SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PSA AR15 45 Auto Upper and Lower - Thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA AR15 45 Auto Upper and Lower - Thoughts? Login/Join 
posted
Looks like PSA has just introduced upper and lower assemblies for the AR 15 platform in .45 Auto, using Glock magazines. I recently received my NFA stamp for a 10.5" SBR build in 300 Blk., and am curious whether the .45 offers any advantage, compared to a 220 grain .300 Blk at subsonic velocities, with the exception of making a bigger hole?

http://palmettostatearmory.com...ign=Daily+Deal+Email

Still waiting on ATF approval for my Griffin suppressor, which will handle .45, 9mm, and subsonic .300 Blk., for use on the SBR and a few pistols as well.

Overall, intended purpose will likely be mostly range use, but have considered for home defense with the suppressor, with the right bullet for expansion at subsonic velocities. I already have .45 Auto in three Sig pistols and a Ruger SR1911, so it wouldn't be a new cartridge for me, and I do reload in various calibers as well.

Aside from the "cool" factor of having a .45 Auto in an AR platform, does it plug any gaps which haven't already been filled? Does anyone see an advantage of .45 Auto in AR 15, vs. either .300 Blk at subsonic or .458 SOCOM, for that matter, with the exception of lower-cost factory ammo?

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
While the AR45 certainly has curb appeal, as a previous early adopter of PSA products, I'd wait a while for the bugs to get ironed out.

That said, unless I had a pile of .45 laying around and Glock .45s too, I'd probably pass on the AR 45, especially since you already have the 300 BLK.

Good luck!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
While the AR45 certainly has curb appeal, as a previous early adopter of PSA products, I'd wait a while for the bugs to get ironed out.

That said, unless I had a pile of .45 laying around and Glock .45s too, I'd probably pass on the AR 45, especially since you already have the 300 BLK.

Good luck!

Sjames, thanks for the feedback. You make some very good points. I do not have Glock 45 mags, so that would be another adder, for sure. I was considering another SBR build, in a larger caliber, so will keep looking. Am anxious to see how the market accepts this.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merc50:
Am anxious to see how the market accepts this.

Once people get to shoot one, the market will be very accepting of it. I know I was 2 years ago!

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
quote:
Originally posted by Merc50:
Am anxious to see how the market accepts this.

Once people get to shoot one, the market will be very accepting of it. I know I was 2 years ago!

I guess I sort of view it as a newer version of a Thompson. While I have never owned one, I did shoot a friend's semi-auto Thompson years ago. It was a blast.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I got to try out one of the .45 ACP ARs that Macon Armory built, and it was a neat shooter.

Reminded me more of a Grease Gun than a Thompson.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've already got the 300blk.

If you want a range toy then get the 9mm kit, 33rd stick mags or ~55rd Korea drums. Just as fun but cheaper to feed, and the bugs are worked out.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slare:
You've already got the 300blk.

If you want a range toy then get the 9mm kit, 33rd stick mags or ~55rd Korea drums. Just as fun but cheaper to feed, and the bugs are worked out.

Slare, I agree, the 9mm would be a good choice. I strongly considered one last year, but decided to build the Blk SBR instead. Will take another look at the 9mm.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I do not like that they are proprietary. (The lower that is presuming it is like on their 9mm)
I wish one could use the lower with anyone's upper.
I'll get around to building a 10mm on a New Frontier Armory large frame Glock lower eventually.

My 9mm SBR is a hoot (not PSA) it uses Colt mags.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I do not like that they are proprietary. (The lower that is presuming it is like on their 9mm)
I'll get around to building a 10mm on a New Frontier Armory large frame Glock lower eventually.

Isn't EVERY manufacturer of these pistol-caliber ARs producing a gun that is proprietary to at least some degree? Seems like they all use a certain number of standard AR parts, but getting an AR to shoot 9mm, .40, .45, ad infinitum, means something needs tweaked!

Wink

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
quote:

Isn't EVERY manufacturer of these pistol-caliber ARs producing a gun that is proprietary to at least some degree? Seems like they all use a certain number of standard AR parts, but getting an AR to shoot 9mm, .40, .45, ad infinitum, means something needs tweaked!

Wink

Not really.
PSA PCC lowers must be mated with their hybrid upper as they call it. I think but am not positive that they require the use of their BCG as well.

My 9mm AR can use any 9mm BCG, any milspec upper, and any AR trigger. Buffer of course is caliber dependent but it is not brand proprietary.

————————————————

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Wink

No tweaking, just drops in and you start shooting. PSA 9 lowers will work with any 9mm upper... personally I think they put you have to use their stuff, just to get people to buy more of their sh!t !

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
quote:
quote:

Wink

No tweaking, just drops in and you start shooting. PSA 9 lowers will work with any 9mm upper... personally I think they put you have to use their stuff, just to get people to buy more of their sh!t !

You have you used the PSA 9mm lower with a nonPSA upper?
Seems like an odd sales tactic to put in big bold red letters MUST BE USED WITH PSA HYBRID UPPER.

————————————————