SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Precision rifle shooters: Do you ever use a pull-through bore cleaner (“snake”)? Would you?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Precision rifle shooters: Do you ever use a pull-through bore cleaner (“snake”)? Would you? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I’m rereading a history of military sniping and the authoritative author points out that the once-common steel and aluminum chain type pull-through bore cleaners could quickly damage the crown of the bore if not used very carefully. He also states, “Even the comparatively soft British regulation cord pull-through can damage the crown of a muzzle over a short time, affecting accuracy.” If that claim is true, it would also apply to the current “bore snakes” that many shooters rely on these days.

This is a question I’ve pondered for a long time, so what do the precision shooters think and do? Do you regularly use pull-through bore cleaners? And most important, do you believe the claim about the damage they can do is correct?

(I don’t, BTW, use them myself; just seeking opinions about the claim of possible damage.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
For whatever it's worth I use em. Haven't noticed anything in any of my rifles.

I do recall Bartocci saying it could score the barrel. I want to say he stated the Otis version wouldn't do any harm though. Could be wrong.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I don’t picture a *clean* boresnake doing anything bad to a barrel crown.
A dirty one with hard carbon imbedded in it I could imagine being an issue after many uses but I bet it wouldn’t be used that much on a high quality rifle anyway.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t use a pull thru on a precision rifle. I’ve seen SMLEs with a notch at the muzzle due to pull thru not being held at the same angle as the rifle. IIRC the manual for the SMLE manual stipulated two people using the pull thru to avoid damaging the crown....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'm not a precision shooter, by far, but No! It's only clean once. After that, it's a dirty rope.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I think every knowledgeable person I have ever seen make a recommendation for precision rifles has recommended a one-piece coated or nonmetallic cleaning rod with patches, nylon brush if necessary, and relying on chemical cleaning rather than mechanical.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do agree that I don't think the bore snakes can clean that well after a couple of uses on a dirty rifle,other than removing some of the heavy fouling, but I am not sure how they can damage a crown on a rifle. I am not the most knowledgeable about precision rifles and barrels but I don't see how they can damage the steel around a barrel crown. I also don't use my snakes by pulling them through the muzzle first. I think if you have a precision rifle, I wouldn't recommend a bore snake for cleaning as you would want the best tool for the job to keep the rifle precision.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
No way would I use one on my BR rifles.
I want total control and ripping a snake through a 17 lb rifle isn't gonna be controlled.
I have $$$ in cleaning rods made for the job.
Plus ... BR shooters clean a rifle clean not just the carbon knocked down.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I do agree that I don't think the bore snakes can clean that well after a couple of uses on a dirty rifle,other than removing some of the heavy fouling, but I am not sure how they can damage a crown on a rifle. I am not the most knowledgeable about precision rifles and barrels but I don't see how they can damage the steel around a barrel crown. I also don't use my snakes by pulling them through the muzzle first. I think if you have a precision rifle, I wouldn't recommend a bore snake for cleaning as you would want the best tool for the job to keep the rifle precision.

My understanding and why I've never used pull-through devices on my rifles:

When you use a cleaning rod, the rod can be controlled somewhat so that it never "droops" allowing the body of the rod to touch the crown. This is especially true when using a bore guide or that cone-shaped crown guard that sometimes comes with cleaning rods (not sure what the technical term for it is).

But with a pull through device, unless you pull perfectly through the middle, you can pull to the side, and that rubs on a part of the crown, which can create a notch over time.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd never use one on a precision barrel, but I've been flamed by one of the "experts" on another forum who stated that all his world class benchrest shooter friends used them Smile

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Hypothetically speaking, if there was a compensator or flash hider on the end of the muzzle would it still be a concern? Then misuse would result in the side force (wear) on the comp/hider end and not the crown/rifling.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huskerlrrp:
Then misuse would result in the side force (wear) on the comp/hider end and not the crown/rifling.

I imagine you’re correct as far as that particular issue is concerned.
I would still avoid pull-throughs myself, though, unless I were in a situation in which a conventional rod wasn’t available and making some attempt at cleaning the bore—however poorly—was necessary.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huskerlrrp:
Hypothetically speaking, if there was a compensator or flash hider on the end of the muzzle would it still be a concern? Then misuse would result in the side force (wear) on the comp/hider end and not the crown/rifling.

Such devices don't cover the crown -- they just push the ultimate opening forward a bit. The snake can still produce a sideways force on the crown.

The worst for this is an open prong type flash hider, as the snake can be pushed to the side almost immediately after passing the crown.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough the military standard issue cleaning kit for rifles and carbines is the Otis which is a pull through style.
The sniper rifles in my unit ( going back some years here) came in a deployment hard case with one piece Dewey style rods.
I actually do use a bore snake frequently on my single “precision” rifle, a gun I use for nrl22 matches. I fail to see how dropping a brass tipped string through the bore from the chamber end and pulling it through can hurt a hardened steel crown

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Imo,
It doesn't hurt but it doesn't clean worth a chit.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post