SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PSA 9mm Colt Magazine lowers available Today (5/1/18 - see page 3)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA 9mm Colt Magazine lowers available Today (5/1/18 - see page 3) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
Received my Colt lower too.
CDNN is having a sale on Metalform 32 round magazines right now:
https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar1...rm.html#.Woy8mB_OA_u

Thanks XL - just ordered me 4.....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just ordered one a couple hours ago. What do you guys think about them? Any pics you want to post? Thanks.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I just ordered one a couple hours ago. What do you guys think about them? Any pics you want to post? Thanks.

357 - Here ya go - Not the best photos but the best I could do...Upper is in route now....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks. It looks like they drilled and pinned in the block like Colt did with originals. Am I seeing that right?

posted Hide Post
357 - Yes - Here are a few better photos...Mark

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
These lowers do not utilized a pinned mag block.
They are machined for the stick mags.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thank you. Looking forward to getting mine in.

posted Hide Post
Looking at it seems the mag well is machines out and the ejector along with the feed ramp are pinned in. Am I correct? Kind of a hybrid. Also, last question. Does it come with the proper 9mm heavier type buffer? I am going to assume yes.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at it seems the mag well is machines out and the ejector along with the feed ramp are pinned in. Am I correct? Kind of a hybrid. Also, last question. Does it come with the proper 9mm heavier type buffer? I am going to assume yes.

That is correct just like everything on any stripped lower they are pinned in. I am not sure I would not call it a hybrid as you would never be able to use any other magazine type without matching the actual magwell.

————————————————

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I suspect the reason they call it a hybrid is because it is both machined and utilizes a pinned ejector and block of sorts. Honestly, in the days of $40 lowers, having a dedicated 9mm lower makes more sense than just adapting a standard one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

357 - The complete 9mm PSA lower that I purchased was built by PSA as a pistol lower. It was recommeded to me to go with this set up based on my plan on using this lower with a 8”-10” upper barrel length.

I was told the pistol buffer and spring “should” function properly with a short barrel upper....I will let you know when my upper arrives later this week and I am able to get out to the range....

I am brand new to this AR style 9mm design and have never owned or fired one. That is why I have asked several folks for guidance and help in this build...Mark

posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thank you. Can’t wait to get mine in. Been getting pieces here and there for a while.

I called it a hybrid because that’s what I call it. A milled lower for Colt style mags lower with pinned in parts on top.

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Blemished PSA 9mm 4" uppers with BCG and Charging handle on sale now for $249.

BLEM PSA 4" 9MM 6" M-LOK RAILED UPPER WITH FLUTED FLASH CAN, HYBRID BCG, & CH

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys. Let me know if you find an upper that works with your dedicated PSA Colt lower. Here is why...

My PSA dedicated Colt 9mm lower may be going back to PSA...I have tried this lower on two different 9mm complete uppers, one currently on a PSA lower and the two uppers I tried would not allow the lower and upper to function...It appears the ejector is sitting about 1/32” to high....I think I may return the lower to PSA and sell the brand new 9mm upper I purchased and call this a scrapped project....Mark

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Guys. Let me know if you find an upper that works with your dedicated PSA Colt lower. Here is why...

My PSA dedicated Colt 9mm lower may be going back to PSA...I have tried this lower on two different 9mm complete uppers, one currently on a PSA lower and the two uppers I tried would not allow the lower and upper to function...It appears the ejector is sitting about 1/32” to high....I think I may return the lower to PSA and sell the brand new 9mm upper I purchased and call this a scrapped project....Mark

Their progression on matching upper to lowers for the 9mms is why I did not go with a PSA lower.

They first came out and indicated the lowers only worked with PSA uppers.
They then changed that and had a listing of compatible uppers.
Now it just says “Works best with a PSA 9mm uppers.”

So pretty much buy their upper or good luck.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
"ASC work just fine too"
This is a bit old in the thread, but simply not true in my experience. Due to an odd circumstance I ended up buying a very large quantity of asc colt 9mm mags. About 20% of them are junk. That's not to say all is lost if they are 50% of the metalform ones (the gold standard) you might be ahead. But they are not going to be 100%

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black92XL - Question if I can ask you - I love the 8” complete upper I purchased from AR15Parts.com and would like to keep it. Can you recommend a different lower that might work in place of this PSA lower?

Thanks. Mark

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a regular Anderson Lower with a PSA mag block and it has worked great.
I built an upper based around a Rainier stripped upper so pretty much any milspec upper should work.
I would not do a mag block again now that there are plenty of lower options at reasonable prices. When I built mine Colt and Quarter Circle 10 were about the only ones available and they are $250 for a stripped lower. Not sure Colt was available stripped but a complete lower was big money.
I had been given an Anderson lower as a gift and found the block for fairly cheap.

I have a stripped Meridian Ordnance dedicated Colt pattern lower I have not built yet. Though MO only sells complete guns, I got lucky and snagged a stripped lower. I have no doubt it will work without issue or be made right.

I think if I was to do another the Spikes would be my 1st choice. Spikes is good quality and their lowers are about $100 cheaper than Quarter Circle 10 which is quality but you pay for it.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/pro...e+mags&groupid=11110

CMMG also makes a lower in the $170 range. I have had 2 CMMG products in the past (not 9mm AR) and was not happy with the quality. So I likely will not be getting anything CMMG. Though others like their stuff. I may have just gotten some bad luck.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Black92 - You have mail Sir.....Thanks Mark

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
You still haven't sent that back ?!

Confused

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post