SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The Stars Were Aligned and I Finally Got an AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Stars Were Aligned and I Finally Got an AR Login/Join 
Picture of Gambit
posted
I had been putting off for years and never felt the urge to buy an AR15, but this week one came my way and I went for it.
I traded into this pre-ban (according to serial, I think) Colt 9mm. Everthing looks good to this novice.
Anything special I should know ?
I think I did the right thing Smile

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I think you did great. If I wanted a 9mm AR, I'd want a Colt. Nice rifle!

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Neat!!!

Load up a bunch of ammo and run it hard!!!

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Enjoy!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice . Has the extra nice Magpul stock , handguard and grip.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I really like my 6450.

The only pointer I have for you: mags. Go get 'em!

Metalforms are great. I use a mixture of Colt OEMs and ACSs. The ACSs pop up on PSA from time to time at around $16.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Are you somewhere that Pre-ban matters?

If you are, then the non-stock hardware detracts from the value, and possibly the legality if the state is reeeaally dumb.

If you aren't, was it just the price?

I'm just curious how folks in free states view "pre-ban" stuff, if you're in a free state.

A Colt 9mm is a fine weapon. About all it needs is a better trigger and a ramped bolt carrier.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If I’m not mistaken, Acadiana in in Louisiana so he should be fine with updated hardware.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all.
Acadiana is in Louisiana .
I traded into this one with a lever action 44 I was asking $800 for, but would have taken $750.
At first the guy with the Colt asked for $100 plus my lever rifle, but I refused and he acquiesced.
When I asked why he was parting with his rifle he remarked that he had others and was thinning out the 9mm AR's .
Not sure about value with original pre-ban parts and such around here.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Are you somewhere that Pre-ban matters?

If you are, then the non-stock hardware detracts from the value, and possibly the legality if the state is reeeaally dumb.

If you aren't, was it just the price?

I'm just curious how folks in free states view "pre-ban" stuff, if you're in a free state.

A Colt 9mm is a fine weapon. About all it needs is a better trigger and a ramped bolt carrier.

To follow up,what is your opinion on this "United Defense Labs 9mm Bolt Carrier Group (Enhanced For Both Colt & Glock Lower's) Highest Quality "? Thanks

posted Hide Post
winning

Enjoy !!

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

To follow up,what is your opinion on this "United Defense Labs 9mm Bolt Carrier Group (Enhanced For Both Colt & Glock Lower's) Highest Quality "? Thanks

Don't replace the whole thing, that's not needed. If you're going to keep the trigger group that Colt uses, you don't need to do anything. But it's a crap trigger, really.

I'd recommend freeing yourself to put any AR trigger in there, and the only thing you need to do is to ramp the carrier. Adco will do it for $50 and a quick turnaround.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Thanks

posted Hide Post
I shot a colt 9mm AR I rented once and it was a lot of fun. I could bump fire it 2-3 rounds at a time in completely stock form just by letting it recoil off of my shoulder......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post