle rear sight for the look.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...gray-5165448935.html

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
My advice, since you need a stripped lower anyway and have to do the whole background check etc. dont buy 1, get at least 3. They can be had for as little as $40 ea.

They dont take up any space and you can slowly build others just by ordering parts. Stock up on magazines as well, you can often get aluminum mags with magpul followers for $8 ea or less.

This is very wise advise. I did that in NY right before the "Safe Act" and it made life easier.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
So, it would appear I'm warming up to AR15s...

In some respects, anyone who didn't own AR15s prior to 1994 was late to the party.

This is definitely a good time to buy firearms-related items. Shop around, don't panic, but act when the price is right.

Few people who frequent gun forums will limit their AR-15 ownership to just one rifle/carbine/pistol/SBR. So understand that going in. Assuming you end up owning multiple ARs down the road, I recommend your concentrating on a smaller number of purpose-built models, rather than a herd of relatively similar models with parts acquired at random as sales occur.

My best ARs -- or I probably should say my favorite ARs -- are the ones that were purpose built/purchased from the get go. A couple of them took more than 2 years from the I'm-gonna-do-it moment to the first rounds down range. YMMV, but I see the best shooters are those who wear out barrels, not those with a herd of ARs collecting dust in their safe(s).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fritz,

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
For anyone just dipping their foot in the pool, the PSA freedom kits/parts/complete rifles are the perfect way to scratch that itch for cheap. Yes, they occasionally have some minor issues but their warranty is rock solid. For the price and volume they’re cranking out I can’t believe there aren’t more issues. Be warned though: They breed like rabbits. One becomes 3-20 in a short time.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The pistol kit came in today. I'm waiting for a romeo5 to arrive. I imagine PSA will be selling quite a few in the days to come. Adult Barbies for sure.