SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR15 Pistol Build Laws
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 Pistol Build Laws Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Just started to research building an AR pistol.

I'm not very familiar with the laws, most online sights have different info.

My question is, when I picked up my lowers from my gun store, did I have to tell them to register a lower as a pistol in order to legally make an AR pistol out of the lower?

I believe they registered my lowers as rifle.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
Maybe this video featuring a lawyer can be helpful, https://youtu.be/0eJO77J8k3I?t=4m10s

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Lowers should have been transferred to you as other. It’s not a rifle since it didn’t have a barrel attached. Build one as a pistol.

But with that said, check your local laws.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Lowers should have been transferred to you as other.

This. If you bought stripped lowers, and they were correctly transferred to you as "other", then you can build them into whatever you want.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly sure when but other was a relatively recent add to the 4473. Before that you had to pick.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm not exactly sure when but other was a relatively recent add to the 4473. Before that you had to pick.

Other has always been a choice in the 6 years ive had my license.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recent I guess is relative (i'm old). I've a number of lowers purchased before there was other.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Recent I guess is relative (i'm old). I've a number of lowers purchased before there was other.

As do I. I've got a passel of lowers sitting around from 2007 or 2008 and I can only assume I had them transferred as "rifle".

I'm in the planning stages of a 9mm AR pistol build now and want to use one of these, so it'd be nice to know if I'm good, since they're almost certainly not "other" on the 4473.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
In PA it requires an additional/separate form from the ones that I have done as pistols in this county.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The receivers were purchased in OH, where I lived at the time, so there's no state police form.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe they registered my lowers as rifle.

A 4473 doesn't "register" anything.

At least that's what they tell us.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
doesn't register anything? really? ever hear of a trace?
Without making silly comments about your post at one point in time you had to pick when you bought a lower if it was a pistol or rifle.
There is some ATF guidance on this but I can't seem to find it. The rule used to be once a rifle always a rifle.
I'll keep looking.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
When in doubt...don't...lowers are pretty cheap..if building a pistol, buy a new lower to be sure.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I understand the situation -

Figure once a pistol, always a pistol. Once a rifle, always a rifle. One of the ATF concerns is a pistol upper on a rifle lower - this is a “Short Barreled Rifle” and needs special approval through the ATF. (Class 3 Stamp IIRC)

A rifle without a stock, while I don’t know what they call it, might be seen as an easily concealed “terrorist” type weapon, also potentially frowned upon. May or may not be prohibited or regulated by the AFT, I don’t know.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:

A rifle without a stock, while I don’t know what they call it, might be seen as an easily concealed “terrorist” type weapon, also potentially frowned upon. May or may not be prohibited or regulated by the AFT, I don’t know.

IIRC a rifle is a rifle. Stock or no stock and cannot be concealed as it’s not a pistol.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
So how does one determine how a lower was purchased/transferred if the original paperwork is not available? I have a complete lower that I'm thinking about selling. I don't know how it was transferred to me (will need to dig the receipt out if I can find it) but I made a rifle out of it. What would I tell a perspective buyer.. rifle only since that's what I had on it for awhile, or can they make whatever they want since it would be their first build with it?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
So how does one determine how a lower was purchased/transferred if the original paperwork is not available? I have a complete lower that I'm thinking about selling. I don't know how it was transferred to me (will need to dig the receipt out if I can find it) but I made a rifle out of it. What would I tell a perspective buyer.. rifle only since that's what I had on it for awhile, or can they make whatever they want since it would be their first build with it?

Whoever did your transfer is required to keep the 4473 for a period of time. When that expires, the 4473 are given to the BATFE. In short, just have to track down the 4473.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

Your lower can only be used to build a rifle. Disclose that to the buyer.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Your lower can only be used to build a rifle. Disclose that to the buyer.

That's what I suspected. I did find my receipts but there is no mention of how it was transferred but I guess that's makes no difference at this point.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post