SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    RMR on an SBR, opinions...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RMR on an SBR, opinions... Login/Join 
posted
I am awaiting the stamp on my DD MK18.

I also have a spare RMR sitting in the safe. I have only briefly played with the RMR, my initial feeling was it did not seem bright enough.

Bad idea or nice to have a small optic on the rifle.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Depends on the RMR. An Adjustable LED is certainly bright enough IMO.

You have the downside of an exposed emitter optic (ie, dirt / water could block the LED) and it does have a smaller window with which to see the dot, but I've seen people use them with little difficulty as a primary optic on a rifle. I have one 'piggybacked' on a Nightforce in a Reptilia ROF90 mount. Works fine and is plenty bright for a sunny day at the range.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trijicon RM08 with the 12.9 triangle.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All depends on what you want to use it for. Serious rifle I use aimpoint. RMR's are tough but not aimpoint tough. Non serious rifle its fine. As Rhinowso says how happy you will be depends on which RMR both dot size and technology. I've thrown them on lots of things, most recently an MP5 I have been running in the local tactical matches. Works fine. That with an RMR06. I've also last year run one occasionally on a PCC (mostly an MPX) and again no issues. Me personally I like a bigger window.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Terrible optic overall based on my experience. Dot is too big for most everything, never mind that Trijicon promotes using the tip for accuracy, you can't do that a speed. In bright sun its over driven and useless unless you can cover part of the tube and at night under illumination also confused as the tritium is not adjustable in any way. Would not be my choice except under the most play gun circumstances.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:

A big NO on that one.

A Type 2 Adjustable 1.0 or 3.25 MOA RMR would be great. Anything else, not so much.

But honestly, I'd take a H-2/T-2 on an SBR (and personally that I what I have on mine).

posted Hide Post
I've lots of RMR's on lots of guns. I've been through the whole catalog figuring out what works/doesn't. The 1Moa one is useless in all but the most unusual circumstances. You want an RMR06 type 2. Lots of effort and money to learn this, but that's what you want.

posted Hide Post
That’s interesting. Would you take the MRO or the SRO over it?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
While I have used the SRO I don't have the history I have with the RMR and I think its potentially way more fragile than an RMR. I have done some pretty nasty things to an RMR (like having it recoil into a barricade) without issue. Just not enough time on the SRO to have a positive confirmation. That said I would take an MRO over the RMR on an SBR all day every day. I've maybe a dozen of them and had no issues over lots of abuse. I personally tried but don't like the green one. I just got the HD one so I'm not able to say if its a plus. But I've shot a zillion match rounds with the plain MRO and never had a complaint or issue. You will be completely happy with one.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Like peas and carrots

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only comment on an RMR on anything but a handgun is that it will ultimately be less durable than the other choices like an MRO or Aimpoint. ON a handgun you don't have that choice realistically.

I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:

I had one of those on my woods gun. As others have said, it’s very limited in its scope. It’s near useless in range settings depending on the light. It worked well in outside settings that I’d want in the woods. I looked at the triangle at a fast acquisition optic if something wild was “bearing” down on me.

I won’t buy another one.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
My only comment on an RMR on anything but a handgun is that it will ultimately be less durable than the other choices like an MRO or Aimpoint. ON a handgun you don't have that choice realistically.
I agree, but the RMR is pretty durable compared to all other reflex type sights - so if someone is trying to go uber lightweight, I can see that as an option - however I believe a T-2 is worth the extra 2 oz it weights over an RMR as a primary rifle optic. Ease of illum adjustment alone would be worth it.

posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the comments. I think I’m going to sell the Rmr and go with something more traditional.

Probably an MRO.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
MRO seems clunky to me. I have a T1 on my primary HD gun and would probably go that route if wanting a traditional red dot. I like the RMR because I can find them for about half of what a T2 will run. While the RMR are mointsd on guns I depend on, those guns live a pretty cushy life.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I went with the Trijicon MRO (Green) and they don't seem "clunky" at all on my AR type SBR (9mm). YMMV!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also been pretty happy with the MRO on guns where I don't need an aimpoint or its cost. Its been reliable and easy to live with. I tried green but didn't like it. I haven't lived with an RMR on anything but a daytime play rifle but having spent the last several years carrying one on a pistol I can't imagine its quirks would make having to actually depend on one on a rifle very easy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,