SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for Centerfire Takedown Rifle.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Centerfire Takedown Rifle. Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Not a take down but Rossi makes a sweet 44 carbine. I own the variant in 357, it’s been reliable and it’s sized for travel.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Kel-Tec Sub2000 in .40 S&W?

Posts: 33748 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Based on your criteria and trying to keep costs low, I would go for a pump action 12 gauge shotgun.

Preferably one with a magazine tube almost the same length as the barrel for decent capacity. One of the 18" models would probably fit the bill.

Fill it with slugs.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like skinner sights actually makes one called the Bush pilot. I can’t imagine it’s cheap though.

Edit....actually according to the website, it’s only 1499.00 making it not much more expensive than a blr and it comes in 44 or 45-70...you might check that out.

http://www.skinnersights.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newmexican,

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kel-Tec Sub2000 in .40 S&W

wouldn't be a good choice for large predators and probably fails the Canada transit as well.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Find a cosmetically challanged Win. Model 12. Whack it at 18" and put on a fiber optic bead.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good find NewMex. I know nothing about that Skinner. But I like it in 44mag. I have a Marlin in 44mag and I really like it. I had a Marlin in 45-70 and hated it. To be honest that is about the only firearm that I have owned that sticks in my mind as one I actual hated to shoot. I am not recoil sensitive as I have other big bore rifle's That mutha I hated and it was not the short barreled version either Eek .

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Good find NewMex. I know nothing about that Skinner. But I like it in 44mag. I have a Marlin in 44mag and I really like it. I had a Marlin in 45-70 and hated it. To be honest that is about the only firearm that I have owned that sticks in my mind as one I actual hated to shoot. I am not recoil sensitive as I have other big bore rifle's That mutha I hated and it was not the short barreled version either Eek .

I’d seen one out in the Bush in AK, then saw an add for them in hunt Alaska magazine but assumed they were 3-4K like the version Wild West guns makes. I dug out the magazine because I couldn’t remember the brand then looked it up. For that price I may bite. A 44 would make a handy rifle to pack while camping and rafting.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it crazy to consider a big bore mare's leg lever gun? Light, compact, don't have to fool with putting it together, and should be legal just about anywhere.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 966 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn’t the Chiapas Alaskan also a takedown?

Edit: yes they are, also not too much more expensive than the BLR.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/...ds=Chiappa%20Alaskan

posted Hide Post
I've motorcycle tripped. What's the loa max that will work with your gear? That will drive the options. I don't follow Canadian law, but why can't you get a revolver in?

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I've motorcycle tripped. What's the loa max that will work with your gear? That will drive the options. I don't follow Canadian law, but why can't you get a revolver in?

All legal handguns are classified as restricted firearms by Canadian law. The requirements for bringing in a restricted firearm are much stricter than they are for a pump shotgun or a bolt or lever action rifle.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But anything that is 26" or less in oal is the same. Not totally sure about breakdowns?

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
SgtGold's comment of "I'm looking for something that goes together quickly in the event of a bear or other large dangerous game." has me picturing turning a corner on a trail and finding myself face-to-face with an angry large animal 20 feet away and my gun in pieces in a case.

I should have elaborated a bit more about the intended use for the rifle in my OP. I may be doing some long distance motorcycle trecking through sparsely populated areas. My intention is not hunting, but large game protection when camping. My travels may take me through Canada, which greatly restricts my options. I would much rather pack a 44 magnum wheelgun, but that's a no go as far as north of the border is concerned. And yes, I am familiar with Canadian gun law, hense the focus on a long arm.

I could just pack a 12 gauge pump because they come apart with just the magazine nut. What I'm trying to do is find something that can be packed small without any loose parts. I would only need to assemble it while stopped for the night, or in the event of a mechanical breakdown.

That makes more sense. Smile

You can always put the nut back on the mag tube after you take the barrel off and not have any loose parts.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the Mossberg 590 Shockwave/Remington Tac-14, a consideration?
It's reasonably normal looking,
It's definitely compact,
12ga, 20ga, or even 410ga
Many choices in ammo. Slugs, buck shot, etc.

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by air:
Is the Mossberg 590 Shockwave/Remington Tac-14, a consideration?
It's reasonably normal looking,
It's definitely compact,
12ga, 20ga, or even 410ga
Many choices in ammo. Slugs, buck shot, etc.

Unless I'm reading the law wrong those are prohibited by statute due to barrel length.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-...ited-prohibe-eng.htm

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Unless I'm reading the law wrong those are prohibited by statute due to barrel length.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-...ited-prohibe-eng.htm

I can see your hesitation, although it has not been altered by the user, it'll probably bring more hassle than it's usefulness.

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that bears pose a great risk in Canadian campgrounds or in the unlikley event of a roadside breakdown that it is worth the effort to bring a firearm? Whenever I travel to Canada they flip out at the fact that I even own firearms and threaten to search my truck for even a single stray round of ammo. If your travel plans are that dangerous would it not be wise to consider travel in a safer location?

Posts: 1794 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Are you sure that bears pose a great risk in Canadian campgrounds or in the unlikley event of a roadside breakdown that it is worth the effort to bring a firearm? Whenever I travel to Canada they flip out at the fact that I even own firearms and threaten to search my truck for even a single stray round of ammo. If your travel plans are that dangerous would it not be wise to consider travel in a safer location?

You're missing the point.