SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ishapore 2A1 ?s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ishapore 2A1 ?s Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted
Whats the going rate on these? Anything to look for that would be a red flag?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
been selling in the mid atlantic in the $400 range, depending on condition,

red flags, just like anything else, condition,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
been selling in the mid atlantic in the $400 range, depending on condition,

red flags, just like anything else, condition,

I figured, but they all look pretty rough to me.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post

Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe I paid $75 for one when I was 18. I still have it and a fake Jungle Carbine that Navy Arms made in the 1990's. I have see these go for $400 to $600 in my neck of the woods. Mags are going from $50 to $75 some times.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
holy BIG pics Batman!!

nice looking rifle, need to ditch the sling,

if you buy it,
head over to gunboards and put they model (2a1 or 2a,)serial and year in the thread for RFI guns,

there is a guy there tracking them by year for some research,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
Hard to believe I paid $75 for one when I was 18. I still have it and a fake Jungle Carbine that Navy Arms made in the 1990's. I have see these go for $400 to $600 in my neck of the woods. Mags are going from $50 to $75 some times.

I remember it wasnt too long ago you would see a 55gal barrel with Mosins in them for 75-90 bucks.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Looks to be slightly above average condition for a 2A1. Some are ratty. A few are pristine. Most look about like that one, or a little more worn.

The USGI web sling is obviously incorrect, but you can get surplus British web slings for $10-$20 bucks online, so that's an easy fix.

Check the bore, obviously.

Check to see if all the numbers are matching too. It should have serial numbers on the front right side of the receiver, rear of the bolt handle, front of the nose cap, rear of the magazine, underside of the rear sight, and underside of the foreend. (The barrel will be serialized too, but you'd have to disassemble the rifle to see it.)

Some 2A1s have feeding issues, most of which are magazine-related. Some mags need to be tweaked to work well.

At one point I owned four 2A/2A1 rifles, but I got rid of all but the best condition one, starting a few years ago. They're fun rifles to shoot, with 12 rounds of .308 on tap, along with the slick Lee-Enfield action, but accuracy is middling, and they just don't have the same history behind them as other Lee-Enfield pattern rifles. So when I started to downsize my milsurp collection, those were easy choices to sell. I may end up selling my last one at some point too.

I paid $100-$150 for all of mine, several years ago. I sold the most recent one for $400 a year ago, and traded the other two for a Yugo SKS and a K98 a few years before that.

Personally, I don't think they're really worth spending $400 on, but that seems to be the going rate these days. Back when they were $100ish, I could recommend snagging one. But nowadays, if you just want a .308 bolt rifle with iron sights and a larger capacity magazine, you can get something like a Mossberg MVP Patrol for the same $400, which use M1A and AR10 magazines, and will be more accurate and potentially less finicky than a 2A1. Lighter, too.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post