SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope rings- loctite or no loctite?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope rings- loctite or no loctite? Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted
I'm about to mount a scope onto my Ruger 10/22. Im going to use loctite blue on the base, but what about the ring caps?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd use a dot of the blue on the ring caps too as I've had issues with them backing off a little.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Clear nail polish,used for decades,and that on all my rifles from 22 all the way up to 300 ultra mag..
Scopes sometime fail and you might want to replace without a bunch of hassle.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
This is what I use. ADM recommended it for their mount and specifically said not to use Loctite.

Vibra-TITE

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just mounted a scope on a CZ, Warne rings. I about never use loctite. If I was, a little on the base screws would be O.K.

Those grip screws on the P238 and P938 need the loctite.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
This is what I use. ADM recommended it for their mount and specifically said not to use Loctite.

Vibra-TITE

What FireAway says. A older retired NCO I met at the Quantico gun club years ago advised this to be much better then loctite. More options,adjustable, and still solid as a rock. Do not get the tube. Get the 30 ml bottle.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Ido unless its says specifically not too. I beleive KDG also recommends Vibratite

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I never use loctite on rings or bases. Never had aproblem except when I bought a rifle and scope and when I wanted to take the scope off, had to use a heat gun, then torch, then finally drill out the screws because they wouldn't turn because previous owner had glued them down. Could be he just used the wrong glue... but I find it unnecessary in all but maybe the most extreme cases.

I especially would not glue them on a rimfire.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quality rings and bases don't need anything other than proper torquing.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
The purple loctite is made for the smaller screws like those used in scope rings.

Been using it for years on guns and will continue.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Another for no need with the proper tool(s) and torqued to spec...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine the need for thread locker on a 10/22. I don't use it on rifles chambered for 308 Winchester.
Want to? Fine.
Necessary if the screws are tightened properly? No.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not necessary.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not unless I have a problem. I torque to spec and havent had an issue besides when I was just getting started and used crap mounts.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
For something less difficult to break free, paint clean threads with a tiny bit of Testors model paint, let dry, and assemble. Threads will lock just fine, and a bottle of is less than 2 dollars.

Nail polish is another low cost option, and if you are married/have a girlfriend/have a "differing lifestyle", chances are you already have access to it Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Ive used blue loctite for years, and loved it. UNTIL I found Vibratite.

VibraTite can be reused several times.

Both work, but I would honestly advise you to pick up some non-permanent VibraTite. It is good stuff.

And YES you always use some sort of thread locker on any and everything that is bolted to a gun. If you don't, its an improper installation. Exceptions are properly designed vibration resistant mounts.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Thanks, just ordered some Vibra-tite. Going to use it on the mount. Probably will use just a very small bit on the rings if any.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would never use loctite on a scope. Just asking for trouble in the future.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll use blue locktite for attaching the bases to the rifle, but never had a need to use them on the scope rings.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Depends for me. Anything with a good bit of recoil or duty use gets blue loctite on everything. Anything justs get blue on the bases. Have used vibratite as well. Haven't noticed a different when taking something apart thats had one vs the other on it. If I don't use loctite then I grease the threada before torquing them down. Another thing I always do with scopes is using rosin on the rings to prevent any slipping.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post