SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question about separate red dot sight magnifiers.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about separate red dot sight magnifiers. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I thought I knew the answer to this, but then I ran across something recently that (may have) indicated I was wrong:

Do the separate flip-up magnifiers that are commonly placed in line behind optical sights like Aimpoints magnify the visual size of the red dot reticle as well as the image of the target?

I always assumed so, but if true, I also assume there’s no way they could change the relative size of the dot and image; i.e., if unmagnified dot covers 4 MOA of the target, it would still be 4 MOA as compared with the magnified image—correct? The statement (by a scope manufacturer, IIRC) seemed to suggest that if a separate 3× magnifier was used, it would be like having a 12 MOA dot covering the target.

As I say, I think I know the answer to both questions, but I’ve been wrong before and am therefore asking those who use magnifiers with red dot sights.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The dot doesn't change size - the magnifier magnifies both the image with the dot, so if it's 2 MOA, it remains 2 MOA.

It appears 'bigger' because the image is magnified, but it is the same size.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
It appears 'bigger' because the image is magnified, but it is the same size.

All right. That makes sense and is what I expected, but wanted to check. Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post