SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Old Shotgun (warning: large pics!)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Shotgun (warning: large pics!) Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
A coworker acquired an old ass 12 gauge shotgun.
He has no idea what it is as there aren't really any legible markings on it.

Anyone have a clue what this thing is?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Even larger pics can be found here if desired

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's an Iver Johnson shotgun made around the end of the 19th Century. The trigger guard is missing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
any idea what the lever thing is on the right side?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No. The ones I've seen didn't have that feature. The ring in front of the trigger opens the action. I don't know what the latch on the right side of the receiver is for. Maybe it's a takedown.

This is a black powder firearm, no longer safe for firing.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if the lever like thing is not something that was used to replace a lost pin...here is a pic from the internet that doesn't show it...can the pin be pushed flush?...neat old gun Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, considering the obvious extensive use that shotgun has seen, I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's an convenient solution for a broken pin.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
that's interesting - and kinda hilarious.

It does make sense that some dude lost/busted the pin there and just grabbed whatever he had handy and stuck it in there.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info folks!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure that it's some sort of ersatz replacement pin.

Here's an old ad for this shotgun. Note the lever on the side of the shotgun (although it's on the opposite side).

Also, from the photos in the OP, it looks like the lever lines up with a notch cut in the side of the receiver.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here are some photos of another example of this style of shotgun, with a lever in the same position. However, the lever is on the opposite side from the OP's, and is a slightly different style.

My guess is that's it's a takedown mechanism, since that appears to be the connection point between the barrel and the receiver. I'd guess that when the lever is rotated to a certain point, the pin is then able to slide out and release the barrel from the receiver.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Looks like a neat wall hanger.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
$7.25 - I wish guns were still that price....

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
any idea what the lever thing is on the right side?

Pre-Champion takedown lever. The wheel fits in the recess cut into the receiver.

Numrich might have the trigger guard.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
They are still that price. That single shot would cost about 200-250 in today's money. Heck I could probably rustle up a passable pump gun in that neighborhood. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

this gun probably still is that price

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Adjusted for inflation, $7.25 in 1900 dollars would be around $199 in 2017 dollars.

That's about the going rate for a new single-shot shotgun today.