SIGforum
Scope rings- loctite or no loctite?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/3240032734

February 04, 2018, 12:02 AM
Nismo
Scope rings- loctite or no loctite?
I'm about to mount a scope onto my Ruger 10/22. Im going to use loctite blue on the base, but what about the ring caps?
February 04, 2018, 12:55 AM
jimmy123x
Yeah, I'd use a dot of the blue on the ring caps too as I've had issues with them backing off a little.
February 04, 2018, 04:33 AM
45 Cal
Clear nail polish,used for decades,and that on all my rifles from 22 all the way up to 300 ultra mag..
Scopes sometime fail and you might want to replace without a bunch of hassle.
February 04, 2018, 05:59 AM
Fire Away
This is what I use. ADM recommended it for their mount and specifically said not to use Loctite.

Vibra-TITE
February 04, 2018, 06:05 AM
sourdough44
I just mounted a scope on a CZ, Warne rings. I about never use loctite. If I was, a little on the base screws would be O.K.

Those grip screws on the P238 and P938 need the loctite.
February 04, 2018, 06:24 AM
Cliff
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
This is what I use. ADM recommended it for their mount and specifically said not to use Loctite.

Vibra-TITE

What FireAway says. A older retired NCO I met at the Quantico gun club years ago advised this to be much better then loctite. More options,adjustable, and still solid as a rock. Do not get the tube. Get the 30 ml bottle.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

February 04, 2018, 07:12 AM
WARPIG602
Ido unless its says specifically not too. I beleive KDG also recommends Vibratite

February 04, 2018, 07:24 AM
YellowJacket
I never use loctite on rings or bases. Never had aproblem except when I bought a rifle and scope and when I wanted to take the scope off, had to use a heat gun, then torch, then finally drill out the screws because they wouldn't turn because previous owner had glued them down. Could be he just used the wrong glue... but I find it unnecessary in all but maybe the most extreme cases.

I especially would not glue them on a rimfire.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
February 04, 2018, 07:27 AM
fritz
Quality rings and bases don't need anything other than proper torquing.
February 04, 2018, 08:54 AM
gjgalligan
The purple loctite is made for the smaller screws like those used in scope rings.

Been using it for years on guns and will continue.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.
February 04, 2018, 12:37 PM
CandyMan.45
Another for no need with the proper tool(s) and torqued to spec...
February 04, 2018, 12:51 PM
sigfreund
I cannot imagine the need for thread locker on a 10/22. I don't use it on rifles chambered for 308 Winchester.
Want to? Fine.
Necessary if the screws are tightened properly? No.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
February 04, 2018, 01:26 PM
Chris Orndorff
Absolutely not necessary.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

February 04, 2018, 02:44 PM
Anubismp
Not unless I have a problem. I torque to spec and havent had an issue besides when I was just getting started and used crap mounts.
February 04, 2018, 03:03 PM
gearhounds
For something less difficult to break free, paint clean threads with a tiny bit of Testors model paint, let dry, and assemble. Threads will lock just fine, and a bottle of is less than 2 dollars.

Nail polish is another low cost option, and if you are married/have a girlfriend/have a "differing lifestyle", chances are you already have access to it Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
February 04, 2018, 06:30 PM
bubbatime
Ive used blue loctite for years, and loved it. UNTIL I found Vibratite.

VibraTite can be reused several times.

Both work, but I would honestly advise you to pick up some non-permanent VibraTite. It is good stuff.

And YES you always use some sort of thread locker on any and everything that is bolted to a gun. If you don't, its an improper installation. Exceptions are properly designed vibration resistant mounts.

February 05, 2018, 04:12 AM
Nismo
Thanks, just ordered some Vibra-tite. Going to use it on the mount. Probably will use just a very small bit on the rings if any.
February 05, 2018, 02:59 PM
Gutpile Charlie
I would never use loctite on a scope. Just asking for trouble in the future.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

February 05, 2018, 07:25 PM
jaybirdaccountant
I'll use blue locktite for attaching the bases to the rifle, but never had a need to use them on the scope rings.
February 05, 2018, 07:57 PM
smpsmp
Depends for me. Anything with a good bit of recoil or duty use gets blue loctite on everything. Anything justs get blue on the bases. Have used vibratite as well. Haven't noticed a different when taking something apart thats had one vs the other on it. If I don't use loctite then I grease the threada before torquing them down. Another thing I always do with scopes is using rosin on the rings to prevent any slipping.