SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Stupid Question: Are 45° Offset BUIS reversible?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid Question: Are 45° Offset BUIS reversible? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
As the title states, I am considering using Stupid Question: Are 45° Offset BUIS on my incoming Steyr AUG. But with the Right hand ejection on the bullpup stock, Hot brass would be leaving the rifle right into my face.

So I thought, hey, how about putting them on the left side? Most of the Offset BUIS I see look as though they are setup for right hand use. Are they typically "reversible"?

Also, how would you zero a red dot with a set?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
could you get 45* offset rail segments and attach them toward the left or right with any normal BUIS on them facing the right way? Or they may make left handed 45* sights, but ive never looked for those.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can place them so they fold "backwards." I would not put the post at the rear and the ghost ring at the front though Wink

They are not in the sight picture of a red dot unless your red dot is also at 45 degrees, so you will have to zero both independently.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Troy offset BUIS I have on one of my rifles are reversible.

The sight portion is bolted onto the offset rail mount portion. To swap sides, you remove the sight section from the rail mount, reverse the rail mount, then reattach the sight portion.

https://troyind.com/offset-sights

(Don't let the price tag scare you. You can typically find them for much less than MSRP elsewhere online. I paid ~$150 for my set. I believe I got them from either Aim Surplus or Primary Arms.)

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
It is really kind of a moot point.

If I mount them offset to the right, the gun will eject right into my face.

If I mount them to the left, it will interfere with the charging handle.

I just ordered a longer rail to mount my BUIS and Holosun.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I just don't see there being enough real estate for offset on an AUG.

I'd probably even ditch BUIS and roll that $$$ into a bombproof RDS or optic.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also don't see 45 degree BUIS working well on an AUG. An MRDS at 45 degrees is preferable.

To answer your question, the bases on Griffin Armament's BUIS can be switched out between standard and 45 degree off set bases. I believe they can be reversed on the bases as well.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
It is really kind of a moot point.

If I mount them offset to the right, the gun will eject right into my face.

If I mount them to the left, it will interfere with the charging handle.

I just ordered a longer rail to mount my BUIS and Holosun.

If you mount them on the left, and you are trying to shoot the gun right handed, it will be almost impossible to get a sight picture/cheek weld.

I would argue that the BUIS is largely superfluous if you buy a quality optic.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post