SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need input on AR mounted light
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need input on AR mounted light Login/Join 
Picture of fz4vgq
posted
Looking for the best bang for the buck weapon mountable light for my 16" AR with an aluminum keymod rail. Looking at lights in the $75-$125 range. I was all set to order a Fenix PD36R with an Arisaka keymod flashlight mount but now I'm having doubts. What are your thoughts in this price range ?

Thanks,
fz

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Very pleased with the Streamlight ProTac rail mount HL-X.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I have four Fenix lights on my ARs and such. I use the ALG mount. Function and brightness are outstanding.

Over 1000 lumens at under $100. Price per lumens can't be beat!

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-flashlight-series/

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I really like the design of this Inforce light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have dealt with mounting SureFire lights of the X300 types on rifles, and much prefer the Inforce’s ease of operation. One thing in particular is its large rotating switch that changes from momentary to constant on modes. I used the light recently for a night rifle qualification and it was literally brighter than my car’s low beam headlights. Keep in mind that that design is suitable for long gun use only.

Prices for the Inforce products seem to be all over the place, and I didn’t even realize I was ordering a light with IR capability until I received it, so shop carefully.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Streamlight Polytac x. The tail cap switch is perfect for a weapon light. I’m working on a cheap mount solution. Most of the mounts Out there cost more than the Polytac.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was playing cops and robbers I had to have a light per policy for my AR. I replaced my front sight with a meprolight so I could see it in the dark and I put a small rail on the left side at the front of the fore end. Then I mounted a stream light TLR1 (the cheapest one I could find) to satisfy the policy.

Because I could see my front sight in total darkness and when we used just a takedown bar light I could see the target enough I didn’t need the weapon mounted light.

The little pistol light gave me enoug light in a house or small building to see and shoot if needed. If I needed more light I had a stream light regular police flashlight that would melt people because I added a malkoff LED lamp that was something like 1000 lumens.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fz4vgq
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone ! I own a Streamlight ProTac HL 5-X USB that cranks out 3500 lumens of face melting light. I have been very happy with it but it is way too big for a weapon mount. I will checkout the Streamlight ProTac HL-X weapons mounted light as it operates the same as my nightstand light. There are so many good choices these days....... Fenix, Olight, Surefire, Thrunite, Inforce, Nitecore.......

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post