SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need a good GREEN WML and good IR flood light
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a good GREEN WML and good IR flood light Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Went hunting last weekend for opening day, Friday night we decided to do some hog stalking. I bought PVS14s last year and could not wait to try them out, I had used them a great deal in the Army but never for hunting. The 14s worked great but I was rather disappointed in the Streamlight IR torch I bought to use with them.

The beam was too tight and was useless in foilage, I should have figured that last part but I need to find a better IR "spot" light, something that will cover at least 25M at 75M.

Also the cheapy WML I had mounted and had worked well at 30-40m sucked at 75-100, I put my upgraded 6P on the rifle and it worked much better as it threw good light easily out to 75m but again the beam pattern was to tight.

So the search begins...I would prefer green as from what I have read the hogs...and other game notice it much less than white or even red light.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the surefire convertible head. I've been really happy with it at those ranges. Its too bright at close distance but I'd rather not be shooting at hogs anywhere that is a problem.
I use a dbal for the laser but that's probably not the best in this case.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have a TNVC Torch Pro MKII and it is the best IR illuminator I have ever seen. Beam width is adjustable. Not sure if it hits your criteria exactly for beam width, I have never measured it like that.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Malkoff Device Throws a wide beam and built like a tank.

The dropins on that page will fit your 6P. The M61 should fit your needs. Add a green filter and you're all set.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para are we talking to get green light for hog hunting or IR light in the above suggestion? If IR does the surefire caution about this apply here?
NOTE: Infrared filters are unsuitable for LED white light flashlights, which produce negligible infrared radiation.
I've been wondering how to get both good white light and IR out of some of my older surefires.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post