SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Deer Gun Scope Mount Options - Base+Rings vs Integrated Base/Rings - Opinions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Gun Scope Mount Options - Base+Rings vs Integrated Base/Rings - Opinions? Login/Join 
posted
I recently purchased a budget deer gun, a Browning AB3 Composite Stalker in 30-06. It came with the AB3-specific 2-piece "alloy" Browning scope mount bases (p/n 12550). I was originally planning on buying some decent budget-friendly rings to put together with the included bases.

I'm wondering how much is to be gained by buying the aluminum alloy Browning integrated base/rings (p/n 12311) instead. Seems like one less joint is a good thing, unless I'm over-thinking it. I'm just a little sensitive to moving scope mounts, I blew a shot on a good buck a few years ago, and later found one of the rings to be loose. What say ye?

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My go to rings are Warne. Pricey but good. I would try out the Browning rings the gun came with first and see how they do.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of 1 piece anything if starting from scratch. Just fewer variable at play. Since you already have the bases, id pull the screws, blue Loctite them and toss a pair of Burris Signature Zee rings properly torques and loctited on them and never look back.

If you really want a no fuss solution Ive used these DNZ mounts on all my Tikkas and a Browing Abolt 12g:
http://www.dnzproducts.com/pro...e-reaper-browning-5/

Here is what they look like when mounted:

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
I recently purchased a budget deer gun, a Browning AB3 Composite Stalker in 30-06. It came with the AB3-specific 2-piece "alloy" Browning scope mount bases (p/n 12550). I was originally planning on buying some decent budget-friendly rings to put together with the included bases.

I'm wondering how much is to be gained by buying the aluminum alloy Browning integrated base/rings (p/n 12311) instead. Seems like one less joint is a good thing, unless I'm over-thinking it. I'm just a little sensitive to moving scope mounts, I blew a shot on a good buck a few years ago, and later found one of the rings to be loose. What say ye?

you got them so use them

doubt you will have any problem with them at all and since you got them with the firearm, Browning should stand behind them if they go bad

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, what came with the gun is bases only, no rings. Therfore, I'll have the screws to hold them to the receiver, then another joint at screwing the rings I'll need to buy to the bases that I have.

Conversely, I can purchase Browning rings that have bases integrated into the bottom of them, all one piece on each ring. They run about $50, not much more than buying rings alone.

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Base and Rings is a heavier setup. It is also modular and you can change out Optics easier. You can also get minute of angle shifting bases. Integrated bases and rings have a more classic look to them but are not easy to change out. Personally I like a base and rings so I can swap out optic easily.

I always say this until I carry my rifle in the field and I think it's heavy and I start wanting to strip weight off as much as I can. If you are a hunter that doesn't just sit in the stand I would go with the lightest setup possible.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, gents. I ended up ordering a DNZ 1-piece mount/ring kit per WARPIG's recommendation. Looks to be a solid, yet lightweight rig that gets great reviews, especially for the money. Thanks again!