SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PSA 9mm Colt Magazine lowers available Today (5/1/18 - see page 3)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA 9mm Colt Magazine lowers available Today (5/1/18 - see page 3) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
PSA would not give me an RMA to return without a 20% restocking fee because they said if I used their lower with a PSA Hybrid upper it would work so my FFL is deciding now if he wants the PSA lower for himself. If not I will sell it and purchase the Spikes lower that Black92 recommended I try....Just never built a lower so gonnna pay my FFL’s gunsmith to build it for me one I get the Spike lower and a parts kit...

My upper works on two other 9mm lowers that belong to my FFL and his son so it is not the upper that is the problem IMO....

Limited funds require me to sell the PSA lower before buying the Spikes lower and parts kit....

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Well that stinks.
I certainly like the idea of a factory dedicated 9mm lower but having a complete Colt Lowe sitting in the safe means I'll be going with a mag block.
After hearing your issues with the PSA lower I'm not feeling like I've missed out!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well my Spikes Tactical dedicated Colt 9mm lower arrived today and guess what?

I took my new AR 9mm upper and alligned the front pin, slid it through both the upper and lower and then lowered the upper down onto the rear portion of the Spikes lower and........

Somebitch did not fit....So now I guess I will be buying another 9mm bolt to see if my issue is the bolt in this complete NIB upper I purchased...If so I will get a return authorization from that company....Nothing easy about getting one of these 9mm AR’s built......Pictures tell the story...Top two pictures are the Spikes Lower and the bottom two pictures are the PSA lower....

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Man, that stinks.
Out of spec upper it is I guess.

Do you have any standard AR lowers you could try to Kate it to? Not to Fire of course but to check fitment.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I've just kinda been following this 9mm AR build so forgive me if you already know this or have discussed it here and I've missed it,
Its been several years since I built my 9mm AR but I remember that the 9mm bolts had to be machined for the std AR-15 hammer or if the bolt wasn't machined you could use a 9mm hammer.
When I built mine I wasn't sure what I had or needed so I ordered the 9mm hammer which I didn't end up needing as my bolt was machined.
I looked back through my build notes and invoices and I bought the 9mm hammer from RifleGear and it was labeled as RRA-9mm0106, RRA 9mm Hammer and was $19.99.
Good luck!

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Man, that stinks.

Do you have any standard AR lowers you could try to Kate it to? Not to Fire of course but to check fitment.

Black92 - Great question that I had not tried previously but I just did. I just successfully locked this 9mm upper with the bolt in it to a M&P lower and a Colt lower and the bolt cycled in both and the trigger cycled properly...Thanks for asking about this....Mark

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
I've just kinda been following this 9mm AR build so forgive me if you already know this or have discussed it here and I've missed it,
Its been several years since I built my 9mm AR but I remember that the 9mm bolts had to be machined for the std AR-15 hammer or if the bolt wasn't machined you could use a 9mm hammer.
When I built mine I wasn't sure what I had or needed so I ordered the 9mm hammer which I didn't end up needing as my bolt was machined.
I looked back through my build notes and invoices and I bought the 9mm hammer from RifleGear and it was labeled as RRA-9mm0106, RRA 9mm Hammer and was $19.99.
Good luck!

Mustang - The PSA lower came as a complete dedicated 9mm lower so I would hope that PSA used a trigger designed for a 9mm system but being PSA built this I think I will be calling them tomorrow to ask for conformation of this...

Thanks for bringing this up...At this point not having ever built an AR from scratch I will listen to everyone who has because the solution could be something that another member has already experienced and solved....Thanks again for taking time to post your thoughts on this...Greatly appreciate it...Mark

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Man, that stinks.

Black92 - Great question that I had not tried previously but I just did. I just successfully locked this 9mm upper with the bolt in it to a M&P lower and a Colt lower and the bolt cycled in both and the trigger cycled properly...Thanks for asking about this....Mark

That is weird. There should be no difference in the 9mm lowers that should keep the upper from mating. Especially the Spikes since it is stripped with nothing to get in the way.

What does it do if you align the rear take down pin first and not pivot on the fron take down pin?

Whose upper is it??

————————————————

posted Hide Post
AR15Part.com. This is the exact unit I purchased as a complete upper with a BCG and charging handle...

https://www.ar15part.com/produ...89mmssu1x10fsmlr.htm

Keep in mind the dedicated 9mm lower for Colt mags has the extended ejector that extends over the mag well where as the standard AR lowers do not...

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I would contact the upper manufacturer.
Something is off.
Their site says should fit all standard AR lowers.
The extractor should not be causing an issue.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I have a CMMG 9 millie dedicated lower with a M&A upper which runs like a raped ape. Not a single issue. Have used 20 and 30 round ASC mags without one issue. Maybe guys should avoid anything in PSA 9mm until they sort things out. IMHO.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Finally got her done.
I haven't fired it yet.

10.5" barreled PSA upper.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck, please let us us know how it works...

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my complete PSA Colt mag lower in the the day. Attached beautifully to my Colt SP1 upper and the CMMG bolt fit and works just fine and smoothly.

So far so good.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Finally got to the range last weekend.
I was able to run over 200 rounds through it.
Reloads, Federal brass case and aluminum case.
No issues with feeding, firing or ejecting.
The Metalform mags were flawless. Even the plastic 32 round Promags ran fine.

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I want one of these , badly.
But I now know I'll not have one unless one of the others finds a new home.

Love seeing all the 9mm ARs especially the Colt mag setups.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mustang - The PSA lower came as a complete dedicated 9mm lower so I would hope that PSA used a trigger designed for a 9mm system but being PSA built this I think I will be calling them tomorrow to ask for conformation of this...

You don't need a trigger or a hammer designed for anything else.
The standard AR-15 trigger works just fine.
You don't need a 9mm hammer as the bolt is ramped, allowing you to use a standard hammer.

The fire control group on the PSA colt style lowers is 100% standard.
That's the way you want it so you can use aftermarket trigger parts, if you so desire.

Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
xl_target, email coming your way with a question. Thanks.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
xl_target, email coming your way with a question. Thanks.
I will have some answers for you by this afternoon.

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Colt style (complete) 9mm Pistol lowers are available again at PSA:
http://palmettostatearmory.com...l-lower-classic.html

They also have Colt style (complete) 9mm rifle lowers available:
http://palmettostatearmory.com...e-lower-classic.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xl_target,