SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 870 with Blackhawk NRS Stock - Cheekslaps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 with Blackhawk NRS Stock - Cheekslaps Login/Join 
posted
I finally had a chance to shoot my Rem 870 for the first time. It's an older 870 Tactical model with a Blackhawk NRS stock. This is the model without the recoil buffering. I was shooting 00 buck loads. I was experiencing severe checkslaps regardless of the adjustments to the collapsible stock. I also made sure the stock was firmly tucked into my shoulder as well. I think the gun is recoiling upward because of the stock angle to the gun and maybe something to do with the pitch, but I don't think I understand the whole mechanic of this problem. Anyone have any ideas was what is causing this and what I can do to solve it? Thanks.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
How solid is your cheak weld? On anything with substantial recoil if you don't glue your cheak to the stock there will be some slap.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My check welk is firm to the point having a "muffin top" over the top of stock.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your 00 loads are full power ones, the chances for cheek slap increase.

A firm cheek weld tends to reduce cheek slap, but it may not be the primary cause. Firmly pressing the buttstock into the shoulder pocket is often the primary cause of cheek slap.

The next issue is likely the stock itself. If your stock has a pistol grip, I suspect that is the root cause. Most pistol grip shotguns I've shot tend to rise into my face. IMO a traditional shotgun stock configuration is much better at directing recoil forces straight back in to the shooter's shoulder, rather than upwards into his face.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Well the 870 was always known as a bit of a thumper, and I think the NRS stock enhances the issue. I have the recoil reducing version of the Knoxx stock and I can say it's a game changer.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@fritz - I naturally carry over how I shoulder my shotgun from my rifle habits. So tucking the stock increases the the chances for check slap but that is counter to what I have always done for rifles, especially for larger cal and magnums. Isn't this a trade off between getting smack in the face vs. a bruised shoulder?

@SgtGold Do you noticed any more upward recoil because of the pistol grip or does the recoil compensation minimized that effect vs a standard stock? I am debating on another stock. I don't think I can fix the problem with the current one. Leaning toward a standard stock or the MagPul.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXLe:
@SgtGold Do you noticed any more upward recoil because of the pistol grip or does the recoil compensation minimized that effect vs a standard stock? I am debating on another stock. I don't think I can fix the problem with the current one. Leaning toward a standard stock or the MagPul.

The recoil reducing properties of the Knoxx design pretty much eliminates any issues. There is some rise, but it's well mitigated by the stock. I plan on getting the Magpul stock just to try it out so I can make an educated decision on which one I like better.

Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
I had issues with the Knoxx stock and have swapped to magpuls for all of mine.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zacsquatch:
I had issues with the Knoxx stock and have swapped to magpuls for all of mine.

@Zacsquatch Was it the non-recoil Knoxx? What were the issues? What did the MagPul SGA improved over the Knoxx? Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I don't get any kind of shoulder bruising from shotguns or center fire rifles as long as I keep under a couple hundred rounds per day. Multiple round sporting clays tournaments beat me up -- not so much bruising, but just sore shoulder the next day.

IMO cheek slap is among the worst form of uncontrolled recoil forces. It moves your head, which means you can't see where your shot/bullet is going, and you likely won't see the impact on target. Follow up shots are slower, too, as you must rebuild the cheek weld or eyebox position.

Something seems to be up with the way many people shoot a pistol grip with a shotgun. I definitely have more control over the gun and recoil impulses with a traditional stock.

Interestingly, I have no issues with a pistol grip stock on an AR-15 or AR-10. They just seem to work, and even shooting an AR-10 off hand, I don't experience cheek slap. But I prefer that bolt action rifles have traditional stocks. And I can't run away fast enough from a shotgun with a pistol grip stock.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to see someone with impeccable shotgun technique, google Kim Rhode and click on any video that shows her in skeet competition. Granted, skeet limits the weight of shot to 7/8 ounces, IIRC. However, the competitors use some pretty fast loads to help compensate for limited shot weight and fast targets. Heavy buck loads will be more stout than skeet ammo, however low recoiling buck will be similar.

Focus on Kim's body position -- weight on forward foot, upper body leaning forward into the recoil forces. The shotgun barely moves on her shoulder and she experiences no recoil forces on her face. Kim doesn't really hold the gun all that hard -- hard holds are a challenge when the game requires starting the gun from a low mount.

Her limited issues with recoil are a combination of the gun fitting her body, great technique, and lots of rounds down range. She has one Perazzi with a over a million rounds through the tubes.

posted Hide Post
I had a Knoxx recoil reducing stock on an 870 and got cheek slap as well. I discovered a few ways to mitigate it but ultimately went with a Magpul stock. I’m now a believer in non-pistol grip stocks for shotguns.

When I had to use the Knoxx stock, the technique that minimized cheek slap was to keep my head as upright as possible and bring the gun up to meet my sight line. It felt strange at first since my cheek weld was further back on the stock, but the cheek slap went away.

Posts: 36 | Registered: August 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Is the bolt holding the stock loose. I am more familiar with the recoil reducing stock. I assume they are attached with the same type bolt screwed into the receiver. After heavy shooting that bolt can loosen and the stock starts moving.

I'm a fan of the pistol grip stock over the traditional as mine works well for the hard use I put it through. I have not had any problem with my cheek weld. YMMV

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have come to the conclusion this Knoxx NRS (non-recoiling) stock is a poor design. Compared to the factory stock, Magpul and even the Mesa Tac pistol grip stocks, the butt on this stock is noticeably angled downward from the barrel line. I think this introduces an upward vectoring force from the recoil. I don't think I can come up with anything to fix this stock. I'm planning to replace it with the Magpul.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXLe:
the butt on this stock is noticeably angled downward from the barrel line. I think this introduces an upward vectoring force from the recoil.

Bingo.

The recoil-reducing version is worth the squeeze IMO. Wouldn't want an NRS version.

I like also the shorter pull achieved with mine. The adjustability is nice.

In some ways - you are either a shotgunner or not. I grew up shooting shotguns so either way doesn't bother me- I'd fire 150+ rounds in a session as a 14 year old blasting hand-chucked skeet.

Some people just never warm up to the recoil of extensive shotgun firing. And we all have our limits. For me it's 2 3/4 inch full power shells. No interest in 3" magnums. Big Grin

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Well the 870 was always known as a bit of a thumper, and I think the NRS stock enhances the issue. I have the recoil reducing version of the Knoxx stock and I can say it's a game changer.

I too have a Knoxx recoil reducing stock, but wrapped the stock in 550 cord to give some padding

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Lots of experience with traditional stocks, Magpul SGA, and the almost/Blackhawk. I experienced the face slap one of two times over the years when I got lazy on technique but my primary fighting shotgun will always have the Knox recoil reducing stock. The recoil reduction is a big advantage and I’m all about every advantage I can get in a potential gunfight. That’s the reason my gun has a good red dot and the Hogue forend. The Hogue lends itself to one handed operation much better than any other forend I’ve tried. The pistol grip also makes it easier to shoot one handed and I find it more comfortable for all day classes.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post