SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for Centerfire Takedown Rifle.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Centerfire Takedown Rifle. Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted
Can't be an AR type semi auto. Must be either bolt or lever action. Must also be big enough for bear protection. The cheaper the better. Ideas?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taylor 1886 Ridge Runner 45-70 may fit the bill.
May not pass the cheap test, though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think wild west guns in anchorage does a takedown 45-70, there’s another one I saw in hunt Alaska magazine but I’m too lazy to dig it up to find the name, If I have some time later I’ll see if I can find it.

Blaser makes a take down don’t rhey?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one I have always considered is the browning BLR takedown. But not sure .308 would be ok in terms of caliber. If not just get the WWG takedown and be happy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
No such critter.

Unless by "cheaper" you mean expensive vs really expensive. Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
No such critter.

Unless by "cheaper" you mean expensive vs really expensive. Big Grin

This

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Browning BLR will set you back about 1k

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If you don't need a repeater action, there are a number of break-open single shot rifles available in cartridges like .45-70, .308, or .30-06 across a wide price range and wide range of ease of separating the barrel and forearm from the butt and frame.

Or, for that matter, you could just buy a 12ga shotgun and load it with slugs. It's very easy to separate the barrel from the butt and receiver on every pump, over-under, or side-by-side shotgun I've ever seen.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Folding stock 12 ga with slugs?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Folding stock 12 ga with slugs?

I was thinking the same. Mossberg 590 with sb brace and hera side folder.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The one I have always considered is the browning BLR takedown. But not sure .308 would be ok in terms of caliber. If not just get the WWG takedown and be happy.

Yea, the more I look into this the more the BLR is looking like the only real option. 308 wasn't my first choice but with the harder hitting loads it should be potent bear repellant.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Another option I hadn't considered is a Ruger Precision Rifle. I have one in 6.5 Creedmore and they make it in .308 Win.

posted Hide Post
How is that a takedown?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is that a takedown?

It's not. But cut the barrel to 16" and fold the stock and it's compact enough for a discrete case while out in the wilderness. I'm looking for something that goes together quickly in the event of a bear or other large dangerous game.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Ds marlin still make a take down 336?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here you go.
Could probably find a folding sock adapter too.

http://www.mossberg.com/catego...mvp-series/mvp-flex/

.308 takes down without tools, bolt action less than $600.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...0%2B1+6-Position+Bla

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dusty3030,

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
How is that a takedown?

It's not. But cut the barrel to 16" and fold the stock and it's compact enough for a discrete case while out in the wilderness. I'm looking for something that goes together quickly in the event of a bear or other large dangerous game.

I don't live in an area with bears, but my impression from people I know that do is that if a bear is far away enough that you can get a broken-down gun out of a case and put it together, you aren't in much danger, and if it's close enough to really be worried about, you probably wouldn't have time.

I knew several Alaskan wilderness guides years ago and they all carried and recommended either large caliber double action revolvers (.41 or .44 Magnum) or pistol grip pump shotguns when they were in grizzly bear areas.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
How is that a takedown?

I don't live in an area with bears, but my impression from people I know that do is that if a bear is far away enough that you can get a broken-down gun out of a case and put it together, you aren't in much danger, and if it's close enough to really be worried about, you probably wouldn't have time.

I knew several Alaskan wilderness guides years ago and they all carried and recommended either large caliber double action revolvers (.41 or .44 Magnum) or pistol grip pump shotguns when they were in grizzly bear areas.
I lived in Alaska for 5 years. My understanding of the takedown guide gun was for taking up less space in an airplane. Alaska was one of the worst states (might actually be the worst) for airplane crash statistics plus pilots fly fisherman & hunters out to bear territory, drop them off, and pick them up at prearranged time. If they crash, their plane can't take back off due to weather or mechanical problems then they assemble the takedown guide gun. The assembly has safety checks so it's not something you want to do with an angry brown bear coming at you.

When hiking, river fishing, etc. I carried a .454 Casull in a Diamond D guide's choice chest holster, my buddy carried a 12 gauge shotty on a sling, and my other buddy carried a lever action .45-70 in a scabbard on his back. My preference was to carry my big bore revolver and be with someone carrying bear spray (I'd prefer to scare them off with bear spray and reserve my revolver for if it didn't get scared off). Fortunately never had to use it, but I did clear leather on one hike where I wound up in a bowl alone with a wolverine (he/she scampered away).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I lived in Alaska for 5 years. My understanding of the takedown guide gun was for taking up less space in an airplane. Alaska was one of the worst states (might actually be the worst) for airplane crash statistics plus pilots fly fisherman & hunters out to bear territory, drop them off, and pick them up at prearranged time. If they crash, their plane can't take back off due to weather or mechanical problems then they assemble the takedown guide gun. The assembly has safety checks so it's not something you want to do with an angry brown bear coming at you.

When hiking, river fishing, etc. I carried a .454 Casull in a Diamond D guide's choice chest holster, my buddy carried a 12 gauge shotty on a sling, and my other buddy carried a lever action .45-70 in a scabbard on his back. My preference was to carry my big bore revolver and be with someone carrying bear spray (I'd prefer to scare them off with bear spray and reserve my revolver for if it didn't get scared off). Fortunately never had to use it, but I did clear leather on one hike where I wound up in a bowl alone with a wolverine (he/she scampered away).

In that context, a takedown rifle certainly makes sense. One of the guides I knew had some pretty harrowing bush plane crash stories.

SgtGold's comment of "I'm looking for something that goes together quickly in the event of a bear or other large dangerous game." has me picturing turning a corner on a trail and finding myself face-to-face with an angry large animal 20 feet away and my gun in pieces in a case.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
SgtGold's comment of "I'm looking for something that goes together quickly in the event of a bear or other large dangerous game." has me picturing turning a corner on a trail and finding myself face-to-face with an angry large animal 20 feet away and my gun in pieces in a case.

I should have elaborated a bit more about the intended use for the rifle in my OP. I may be doing some long distance motorcycle trecking through sparsely populated areas. My intention is not hunting, but large game protection when camping. My travels may take me through Canada, which greatly restricts my options. I would much rather pack a 44 magnum wheelgun, but that's a no go as far as north of the border is concerned. And yes, I am familiar with Canadian gun law, hense the focus on a long arm.

I could just pack a 12 gauge pump because they come apart with just the magazine nut. What I'm trying to do is find something that can be packed small without any loose parts. I would only need to assemble it while stopped for the night, or in the event of a mechanical breakdown.